weight lifting calories

Options
Hi!
How do you add calories for when you lift weights? MFP only gives me my work out calories if I do cardio. Today I did an hour of weights at a cardio pace but im not sure how to add that to MFP so I can get some work out calories added to my calories.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    under cardio
    search for 'Strength training"
    there IS an entry for that.

MFPs take on it, as in WHY they don't credit you for calories by logging it under the strength training field

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training?phrase=strength+training+calories&platform=web

Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • caitmac14
    Options
    Oh perfect! thank you :)
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM
  • caitmac14
    Options
    I have a HRM but for some reason I cant get it to show how many calories I have burned. I must have set it up wrong of something. I will re read the manual and try again. I have tried a few times ...
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If i forget to actually press 'start' on mine, it shows me how my heart rate is, but doesn't count any cals, done it once or twice by accident. :)
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I do my strength training on a Total Gym. I also use a subscription service to set up my training and then I log in the reps and weights that I completed on that website. Then they calculate my calories. I enter my strength training time on MFP in the manner that Pandorian indicated. MFP only asks for the length of the workout. I find that MFP's estimate and the paid subscription estimate are somewhat close. I also do elliptical cardio and I find that MFP's calorie calculation and the estimate on the elliptical machine are close. I tend to go with the cardio machine though as my thinking is that it calculates in the level of resistance I am setting and MFP does not.
  • srcantgiveup
    srcantgiveup Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also do a Total Gym workout. I use the circuit training entry in the cardio section.
    I do my gym as steady as possible and it really is circuit training for me.
    That is the best I could find on how to enter in my lifting activities.
    Thanks MFP member for posting the info about why MFP doesn't have weight lifting calories listed.
    I have wondered about that.