Needing quick dinner recipes

Options
kittyraccoon7
kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
Hi everyone...

so I work 7 days a week and I don't get home til around 6:30 and I have to feed myself, my boyfriend and my son before he goes to bed at 8pm... I'm looking for very quick recipes (30 mins or less) that are healthy... anyone? thanks in advance!!

Replies

• kittyraccoon7
    Options
    bump..
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest searching for crockpot recipes here on MFP. If you have 10 minutes in the morning to throw it in the crockpot, dinner is ready when you walk in the door. I love my crockpot.
  • kittyraccoon7
    Options
    you make an excellent point!! I have a very tiny crock pot, but could probably make something in there... thank you! :happy:
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If there are no shellfish issues, I like a shrimp stir - fry. You can even get the pre-cut veggies and use already cooked (just need warming) shrimp. My 2 1/2 year old powers through it, especially if teamed with some rice or noodles.
  • kittyraccoon7
    Options
    awesome, thanks so much!! :flowerforyou:

and I forgot to mention no seafood, unless it's shrimp or canned tuna... :blushing:
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use kraftcanada.com alot. They have very sinful recipes but also very good recipes. I as well look for the quick ones and there are a lot I am actually doing one right now. Enjoy
  • StargazerHuck
    StargazerHuck Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a FIx It and Forget It Light cookbook. It is full of light crock pot recipes! I use it ALL the time! Another great source is Sparkpeople.com Lots of great stuff on there!!!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Do you have a george forman grill? I take chicken breasts slice down the middle horizontally (makes 2 then), season with a little salt & pepper and put on the george until the juices run clear. You can put it on a whole wheat bun, maybe with a small slice of mozzarella cheese and a touch of mustard. Serve with a garden salad.

(you could shred the chicken and add barbeque sauce too)

Make a few extra to add to salads or bring to work for lunch
  • bartman4
    Options
    I've been using www.foodonthetable.com a lot. It shows me what's on sale at my local store (5 minutes from my house) and provides recipes with reviews. Lots of them take 30 minutes or less. I use their app on my phone for my shopping list. Makes everything relatively quick. www.allrecipes.com is also good for a variety of things to try.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I tend to bake chicken for the week on sunday. I then add little bit of shredded cheese and salsa with lettuce to the shredded chicken and eat that with maybe some black beans (canned) and it tastes very mexican! salsa is very good and low calorie/low carb! I then i chump on itty bitty diced celery and apples all night until bedtime. I like to cut up my celery and put it in a bowl with small chunks of apples....that way, i can have a crunchy surprise while i dig in the bowl without looking. i never know if bland or sweet will make it in my mouth. its fun that way.
    cheers!
  • kittyraccoon7
    Options
    thank you all for the great ideas!! My computer is moving so slow because I'm opening all the links!! :laugh:

Thank you all again, you're all the BEST! :happy:
  • iladave
    iladave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hungy Girl recipes are awesome and fast (and you can find them on mfp!)....search on-line hungrygirl.com. I'm obsessed with her cookbooks!

Since I get home late at night and have to feed my family too - I cook the night before and have my husband just reheat or final assemble before I get home. Or cook on the weekends! I made a big crock pot of the Hungry Girl chicken and sausage gumbo last Sunday and then dinner was all ready for Monday or Tuesday with some rice. Yum!

It's really all about planning ahead...
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have friends who when they have a chunk of free time cook several meals and freeze them in dinner size portions (or I sometimes cook twice as much dinner as we would normally eat and freeze). When you need a quick dinner, put in the fridge a day ahead of time to thaw - then reheat.
  • Tamarineyez
    Options
    Steamed brown rice or Quinoa or Wild and brown rice topped

Trader Joe's vegetable Medley with Beiging style sauce, and 1/2 cup of trader joe's pineapple tidbits with cubed chicken breast, or beef or shrimp stir fried with 1 tablespoon of EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil). I had it tonight. It takes 15 to 25 mins max.

I had 1 cup of the stir fry and 1/2 ( 2 1/4 cups) of the wild and brown rice.

http://images60.fotki.com/v662/photos/1/1142276/5494871/IMG06853201201291819-vi.jpg

You can also do fish. I love the white ruffy fillets. They have no fishy smells you can get them at trader joe's for chea. cooks in max 10 mins and you can add veggies and or rice or pasta ( whole wheat) 2oz.