diabetics

Are there any diabetics on here or someone to help I have started this yesterday and read through the topics and haven't really seen too much on this I was just wondering I talked to my doctor and she is all for anything that will help me lose...she said I need to watch out for low blood sugar as well as high so I am doing my bs readings more frequent had a low last night but I have always had swings between low and high all the time...

Replies

• I"m diabetic and I, too, just started this. I haven't even started an exercise program and my diet is bad. I'm hoping that keeping track will be easier and make me more aware of what I am doing with my body.

Everybody has swings between high and low blood sugars, and they aren't always caused by food or exercise or medication. Stress can be a factor, and something you did yesterday may not have an effect until tomorrow, or so my doctor tells me.

When are you testing? I've been taking mine morning and night, and right before meals. I have a strong wakeup response, so my morning glucose level is usually higher than it was when I went to bed. It seems strange, since obviously I'm not eating at night. I've also experimented a bit by testing right before a meal, then every hour afterwords until my glucose level starts to drop. I've learned that my blood sugar level peaks three hours after eating, rather than the standard two hours.

I'm joining a gym on Monday, and plan to test before and after exercising for a while, just to get an idea of how exercise is affecting me. I'll probably test every hour after exercising the first few times to get a better handle on the effect.

Be sure to keep glucose tablets with you at all times. I have a little case on my key ring that holds four tablets and that goes with me everywhere

I think most diabetics use sites that are geared to them, so they can record their test results, too. I like the food features of MFL, but would probably switch to a diabetic site if it had all the features this one does and also allowed my to record my testing results and the times for every activity. If anyone knows of a phone application that does all that, please let me know.

Any planners for MFL reading this?.
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    I was pre-diabetic and went on a low carb diet and now I am not pre- anymore. I test often.. I still maintain a low carb diet getting my carbs from healthy veggies.. After all it the carbs that spike that sugar.. I do fitness pal but I still keep my carbs low...
  • I check my sugar in the morning then 2 hrs after meals and right before bedtime last yr I was working 40-50 hrs a week between work and other things but I haven't been able to work siince March 2011...since I had a ton of tests for my heart and then had surgery replacing 3 dics in my neck...couldn't work or do much and now can't lift my arm above my shoulder...been to pt and still not much better...gained weight which I had lost 100++ that took me a few years and now it is back with friends...so I gotta get off my butt (slowly) and figure out what I can and can't do just need a kick in the butt and I'm hoping to lose them again...
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    I was type 2, 2000mg metformin a day.
    I am now off all meds lost 66 lbs, and off all meds but my antidepressant. YAY ME!

if you want any info about how I did it, IM me, I don't post it here because the know it alls would rather have me follow a diet that would have put me on an insulin pump by now.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Ask your doctor to refer you to a qualified dietitian. Most health insurance programs cover at least an initial visit. They should be able to develop a plan that is right for you.

Otherwise... many diabetics have had great success on a low 'glycemic index' type diet. You don't want to avoid carbs completely, but you will do better if most of your carbs are coming from veggies and high-fiber whole grains. Fruits are okay in moderation, but be aware that fructose will increase your blood sugar.

Monitor your blood sugar carefully, get as much exercise as you can even if it's a simple, slow walk (you might try walking in a swimming pool since you've got back problems), and count your calories even if you're doing lower carb.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Hi Bonnie...I checked a book out of the libary called "Sugar Nation"...the author was pre-diabetic, and his dad died a tragic death because he was diabetic. This is an awesome book that opened my eyes about diabetes through the actual experience of one who is caring for himself and cares about the education of it. I had a heart attack two years ago, and that is why I am on here. Diabetes is a pre-cursor to other terrible diseases. Low Carb and getting rid of processed sugars (cake, candies, pies, cakes, is a way of eating I have adopted. I am glad you are here.Good luck with you your new way of eating. Look forward to hearing more of journey.

13985887.png

Debbie
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    PWD II Diagnosed 02/23/2011, been on MFP for over 106 days.
    When I was first diagnosed I was the person who dug through every research article I could find and asked as many question as I could of every healthcare provider I got a hold of.
    Dawn syndrome is when you wake up with a higher glucose then when you went to bed, your body continues to burn fuel even while asleep and since you are not active the sugars are not been expended as they would be while awake. As long as you’re within range you are fine. Your ultimate goal will be too keep your numbers as close to a base as possible at all time.
    I took control immediately and figured out what caused me to spike and what was safe to eat {Glycemic Index}. If you are recently diagnosed the best advice I can provide is, do not panic.
    I am reducing meds by diet and exercise.
  • This was very interesting to know, that there are other people on here with the same problems that I share. I havent started exercising again but I plan on starting as soon as tomorrow. I do have workout buddies (Leslie Sansone) DVD tapes, on occassions I will go to the gym which I pay for every month. What a waste of money for me. Please add me as a friend we can all do this together.

