HRM calculations for ELLIPTICAL

Options
Can you tell me what you burn on the elliptical according to your HRM compared to MFP?

So for 30 minutes for example...what would each give you? Thanks. I know everyone is different but I feel like the calculations are waaaay off so I want to "Test" it I guess.

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Don't use a HRM but the machines are Polar at my gym & they let u put your stats in so hopefully more accurate than MFP - I never go on for 30 mins as I would die of boredom but if I did it would be about 300 cals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    How much difference are they? I can't remember if I used the HRM or the elliptical or the MFP calculations in the beginning, and then I got the HRM...

I decided long ago to always use the HRM calories. They should be similar to the calculations here. They all use the same algorithms. Unless you have an HRM that calculates your VO2 max.

• Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually stay on for 30min and I burn in between 365-375 calories.. Depends is I slow up at all. Hope this helps!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    it always says about 100 calories every 10 minutes. More on here when i put it in. however it requires i put in age weight and all my stats.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    okay, i ask because i DON'T yet have a HRM, when I get it I plan to use the calories burned on the HRM.

Until then I am asking for a comparison of the two...

For 30 minutes....according to the HRM I burn "X" ....according to MFP I burn "X"
  • Onetwo_bre
    Onetwo_bre Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My gym has the Pre-core ellipticals, and the values that I get off those machines are VERY close to what my HRM reports (normally within 20-30 cals). Hope that helps a little. :]
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    I would also like to know this. For example, today it said I burned 660 calories in the hour (I checked my heart rate every 5 minutes on the machine and had entered in my stats), but MFP just says 513 burned. You'd think the elliptical would be right since you have your heart rate thrown in there? I'd like to know what peoples fit bits of bodybuggs say compared to MFP! Does it all just depend on your heart rate?
  • amandaew83
    amandaew83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For 30 minutes....according to the HRM I burn 376 ....according to MFP I burn 495.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My HRM ( I have a PolarFT40) is usually within 20 calories of what the elliptical machine at my gym says.

I enter my weight and age into the machine, if that helps.

For 45 minutes, the machine usually says I burn 450 and my HRM says I burn 430.

I'm 5'1 and 127lbs.

MFP says I burn 385.
  • McKristy
    Options
    For 30 minutes at level 15 the elliptical says I burned 300 calories, my HRM says 280(ish) and MFP says 448.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    35mins elliptical level 1 = 390 calories on the polar HRM
    35 mins MFP calculator here is about 450 calories (so about an apple different!)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    awesome!! you ladies are WONDERFUL! thanks sooo much!
  • ChelseaCamerman
    ChelseaCamerman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just take my results from the HRM on the machines. Like I will type in on the Elliptical my weight and age and it says like 640 when I do it for an hour but on here it says like 590.. So I switch it to whatever the actual machine said I burned.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My hrm usually puts me between 80 and 90 kcals per 10 min, so that would be something like 240 to 270 for half an hour.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For 30 minutes according to the elliptical I burn 350 calories. My HRM however says 200 calories for 30 minutes on elliptical. Big difference.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I usually do between 45 and 60 mins. I find a massive difference between MFP's estimates and my HRM - MFP is almost double what my HRM says.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this also as MFP says I burn around 360 calories but my (cheap home) elliptical says I only burn about 125 in 30 minutes. My elliptical doesn't allow me to enter my stats though so I have just been averaging the two numbers if I am going to eat back those calories. Probably not very accurate but I am steadily losing so I must be doing something right. If I stop losing then I will probably invest in a good HRM.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't currently have a HRM but I know with one hour of elliptical MFP says I burn 714 calories and usually I have the counter on the machine to between 805-810.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's pretty close between the 2 for me. Only off my 10 or 20 calories for the 30 minutes. The thing is MFP doesn't take in to account whether you had it on the lowest setting and were just paddling along or you had it cranked up and were really working hard.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Calculations are based on weight and age and how hard your heart is working so what I burn might not be the same as what the next person burns. Most days I average 10 cals per minute on the elliptical, but other days its less or more. But I'd recommend just spending the $70 and buying a HRM