Vibram 5-fingers

Options
FaugHorn
FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
Anyone use these? Any advice on how to work them into my routine? The guy at the running store said to only do one or two days a week with them on because they use different muscles than running in "normal" shoes. I've always been prone to shin splints and fractures so I'm hoping these help me go for longer distances.

Replies

• mmannequinn
    mmannequinn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into buying a pair as well. I'm going this weekend to check them out! I'm curious to see what people say!!
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I use them...I would suggest slowly add them to your routine...it will take awhile for your feet and legs to get use to it.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a pair! I love them! I could use them all the time now!! Butt...... Dont! Dont! use them for more than 15 minutes or so a couple times a week (2 or 3x's) for probably 2-3 weeks. I over did it, I could hardly walk for 2 weeks! My tendonitis in my left foot flared up soo bad! I worked em in slowly after that cleared up and now I could use them all the time! Good luck!!
  • kwinterscheidt
    kwinterscheidt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would get the ones that go over the top of your feet for running. i have the ones that dont and they tend to slip off if im doing anything more than walking. I really like mine alot. i dont think there the best for rocky terrain but they work great for running on treadmill or on a paved path.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine got them and said he started out walking around the house in them every other day for the first week. The second week he walked around the house in them every day. The third week he ran in them one day but only half his normal distance (3 miles instead of 6-8). Now he runs in them every other day.
  • sallen67
    sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One of my friends swears by them, I haven't tried them myself.
    a couple things he mentioned were that it hurt like hell to run in them during the beginning, and it can still be uncomfortable, but that is his clue that his form is bad. Once he developed proper running form, the discomfort went away. Now when it hurts, he uses it as feedback and readjusts his form.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM! I have the treksport and love the grip with them! I didn't have issues wearing them right away (I didn't like shoes before as it was, so I think my feet were just use to it), so I climbed a mountain the second day having them! I was find, but my hubby decided to do it with me and he is still having to slowly get use to them! So unless you are a special situation definitely take your time getting use to them! You might want to wear them just going to the store for the first bit until you are use to them.
  • KayronM
    KayronM Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of KSO. I use them for my workouts (Insanity, Asylum, P90X etc). Just purchased TrekSport for outdoors (haven't wore it as yet)
  • hairsnob610
    Options
    I bought them a month ago and will never wear sneakers again. I have very flat feet, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I am able to run longer without my knee hurting, BUT my knee does hurt on a daily basis more when I'm not working out. That was never really an issue for me... it only hurt as I worked out. I was never told to use them gradually tho so this is good to know.
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    Awesome! My husband got a pair as well. I tend to avoid shoes whenever possible right now but will definitely take my time getting used to them. I'm doing the C25K program so I'm not doing any real long distances right now (only in the first week)
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I have them and LOVE them!! I wore them to Puerto Rico and ran on the beach, swam with them, ran on the road...they are great but do take some time getting used to. A pair will cost about $115.00 but you could probably find them for less online. HAPPY RUNNING!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I love mine and for the first time ever, I can say I will keep running from now on. I started running to continue losing weight, but I hadn't planned on continuing. Vibram's website has answers on "break in" in the FAQ. I eased into them as suggested on there and have had zero joint pain and none of the previous muscle pain that I got from regular running shoes since. My calves took the longest to adapt to them but it was worth it. I can go farther and faster than I did B4. Resounding endorsement from me.
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing these for about a year now and I love them. I have ran 10 miles in them on the street with no problems the only time I wear "normal" running shoes is for the military PT test. Outside of that I live in these shoes. I recommend you go to a store and try them on before buying them online.
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    I have been wearing these for about a year now and I love them. I have ran 10 miles in them on the street with no problems the only time I wear "normal" running shoes is for the military PT test. Outside of that I live in these shoes. I recommend you go to a store and try them on before buying them online.

Tried them on and loved the feel of them, then went online to order them and saved about $20 :) I got the Bikilas and can't wait!
  • runningneo122
    Options

Tried them on and loved the feel of them, then went online to order them and saved about $20 :) I got the Bikilas and can't wait!

Go to amazon and get the Injinji socks. About $8/pr. Well worth it. I always wear them for running, but I did my walking sans socks until the stitching at the right side of my left foot(where you get bunions) rubbed through my skin on a 5 mile walk.
  • cswearingen
    cswearingen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i LOVE mine. I broke them easy and just ran a quarter marathon in them. I beat my time from 2 years ago by 6 minutes and I had NOT been training at all. I ran on the treadmill in my Brooks running shoes last night, after one mile, my heals, knees and legs were hurting so bad that I had to stop. Ached all night. I will NEVER run in anything but my Vibrams. I also had foot surgery on both feet 6 years ago and my feet always hurt when I run, but not this time!
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love mine too.
    I wore them for a while, yes they took a bit to get used to, then went back to "normal" shoes, no idea why :( then got shin splints, so I am back to my vibrams now, stupid normal shoes.
    Although am doing more weights now, and not as much running, so do wear my old shoes when I don't have to run, but might go back to wearing vibrams full time again.
    Now I am used to them, its not really affecting me switching between the 2.
  • runnergirl629
    Options
    I've heard it's pretty easy to get injured, but if you're smart about it they're pretty awesome. This was helpful: http://www.sideofsneakers.com/2011/10/21/vibrams-running/

I just ordered the Bikilas so my feet will stay warmer in teh winter.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I just ran my first race ever last Sunday on my B'day at my local marathon. Awesome day!! Bikilas felt great. One woman at one of the water stations looked down as i went past and said, "I don't know how anyone can run in those things." I replied, "I won't run in anything else."
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump. I may need this thread down the road when I am looking for these :)