Weight loss and menstrual cycle?

Options
So ladies I have seen often "your weight loss also will vary depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle" but I'm wondering if it is the same for every woman like on average. Do we gain weight at a certain time (before after during)? Do you normally see this extra weight (I assume bloat and water retention) come off with no extra effort? Help!! :)

Replies

• Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just had my period a week ago for the first time since my diet/exercise plan about 27 days ago. I had cramps, was a bit bloated here and there, but stuck with my calories and continued to exercise.

I still managed to lose that week which had me pretty pumped. This coming week will be interesting to see if I lose more or if I remain the same. I've been consistently losing about 1-1.5 lbs per week with or without my period.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I feel a definite weight gain, but it's water rather than actual fat. It tends to go as soon as my period has gone. I do find that I crave certain foods during my period (mainly lardy, crappy food) so if I didn't watch what I ate then I would definitely gain FAT.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I still lost weight with right before and getting it. However...what I DID find what that I was almost 3 weeks early. I did some googling and found that when a woman begins to lose weight, drastically changes her diet (i.e. low carbs!!), her menstrual cycle will vary until her body can catch up. Anyone else experience this? Really freaked me out. I'm even on BC and it was still early!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I still lost weight with right before and getting it. However...what I DID find what that I was almost 3 weeks early. I did some googling and found that when a woman begins to lose weight, drastically changes her diet (i.e. low carbs!!), her menstrual cycle will vary until her body can catch up. Anyone else experience this? Really freaked me out. I'm even on BC and it was still early!

I went through that...I was about 2 weeks late the first month I made drastic changes, and then this month I'm a week early. I'm about 4 mos into my journey. I typically gain 2-5 lbs during TOM, and it goes away about 2 days after I'm done.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Typically I can't lose any weight during ovulation week, and often I will go up 2-3 pounds that week. Then it all comes back down to normal once the flow starts.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i usually feel more sluggish and heavy during mine; I love that last day and the day right after because I have this great feeling of slimming down and tightening up! Then I settle back into my normal groove :grumble:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I didn't seem to gain weight but I tried hard not to pig out like I wanted to. I am also on BC and mine came on & off the week before it was supposed to and stayed the whole time it was supposed to be here. Ugh.
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I actually dont gain during my cycle...I get all bloated feeling and what not, but I havent seen the numbers rise. I do drink a ton of water though so I always am flushing myself out and I think that makes a difference. But, I still lose weight on my cycle just like any other week. I dont really stop exercising and I have not had any of the chocolate cravings I normally do....weird...lol,,,
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I typically bloat and either plateau or gain a little. I hope that's what's going on this week.. I'm a week late, I've been watching what I eat, exercising, and gaining weight. It's pretty discouraging actually, but hopefully it'll even out in 1-2 weeks.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    my period arrived today, and since weds ive stayed the same, thats normal for me, i will notice myself peeing more over the next couple of days and should see a few more pounds go in the next couple of days.

i just retain a heck of a lot of water.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options

This is happening to me now as I speak...it's been 3 weeks that I have been watching my calorie intake, sodium, carbs, sugars...etc...and this month I am two days late...When I have been on a 33 day cycle...I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much since I still feel crampy! So, soon it shall come!
  • zoeewilliams
    Options
    Since losing weight, i dont get my period, even though im at a healthy weight & have lost it the healthy way.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I had enormous fibriods, my uterus was enlarged to the size of a womans that was 5 mos pregnant when I was on my period.

I gained between 3 to 5 lbs of water and fecal matter, since I typically became very constipated 3 or 4 days before I started. I usually held onto this for around 7 to 10 days, its according to how bad my cycles was. My problems were not typical and I ended up having to have a hysterectomy due to my problems.

I will also say that I would over eat chocolate and not really care for 2 to 3 days per month, so that did not help matters much. :(
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

That's interesting I've lost about 35lbs and the last 2 months my periods have been really erratic both times a week late, water went on and off and it hadn't started so thought it wasn't coming, then few days later it started a week late, I wasn't sure if it was cos I had exercised heavily the week before, or lost a pound the week before they were due to start, or if it was per-menopause (I'm 42).. i did switch to gluten free/low carb last august.