can't eat veggies

cassieohlaa
cassieohlaa Posts: 51
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
this is such a major problem for me. i have been dieting for a while but i just can't seem to mouth down veggies. i do not enjoy them and i just cannot eat them without feeling disgusting. i have been taking a supplement to try to get all the nutrients that i should be. i've been introducing a lot of fruit into my diet and i'm eating it at almost every meal. in addition i have also introduced fiber one into my diet and am over in fiber and protein but people say that is fine... so basically does anyone have any recommendations on how i can further my goals even though i have this veggie issue?

Replies

• Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    There are a couple of cookbooks, one being "Deceptively Delicious" that use pureed veggies in them. You can't taste the veggies at all, but still get the nutrients. Check them out, the recipes are good, even my kids will eat them, and they have not idea that they are eating cauliflower! You may be able to acquire a taste for veggies by introducing them to yourself this way.

Good luck!
    Stephanie
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Not to be cruel, but you need what vege's give! Get over it and eat your vege's! There is no try about it, there is either do it or do not! you can do it, you are a grown woman. learn to eat properly and your whole life will benefit!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    You should try to experiment with hiding them (in other foods, not under your napkin :tongue: ).....Jerry Seinfelds wife has a book out for kids, and some of the recipes involve using veggies as ingredients in other foods. Also, drink V8 juice....just be careful of the sodium. There is a low sodium version, but then I always have to add a pinch of salt. Bottom line....you gotta eat your veggies, and supplements simply aren't as good as the real thing. Good luck!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    salsa makes everything taste better
  • Don't eat veggies by themself. Sneak them in your food that you don't event know it's there.
    ex: mix veg and meat together for mealball.
    put veggie in your fruit smoothie.
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    I have a hard time with veggies too! I really only like corn and black eyed peas and raw baby carrots. Most other cooked veggies just taste funny to me. I have to try and hide them in something with lots of flavor just to eat English peas.
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Going right off the map here.

It's 2009, supplements can get the job done. I happen to like veggies so not a problem for me. I hate mushrooms though, and even if the FDA told me I need 2-3 servings of mushrooms a day to be healthy I wouldn't be eating them. A sustainable lifestyle does not include eating things you simply cannot stand to.

Some people are purists and getting that natural balance is a must. Great if that works for you. Telling other people they have to do the same while they are gagging up their food just isn't cool no matter how much you think you have to eat your veggies. If she said she was replacing veggies with Doritos that's a whole different story...but she didn't.

If you can find a way to include them great and I would urge you to explore that possibility.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    There are a few things I simply cannot eat, like liver, and eggs. My father made a lifestile out of how to "hide" those in food that I won't know it's there (fried mushrooms stuffed with seasoned rice and liver, for example...) The hiding never worked, and I gagged....still don't eat them. I can't even stand the smell of them as they cook. But I live happily ever after without them.
    If you don't like veggies, you'll find what's in them somewhere else. Just make sure you "up" the healhty food, and don't settle for cookies. :happy:
    Oh, btw, did you know that tomatoes, cucumbers, sqash and green beans are actually fruit? There, you are good to go!!!:laugh:
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    My father made a lifestile out of how to "hide" those in food that I won't know it's there (fried mushrooms stuffed with seasoned rice and liver, for example...) The hiding never worked, and I gagged....still don't eat them.

Same for me with mushrooms. I was "forced" to eat them or stay at the table until bedtime, I spent a lot of time at the table. Then the hiding thing which never worked. SOme foods and some people just were never meant to get along.
  • acore632
    acore632 Posts: 1
    just try to eat them in different foods i dont ike them either but i make stew for myself and it has carrots and potatoes and onions and everything so try that
This discussion has been closed.