Barefoot at the gym, treadmill

Options

Replies

• lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I bought some Nike 3 V3s that are almost barefoot minimal running shoes and I may move onto some Vivobarefoot shoes eventually when I get used to less support. I am enjoying running with them as I really don't like striking heavily on my heel or heavily padded shoes.

You could try these too? They have the advantage of not having the toe thing which I think looks a bit silly... I was advised to go slow with my Nike V3s to get used to them and to running differently, otherwise I may risk injuring myself.
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use the vibram five fingers because they are good for people who have flat feet. You can buy them here. It is like walking barefoot. You can go here to buy them http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

This negates everything I heard about being flat footed, because I very much am. So....if flat footed folks overpronate, doesn't that wreak havoc on folks like me with flat feet that get shin splints? Educate a sista...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Well, unless you are ONLY walking barefoot on the treadmill (taking your shoes off once you get on it) then it's a sanitary issue. Once you start walking around the gym floor, ESPECIALLY in areas where people stretch and are sitting on the floor, then your foot germs will get on the floor and others who are seated on the floor can pick them up... ick... public pools are different because generally people are in and out of the chlorine, helping minimize germs and whatnot. I know from experience that gym floors are not necessarily sanitized on a regular basis... eew, just the thought of doing a pushup on the floor in someone else's athlete's foot sweat is nasty.
    As opposed to doing pushups on the floor after someone has tracked in from outside whatever was on the bottom of their shoe . . . Spit, dog crap, etc.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options

.I am wearing shoes, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I ran after someone who was barefoot...

Yep! Umm...in my yoga class at the gym everyone is barefoot...so to be honest, I don't think much of it. I doubt I'd notice if someone was barefoot on a treadmill. lol I'm usually oblivious to people around me once I get running or whaatever...just zone out.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As opposed to doing pushups on the floor after someone has tracked in from outside whatever was on the bottom of their shoe . . . Spit, dog crap, etc.

Exactly! Shoes are way grosser to me than feet!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Was curious too........
  • ujeank
    ujeank Posts: 1
    Options
    i think everybody is over reacting of the "gross" part of not wearing shoes to a gym. what's so gross about it? i dont get it at all. when somebody walks into my house, they are expected to take off their shoes in the entrance. because who knows what they've stepped in. in my opinion, your bare feet are a lot cleaner than peoples shoes. so the "gross" part should be for everybody who IS wearing shoes.

on the other side though, to the person who is NOT wearing shoes, do you really want to have your bare feet touch whatever it is that the shoe wearers have dragged in? i really don't think so. so yes a pair of toe shoes would be your best best, for your own safety from these shoe wears.

and to all those people who have a hygiene issue with somebody NOT wearing shoes? Really? C'mon, i'm guessing you're also one of those people at the gym who doesn't sweat at all. and finds it gross when others sweat. if you do have a "hygiene" issue with somebody who doesn't wear shoes. then dont lick where they've walked. What's the big deal.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing shoes how in the world would it be a big deal to go after someone that is barefoot?
    Yeah, I was going to ask this too.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "Oh noes that's gross."

People these days are such germaphobes. It's probably not permitted for safety reasons since you're on a machine with moving parts and you could mess up your foot that way. However, do what you want until you're told otherwise I'd say.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Feet are gross. I seriously have an issue with feet. I hate seeing feet, I hate smelling feet, I hate thinking that there are feet around me, and I hate feet touching me (friends and my ex's like to tease me by purposely putting their feet on me any chance they get. usually results in a backhand).

So to see someone at the gym prancing around with their toes all out would make me leave, quickly! I follow the one simple rule about public: No shoes, No shirt, No service.

Oh and about doing push-ups on the floor and shoes tracking in dirt, most people use mats so there's like a full inch between your face and the cold floor.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You would not have a problem doing a front plank with your palms or elbows on a BOSU after someone stood on it with sweaty nasty bare feet?
    Pu, they do, but they're machine washable. Use some oxy stuff and you're golden.

People with the hygiene reasons are hilarious.

To the OP, it frowned upon in most gyms, same as crossfit, functional training, lifting heavy...

Who was talking about BOSU?
  • Heatherdfowler
    Options
    I say if you want to, go for it. I wear shoes while working out so if someone were to be barefoot on the machine before I used it it wouldn't concern me at all. Now for safty reasons I probably wouldn't do it. What if you began to sweat and slipped off the the treadmill. It may be dangerous
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    that's disgusting. if i saw someone barefoot in my gym i'd ask them to leave or i'd get someone who works at the gym to do so. i don't even understand why one would consider walking in a gym barefoot in the first place. yuck.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    i think everybody is over reacting of the "gross" part of not wearing shoes to a gym. what's so gross about it? i dont get it at all.

