so sick of it all

Options
been up and down for months with the same weight. exercise, diet, etc. so convinced my body wants to stay heavy. don't know what to do.

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your sodium. I never watched anything but calories. Then I was like you, up and down the same 5 pounds for over a month. my favorite string cheese snack was killing my sodium!
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Take a look at your sodium. I never watched anything but calories. Then I was like you, up and down the same 5 pounds for over a month. my favorite string cheese snack was killing my sodium!

Yep that is where I am, the sodium!!!! Been in the same range for a month now. Its my sodium. I am trying to incorporate low sodium and no sodium foods into my diet.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary for us to see, others may be able to give you more personalized advice. :)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with your sodium intake, start chugging more water. It really helps to flush it out of your system. You may be in and out of the restroom for the first couple of days but your body will adjust.

Are you eating enough? I am working through a plateau myself and have started eating back my exercise cals. I know this is a topic that has been beat to death on this forum, but it seems to be working. Good luck!
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Could be. My mom cut sodium (mostly) out of her diet and lost 20 lbs. Not watching calories at all.
  • Ewema
    Ewema Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be sure to let us know if cutting sodium out works for you. Now I'm curious! I have high blood pressure, but I love my salt! :( Maybe I need to look at my sodium levels too - I didn't know one factor could have such a big affect on weight loss.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up! Besides checking the sodium, you could try doing different types of exercise. Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Be sure to let us know if cutting sodium out works for you. Now I'm curious! I have high blood pressure, but I love my salt! :( Maybe I need to look at my sodium levels too - I didn't know one factor could have such a big affect on weight loss.

it sure can!!
    i have high blood pressure too... once i started keeping my sodium under 1500 mg a day as well as drinking at least 10 cups of water, it automatically forced me to eat in a healthier wasy *L* and drop weight consistently.. PLUS my blood pressure now runs an average of 117/70... my Dr is loving it!

That being said, ignore my diary for the last 2 months, i have been coasting on maintenance and as a result of higher calories my sodium went up too :(
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Double your daily water intake. Every time I am stalled, drinking water like a madwoman gets me back in gear!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with changing things up in the exercise department. I will walk, run, do Zumba (my fav), use the exercise bike, the elliptical machine, and will swim. Do you do any weight training? That may help also. Keep on. I've been at plateaus before (and am currently at one), but I just keep doing what I'm doing, watch my diet a little better, make sure I'm switching things around regarding my exercise, and make sure I'm drinking enough water.
  • mlks2012
    Options
    Just keep tracking whatever you eat . Journal, not just food thoughts, but what might be really bugging you. You might see something that strikes you. Print out your food tracker and compare. You will find something!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    have fun with it and find other things to do that are not as tedious. It takes sometimes months to find what works and you have to work and rework. Don't give up! but if you need a break work on maintaining for a while. I have ten a month off here or there for personal reasons and I did fine. took some of the stress off for sure.
  • SarahDurston
    Options
    When I hit a plateau I try to change one thing for the following week to see if it makes a difference. It can be something as small as drinking more water or trying to stand up for longer periods of time whilst I am carrying out day-to-day activities. Sometimes this can kick start more weight loss and I can incorporate that into my daily routines. Most importantly, keep entering your food into the Calorie Counter, even when you are over your daily intake. Sometimes a pattern can emerge, by looking back at your food diary you can identify what types of foods have stagnated your weight loss.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I was platued for 3 months before I started losing. Now I am losing about 4 lbs. a week. Change up your exercise routine and your diet. Keep your metabolism guessing. You can do this if you stick with it. Make sure you combine strength training with cardio exercises.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sodium can definitely be a big deal. I'm trying hard to get of BP meds myself so I watch sodium like a hawk. While I drink a lot of water (1 gallon-ish per day), I also keep my sodium down, and while it's a hard adjustment, it's very doable. I average well under 1800 mg sodium per day while averaging 2200 calories per day. I did a blog about lower sodium eating back in October which can be accessed at this link if the OP or other respondents are interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/scschenk/view/creating-a-lower-sodium-you-164123
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Note that sodium alone isn't the culprit, you have to make sure you are still getting your water to PULL the sodium out of your system. What isn't metabolized and used, has to come out in urine, and water is the medium that it uses from transport.

The only other way, is to literally SWEAT it out... and that's a good way, but you still will need to keep your fluids up.

I don't have a lot of numbers to throw out, but many times, the worst plateaus are about your body getting 'comfortable' with your workouts. ie., you eat your 1300 calories every day, and you exercise at 6am for 30 minutes, four times a week....

Your body WANTS homeostasis, it CRAVES it. So, it will get used to your routine and you'll stop losing weight.

The only way to prevent this, is to SHAKE IT UP!!! Change your calories 100-200 up or down each day (maintaining your weekly average). Workout TWICE a day a couple days, and add another workout on an off day..

1) Go longer, harder with your workout...
    2) don't just WALK or lightly jog your 2 miles on the treadmill, do intervals (speed up to 8mph for 30 secs once every 3-4 minutes),
    3) find a little park or inside track and set up 6-8 little stations around the inside for a different type of calisthenic or weight lifting, etc. Then do a couple miles, running from one station to another, stop and do an exercise, run to the next station.. etc.
    4) make your own list of 4 exercises... two with dumbbells you can do 12-15 reps with normally, and two that are like burpees or jumping jacks... set your watch for 30 seconds repeat intervals and then do the four exercises with 30 second rest in between each two times thru... rest 5 minutes, repeat..

If you use any of these, I will pretty much guarantee you will trick your body into thinking Armageddon has come and that you will bust through your plateau.

Oh, and enjoy your BIG calories days if you decide to do HIGH-LOW (some people call this zig-zagging), but be responsible... there is still a big difference between twp Krispy Kreme donuts and hot chocolate (720 cal) , and a 12 oz sirloin steak (no butter), steamed broccoli & cauliflower, 1/2c maple cured baked beans, and 1/2c low-fat coleslaw (702 cal)... yeah, they are about the same calories, only that big dinner has more protein and fiber than the donuts... you can eat BIG and be responsible.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You have to be consistent in your efforts. No point being good all week then having a bad weekend. Its just counterproductive. I've been there for months myself, but I know that I'm not consistent. When I decide to give it 100% all the time, I lose. Its hard, but totally doable!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • leaso75581
    Options
    thanks for all the tips and advice, I love this site. You guys are so helpful. I will try work on it.