February 120 miles Walking/Running Challenge

Options
Hi everyone,

So last September I posted a 120 miles walking challenge, where I managed to walk just over the target at 122.5miles and loss just under 9lbs. I still love to walk long distances and try to do a few miles most days of the week as I judge it to be a great form of exercise that I can fit in anytime of the day, can endure long distances burning a lot of calories without the need of recovery and its free!

I’ve wanted for ages to do this challenge again but this time I would like to include miles undertaken by running or jogging as well as I’m getting serious about this, but this is optional. This would also be great for those who like to hike, as some of my MFP friends do.

All this challenge involves is just trying to achieve a walking and/or running mileage of at least 120 miles in February. This can be done in conjunction with any other forms of exercise you may undertake or just as your main. Ideally the aim should be to clock up 30miles per week which equates to approximately 10,000 steps 6 days/week, or mix it up whichever way you like.

If 120 miles seems too much to aim for, just do what you can. Sounds corny but its the taking part and pushing yourself that really counts.

Each week members of the group will post how far they’ve travelled and lbs lost..

Starting Weight: xxx lbs (Wednesday 1st February)
Week 1 – xx miles and xxx lbs (Wednesday 8th February)
Week 2 - xx miles and xxx lbs (Wednesday 15th February)
Week 3 - xx miles and xxx lbs (Wednesday 22nd February)
Week 4 - xx miles and xxx lbs (Wednesday 29th February)

Total Walked – xxx miles (Wednesday 29th February)
Total lost – xxx lbs (Wednesday 29th February)

Hope you will join me in this! :smile:

Replies

• satoshieyes
    Options
    Hmm if it was in march I could complete a sixth in one day, I'll try to do this
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hmm if it was in march I could complete a sixth in one day, I'll try to do this

Hey, that would be great if you were to take part.
  • satoshieyes
    Options
    Next Tuesday is going to be a 13.1 mile day.. Probably a cool down mile at the end as well
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The baby loves to be outside so maybe we will just take 2 walks a day (averages out to be little over 4 miles a day to get to 120 miles) That should be do able sense we typicaly walk about 1.5 miles a day....so just need to add an extra block on to our route.
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do this, I'll fill in the blanks as I get to them

Starting Weight: xxx lbs (Wednesday 1st February)

• MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Absolutely count me in! I need this challenge. Good thing it is a leap year:bigsmile:
  • SynicalEnvee
    Options
    This sounds interesting and I'd love to give it a try. It'll be great to see how many miles I'm walking/jogging!
  • kdenny1
    kdenny1 Posts: 134
    Options
    ive ben looking for a group like this. I will give my weight on Wed
  • irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • rebeccawalker1982
    Options
    JUST FYI FOR THOSE GOING TO TRY THIS....If you dont have something to track your miles, there is an app for your phone called sportypal....the regular version is free. It uses GPS to track where you walk, how far, how long, average min mile, average speed and estimated cals burned. I use this and it helps know what routes I can take depending on if I have the baby, the puppies....the husband...lol. ect.
  • Jinji
    Jinji Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is great! I'm in.
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    JUST FYI FOR THOSE GOING TO TRY THIS....If you dont have something to track your miles, there is an app for your phone called sportypal....the regular version is free. It uses GPS to track where you walk, how far, how long, average min mile, average speed and estimated cals burned. I use this and it helps know what routes I can take depending on if I have the baby, the puppies....the husband...lol. ect.

Nice tip. I use an app called routes that I save my favourite walks. Pedometers are great too but stride changes all the time as I slow down and speed up, so I don't rely on it.

Glad to see more people looking to take part. :wink:
  • honeybear25251
    Options
    This sounds fun! I'm in!
  • irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    this may be a dumb question, but do the apps used for tracking also track when you are on the treadmill? probably not since they use gps... hmmm.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Count me in
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    this may be a dumb question, but do the apps used for tracking also track when you are on the treadmill? probably not since they use gps... hmmm.

Hi there, if your in ireland I'm betting that you use km instead of miles which is the same for me. Just take note of your distance and convert it (1mile = 1.6km) which I have to do when I'm adding to my diary. I know there are some devices that you can use on the treadmill but I'm not too up on this.
  • kdenny1
    kdenny1 Posts: 134
    Options
    starting weight 138
    week 1
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am in! :)
  • twilight_princess
    Options
    Hi everyone, so my starting weight is 193lbs (I've put on 1lb since Sunday :( ) and I'm hoping to get down to 185lbs by the end of the month. I started today with a 4 mile walk and hope to get some bigger miles done at the weekend.

Starting Weight: 193 lbs (Wednesday 1st February)

• rebeccawalker1982
    Options
    Hoping I can drop atleast 5 more lbs....lost 5 lbs in Jan so 5 lbs in Feb would be good too. (Can running with the Wii Fit games count as miles because I know Im not always goign to be able to get in 4 miles a day with the baby)

Starting Weight: 211 lbs (Wednesday 1st February)