Athletes Foot?
    MRSA?

Then they go into your socks and shoes and grow like fungus do in warm moist environment. No one typically gets athletes foot on their hands - why, because we are taught to wash the, with hot soap and water. The majority of people aren't going to be using antibacterial gel on their feet. Just assume, people aren't clean.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    "Oh noes that's gross."

People these days are such germaphobes. It's probably not permitted for safety reasons since you're on a machine with moving parts and you could mess up your foot that way. However, do what you want until you're told otherwise I'd say.

Yeah. I'm gonna guess that many of the HANDS that touch the gym equipment are covered in much more gross stuff than the feet. And yeah, I know that you are supposed to wipe stuff down and whatnot, but everyone knows that most people at the gym are not walking around with a rag and bottle of sanitizer to wipe down EVERYTHING they touch.

Now, I wouldn't want to go around barefoot because I have had my fair share of athlete's foot and I would rather avoid it if possible. That said, I know that is the risk that *I* take if I am barefoot. If I am wearing shoes, I couldn't care at all of *other* people are barefoot. I don't get the appeals to sanitation.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    lmao, I'm sorry but I can understand for legal reasons but not much else. If you're wearing shoes how in the world would it be a big deal to go after someone that is barefoot? I agree with the toe shoes though, my hubby has a pair of skeletoes and swears they've helped with knee pain. After the responses here I'm positive you would get the same in your gym!

If only one person in the gym went barefoot it would not create a health issue for anyone else except the one in bare feet....BUT with the recent move toward barefoot training (running, walking & aerobics). There would likely be more than one person in the gym who would prefer to train barefooted.... there is your health problem.

Should the gym only allow 1 of it's members to train without shoes... or control the problem all together by requiring everyone wear shoes?

This says nothing to address risk of injury from weights or weight machine and health risk from those bare feet on the mats and bosu balls, where others lay down to stretch..... YUCK!!!!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm doing leg extensions my shorts feel kind of tight around the front of my leg. I should probably just do that exercise without any pants on so I can perform the exercise more smoothly. I mean, everyone else using the machine wears pants so it's totally not a problem, right? :glasses:
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    lmao, I'm sorry but I can understand for legal reasons but not much else. If you're wearing shoes how in the world would it be a big deal to go after someone that is barefoot? I agree with the toe shoes though, my hubby has a pair of skeletoes and swears they've helped with knee pain. After the responses here I'm positive you would get the same in your gym!

If only one person in the gym went barefoot it would not create a health issue for anyone else except the one in bare feet....BUT with the recent move toward barefoot training (running, walking & aerobics). There would likely be more than one person in the gym who would prefer to train barefooted.... there is your health problem.

Should the gym only allow 1 of it's members to train without shoes... or control the problem all together by requiring everyone wear shoes?
    But all of those people going barefoot know that they are the ones exposing their feet to.... whatever it is that is so scary.
    This says nothing to address risk of injury from weights or weight machine.
    Yeah. This part makes sense.
    and health risk from those bare feet on the mats and bosu balls, where others lay down to stretch..... YUCK!!!!
    What health risk, exactly? That is, what health risk that isn't otherwise posed by people laying their sweaty bodies down and stretching? Or getting their germy hands all over stuff?
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Excellent comments all round thanks. Glad I asked !

I am VERY considerate of others, and never really had thought about the fungal thing :noway: , etc. Even getting it from someone else ewwww. I bring my own yoga mat and towel to wipe down equipment after.

Joined the gym 2 weeks ago for physiotherapy exercises (my phys has me take shoes off) and we all have our shoes off in Body Balance class (my fave).

I don't like losing a toe as much as the next person.

They're staying on, dog poo, leaves and everyones sweat droplets can be tracked around under my shoes protecting my feet lol.

As for the minimalist thing ... yeah, at home, or suitable shoes in the bushwalks.

As for the BOSU, make up your own mind ... wouldnt be using with my arms after someones dogpoo shoes (my shoes are clean enough for someone who tends towards OCD / anxiety :laugh: ).

I only ever use the BOSU round side down, flat side up to learn to balance.

Note to self - see how I can get minimalist shoes before my birthday in September.

My Fitness Pals ROCK !
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It appears that some people here never learned that you are supposed to wash even your feet when you bathe.