Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
I'm thinking about getting a heart rate monitor to keep more accurate track of calories burned. So, what do you use? Why do you like it? What would you recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 with a chest strap. I barely notice the chest strap at all. I love it because it gives me a better idea of how I'm doing that just guestimating or using MFP. It's programed to take into account my height, weight, age, etc. so it's more personalized to me. I've heard the Polar FT4 is pretty decent as well.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mother no longer uses her HRM so she said I could use it. She has a Polar F4 (not sure how old it is) with the chest strap. I used it today for the first time and I LOVE it! :)

I do my Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD and MFP says I burn 189 calories. HRM says I burned 242.

Then I did my 3.0 mile walk. Usually MFP says I burn about 280 and HRM says I burned 389.

So needless to say I'm a huge fan of the HRM! :)
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just ordered the Polar FT7F after glowing recommendations from both MFP and my gym :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    polar ...amazon.com appears to have the best price
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I love it! I only just learned this, though: they are not accurate when it comes to calories burned during strength exercises, so I'd go w/ what MPF says you burn for that stuff. But for cardio, they are very accurate! Mine's a Polar something, not sure which.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 on Amazon a few weeks ago, and I love it! The chest strap isn't uncomfortable (I thought it might be, but was pleasantly surprised). I like it because it really gives an accurate calorie burn (I think) and it helps me know that even when I feel like I need to quit or like am going to die, My heart rate is actually in an OK zone. Haha. It has definitely helped motivate me to push harder.

Check Amazon... they tend to have good deals on the Polar products!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4, which is designed for a woman. The watch is white, and petite in size, the chest strap is adjustable, and fits comfortably, I don't notice that I have it on.

I believe that it is accurate,and now that I have it (bought it about 2 weeks ago) I use it every time I work out. Its become a part of my routine! As another poster mentioned, MFP gave me lower calorie count and my HRM gives me more credit for calories expended. I will be doing a 5K next Sunday and I'm anxious to see the results.

I bought the N4 on sale at Target for $42, but I believe normal price was $59.

I honestly wondered when I bought it, if it would just be another piece of fitness related equipment that would get thrown in a drawer. But fortunately, it has really been a great tool.

Good luck!
  • tkopps
    tkopps Posts: 341
    Options
    I just got a new polar FT4. I had an older model which did not have the possibility to change the battery. I also like the new chest strap concept. I would really recommend getting one as it also provides great motivation. I love to see the totals and be amazed at how much I moved my butt! Good luck and hope you find a good one.
  • cottonball77
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I was leaning towards a Polar, but then saw some negative reviews on Amazon, so I figured I'd better check with the experts here on MFP :-)
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7F. LOVE IT! My exercise routine consists of Zumba, TRX and Pole Fitness and Tone....all non-traditional exercise classes. So I was always guesstimating their equivalents from MFP's and other forums databases. Turns out I was way underestimating the amount of calories burned.

Plus it is a great motivation. Because I do double workouts, hitting 1000+ calories is my goal. Some days I hit it, some days I don't...but at least I know for sure.

I always wear my HRM! It has become a staple in my exercise bag, along with my workout pants, sports bra, water!