calories with running

Options
I have been using the nike distance wristband for over a year now. It tells the distance, speed , cal and time of my jog. Well today I did 3 mile jog in 30 min 40 sec. So I entered it in the exercise here and it said I burned over 600 cal. Now on My Nike band is said I only burned 311. So which one should I use . It is such a big diffrence. TIA

meant to say 30 min and 40 sec lol

Replies

• Kassieisproud
    Options
    Use the band im guessing it also tracks your heart rate? If so it is much more accurate and if you can do three miles in that time than you must be in great shape which unfortunetly means you burn less calories but can probably work out longer
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Check that time. That's a 3:33/mile pace.
  • ajax321
    ajax321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    meant to say 30 min and 40 sec to do a 3 mile jog
  • jackalaylee
    jackalaylee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    OK that's better lol. If your band does heart rate, trust that. As long as it's set up correctly. I've been mostly unhappy with MFP's calorie guesses. They're never very close to what my HRM reports.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile.

Not for everyone. For me it's about 500 cals per 7 miles.

I would go with the wrist band. MFP is way out for running.
  • ajax321
    ajax321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dont think the nike band does my heart rate. But will go with a 100 cal a mile. I want to lose 15 pounds , and I havent lost very much. think it will take a while .thanks
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb (which is by no means as accurate as a HRM with a chest strap):

calories burned running / mile = 0.75 * your body weight (in lb.)
  • jackalaylee
    jackalaylee Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Not for everyone. For me it's about 500 cals per 7 miles.

Very true.

Anyway, if you're trying to choose between 600 or 330 for 3 miles though, I would recommend 330 based on this estimate. :)