Compression Socks?

Options
I get awful shin splints every time I try running. My shins kick my *kitten* far before my lungs or anything else does. Does anyone have any suggestions? Someone told me to try compression socks....do these really work?

Replies

• StacyX582
    Options
    YES. They make a huge difference, I got them for Christmas. The absence of leg pain is such a good feeling!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have wondered if they really work too. I would like to know before I spend 40-60 dollars on them. I have heard people say they are great for recovery after a long run, but I have never heard about helping with shin splints.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have a couple pairs of Zensah compression sleeves. They mitigate the pain to an extent, but it's not an open invitation to overtrain (yes, I found out the hard way lol).
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you new to running? Running is really hard on your body, and you should take it really easy when you first start. I started 4 years ago with the Couch to 5k program, it's a wonderful program that slowly builds your body up to running. I went from not being able to run 3 minutes straight to now running 25+ miles a week, I've done a ton of half marathons, and a full marathon.

I would also make sure that you have the correct shoes. Go to a real running store so that you can have you running style looked at. Running in the wrong shoes your your body can cause a ton of damage. Once they put you in the correct shoes, start out really slow, and make sure you have at lease a day in between your runs to start.

Ice can help a lot too. After your runs ice your shins for about 10 minute, I've even done in before runs.

All that being said, I do love compression anything for running! I think compression socks help me personally, so if you know you have the right shoes, are breaking into running slowly, and icing, they might be a good thing to try!

There's a good article on Runners World's website about shin splint too! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-624--529-0,00.html

Hope this helps a bit!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've never worn compression socks, but I've also never heard of them being used to help shin splints. (That doesn't mean they can't help them; just means that's not a primary use I've ever heard of!) I agree with the reply above to go to a local running store (not a large chain sports store; a real running store) and get fitted for shoes by them, if you haven't already. The right shoes can completely eliminate shin splint pain.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like my compression socks when I'm a little sore. To help prevent shin splints you should strengthen your leg. I warm up with toe taps and just pushing up on my toes like releve in ballet.
  • wbgolden
    Options
    The right shoes can completely eliminate shin splint pain.
    Pronation issues can cause shin splints, but they are also a classic overuse injury. Shoes can theoretically take care of the pronation problem, but they're not a free pass to run more than your legs are ready for.
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I use calf sleeves (the particular brand Tommie Copper, although there are a variety of brands out there) and I have 0 muscle ache and injuries and I run about 23-30 miles a week. They are a life saver!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Pronation issues can cause shin splints, but they are also a classic overuse injury. Shoes can theoretically take care of the pronation problem, but they're not a free pass to run more than your legs are ready for.

Right... that's why I said they "can" completely eliminate shin splint pain, rather than the "will" or "are guaranteed to". Completely agree that you can still have shin splints running in new, well fit shoes, but it's an obvious first place to start.
  • wbgolden
    Options

Right... that's why I said they "can" completely eliminate shin splint pain, rather than the "will" or "are guaranteed to". Completely agree that you can still have shin splints running in new, well fit shoes, but it's an obvious first place to start.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I was just worried someone would get new shoes and think they're ready for a Marathon. :happy:
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess my next stop is a shoe store to get fitted for some good running shoes....hope they know what they are talking about!