Barefoot at the gym, treadmill

Options

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    there are shoes that you can get that mimic the barefoot feeling. i have the new balance minimus and i love them
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Invest in a pair of VFFs. I have 2 pair (the Komodo Sports in yellow & black, and the bormios)
    They are WONDERFUL! I never want to go back to regular shoes. I've even set a PR in a recent race wearing my komodos.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    It might be a easy way to pick up MRSA and sometimes being careful is not enough..
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't run barefoot on a treadmill because it's dangerous for your toes - if they get caught on the edge of the belt they could literally get ripped off. I know it sounds unlikely, but accidents do happen.

I'm all for barefoot running - I used to hike barefoot. But for your own safety you should run on a trail or reasonably safe sidewalk, especially if the callouses on your feet aren't built up yet. (Urban areas can have broken glass, so be careful.) Don't run on the treadmill without some sort of foot protection.
  • JodieTennant
    JodieTennant Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Being a Personal Trainer, I know that the best way of training and developing muscles properly is going barefoot- I workout like this all the time at home.
    It is a difficult thing in the gym because there are going to be a lot of people moan about the hygiene aspect. For this reason I would recommend you get the Vivo barefoot shoes too, they can just be shoved in the wash when they get stinky (what difference is it to trainers getting stinky- I have smelt some right stinkers in disgusting trainers at my gym- and also in that case- it's ok for people to be working out on the mats in their stinky trainers that have potentially trod in dog poo etc.??)
    Most decent gyms I have ever been in have disinfectant sprays and tissue paper readily available to wipe down mats and equipment after you use them (if they don't, then ask them to get some)
    Definitely keep up with barefoot as much as you can- definitely the way forward- well done!
  • amyrp8c
    amyrp8c Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ur feet are actually ALOT cleaner than ur hands, think about everyhting u touch esp at the gym and i highly doubt u wash ur hands between each machine or weights that u lift......dont think i wld have an issue with someone walking about bare foot, in fact there r plenty of men that do in my gym when they r lifting the weights.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Try getting those toe-shoes. They aren't exactly cheap ($100 for a mid-tier pair I believe) but they give many of the benefits of bare-foot running without the unnerving the other people who use the equipment.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Any gym owner would say this is a no-no simply from a legal perspective. Seriously. Even if you agree to not sue if you get hurt, all you have to do is get hurt to change your mind... just try out some VFFs and you'll be good to go.

Not too many hands carry athlete's foot fungus, btw...

And dog poo on indoor gym shoes is not cool either, gross.
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use the vibram five fingers because they are good for people who have flat feet. You can buy them here. It is like walking barefoot. You can go here to buy them http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    gross.......sorry
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    exactly ..i wouldnt want to be using the treadmill behind someone that isnt wearing shoes ..perhaps you can buy a pair of shoes that have the toes looking thingys ..do you know what i mean ....i would ask your gym first before doing that

I agree, but at the same time...I am wearing shoes, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I ran after someone who was barefoot...

The problem is, once one does it, more will follow. That's when the whole sanitary issue will blow up.

My gym requires that you wear training shoes. I have a pair specifically for the gym :smile:
  • shellybean826
    Options
    exactly ..i wouldnt want to be using the treadmill behind someone that isnt wearing shoes ..perhaps you can buy a pair of shoes that have the toes looking thingys ..do you know what i mean ....i would ask your gym first before doing that

I agree, but at the same time...I am wearing shoes, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I ran after someone who was barefoot...

oh true huh ...duhhhhhhhhh lol
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Look into getting some vibram shoes. It's like being barefoot... but not. They're kind of pricy, but so it a good pair of running shoes.
  • misfixit1
    misfixit1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    its unsanitary plus it will wear the skin right off your feet. i did it once on my own personal treadmill.. lets say it hurts
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask someone at the gym? I've never seen anyone use one of the treadmills barefoot, but I do know someone who will run the track barefoot because she's trying to get in to barefoot running but it's too cold to actually run outside barefoot. It probably just depends on the gym and what you're wanting to do barefoot.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Also using a BOSU barefoot is gross, because people use those with their hands and arms, they are not just intended for standing on. Sorry, but it's true. I wouldn't want to be on a BOSU doing an elbow plank after someone stood on it barefoot. Gross gross gross.

pardon my ignorance, but what is a bosu?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    gross.......sorry

This
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Just get some Vibram FiveFingers shoes and you'll be good to go. They are great for strengthening foot muscles and mimic natural walking with the protection of a "shoe". They also help correct biomechanical problems, strengthen knee and lower leg muscles, and prevent injury due to postural and stride irregularities.

I wanted to get those, but from word of mouth i heard they end up stinking bad.
    You can wash them in the washing machine. Also, most of the stink is due to people having foot fungus. If you have that problem then cure it and the stink goes away.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also using a BOSU barefoot is gross, because people use those with their hands and arms, they are not just intended for standing on. Sorry, but it's true. I wouldn't want to be on a BOSU doing an elbow plank after someone stood on it barefoot. Gross gross gross.

pardon my ignorance, but what is a bosu?

^^THIS^^