Tia
  • RAStong
    RAStong Posts: 4 Member
    I am also diabetic - I got the diagnosis right at the end of May 2011) - and promptly did what I should have been doing all along, exercising and watching what I eat. Using this website worked wondefully for me because I was able to use it to track what I was eating, particularly on carb counting, and my exercise.

As a result, my weight is the best that it has been since high school (down 137 pounds from its high) and my glucose readings are all easily in the recommended ranges. When last tested in early December, my A1C was 5.5 and I am off the medication completely.

If you exercise and watch what you eat, you can make a tremendous difference.

P.S. The only thing that would make the website better would be a feature that let diabetics track their blood glucose readings (That's a hinit the moderators).

Good luck to you.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Are there any diabetics on here or someone to help I have started this yesterday and read through the topics and haven't really seen too much on this I was just wondering I talked to my doctor and she is all for anything that will help me lose...she said I need to watch out for low blood sugar as well as high so I am doing my bs readings more frequent had a low last night but I have always had swings between low and high all the time...

Your doctor should recommend you to a diabetic nutritionist. If your doctor is at a hospital, then they should have a diabetic education department. They can teach you how to eat, which is to follow the food pyramid, but eating low GI foods that are > 55. You can ask your doctor for a low GI food list or go online and print some.

(Moderator Comment: The remaining text was removed. Although I'm sure it was meant in good faith, medical advice should not be given. Best to leave it at recommending the OP getting a referral for nutritional advice. CC)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Hello I am a Type 2 Diabetic diagnosed in 2009, it was right after I had my AHA moment and had made the choice to get busy living over getting busy dying. I was 560 lbs. could barely walk from room to room and had A1c of 10.0.... I lost my sister to complications from her diabetes in 1993 so this was the final nail in my coffin to make that choice to change my future. I went to my Endo Doctor (old school doctor that doesn't joke around at ALL) and he said I will give you a choice, keep doing what your doing and you'll be dead within 5 years or Take control of your life and I guarantee you, if you take the weight off you will gain full control over this disease. He wrote me a script for Aquatic therapy ( I could barely support my own weight so this was the place I had to start) I began working with my PT girls in the water. I started testing before and after (2 hrs) each meal, so testing 6 times a day. He also set me up with a dietician and she worked my carb intake to reflect a healthy 2 to 3 lbs. a week weigthloss ( the first 4 weeks I drop huge numbers 11,8,4,5 but as we adjusted the carbs it leveled off.) My old life, I ate NOTHING but Junk Food, nothing healthy about eating yourself to 560 lbs. So my lifestyle changed to Chicken, FIsh, Lean Beef, Multi-Grains, Veggies, Fruits... I (and still to this day) allow 2 cheat meals a week (Wed night and Friday night) I was lucky enough at the beginning he did not put me on insulin and opted to do Glucotrol and Metformin.... I lost 100 lbs. in 5 1/2 months but during that time I had bouts with low blood sugar and dang near blacking out numerous times. But as I learned to eat and when to eat and finally when my A1c got down to around 7.0 he took me off Glucotrol and with in a few weeks my dizzy spell and extremely low blood sugar faded. I am 31 months into my journey and have lost 295 lbs. and have been PreDiabetic now for 14 months with A1c avg. of 5.4.... I am still on Metformin 2000 mg. daily and my Endo Dr. doesn't sound like that will change any time soon. I have learned to eat to control my low blood sugar , I can not go all night without eating (use to get up at around 3 a.m. and eat) but now I find that when I go to bed I have a 1/2 cup of Almonds (30-35) and I glass of 1% Chocolate Milk (it is my daily Chocolate treat) I am good til morning (every once in a great while a may have to get up and have a piece of string cheese or eat an orange or something) when I awake in the morning my Blood sugars are Always around 79-82.... I know losing the weight has been a big reason for my successful reversal of my diabetes but I really believe it has everything to do with my Exercise that has changed my entire being. I did the Aquatic therapy until I had lost 175 lbs. and was able to get fitted with braces for my knee's (grade 3 osteoarthritis, torn meniscus both knee's and a torn ACL in my left knee) and then able to do more exercise out of the water. Now I split time between both and feel that the exercise is what has help me the most with my diabetes, weightloss, overall, health, depression, social phobia....... Hope this helps and sorry it alittle long.... :-)
  • WOW!!! Thanks to all that replies and I was once 400 lbs so I know large...I'm not there yet nor do I wish to be again...I have checked out the dietician but no go with insurance I called to speak to a very nice lady who told me that they don't provide it but another plan did but since this plan has the dr's I need I guess I will be sticking with them..ie retina care for retinopothy, cardi and such so I will follow the diabetic diet I was using the last time I lost weight...I have been diabetic for almost 25 yrs..I am a type 2 but need insulin since the oral meds don't control it well just have to get off my duff and move now that I can I love the diary here it keeps you honest and it takes off the cal for exercise how cool is that you don't have to guess...Thanks again my friends and I hope I can be as great a role model as you have become to me...