running vs jogging

Options
Hi,

So I am running my first 5K here in Portland on Feb 12th. Very exciting. I have about 20 pounds I would ideally like to lose still, but very strong. I hit the gym 6X week, so spinning, cardio kickboxing, lift class (weights) and boot camp (my gym is fantastic, with a great instructor) and then I have been in a running group every sat am for the past few months and getting my "runs" in.

I often wonder, if I should say I run or jog. Does it matter??? Tonight I ran/jogged for 45 minutes straight. I have a HRM, but nothing to calculate speed.

I am just curious if people would say, oh you are slow... you should be calling yourself a jogger, not a runner. But honestly, does it matter? What are your thoughts? Sure I would love to gain speed eventually, but I also do not want to burn myself out. I am also doing the Shamrock 8K run in March, so will continue to better myself. Just happy I can go a period of time without stopping!!!!

Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Most running people talk about with distance running is synonymous with jogging. It's semantics really unless it's actually being defined as a difference within an exercise program.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I call myself a runner - and I run pretty slowly (especially this week as I'm just getting back after an injury).
    You can find all kinds of discussion online about running v jogging (often they use "jogging" as a bit of a disparaging term) but I don't buy into any of it. I either walk or I run, though if other people call it jogging, that's fine by me - I just know it makes me feel good!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I run slowly....but I still call it running. I'm a fast walker, so if i'm not walking, I'm running (no matter how slowly).

Good luck in your upcoming 5K and 8K. I hate to train, but I LOVE the races. Love running with lots of people. I live in the middle of no where. I have to run alone or with my dog.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    As I was building up my mileage and my speed over the last two years since I started running, I was told 'running' is anything faster than a 10 minute per mile average. I tend to agree.
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Appreciate the comments... always curious on the subject.
  • stablesong
    Options
    My boyfriend and I went running/walking last weekend and he watched me log in into my diary. I was trying to find the right speed to log. From what I could tell, I was running pretty fast. Basically at my maximum speed. I started to log it and he says, "No you were jogging. I'm sorry but your legs are short." I may not have been covering much distance, but dammit my legs were moving quickly. And ALL of me is short, I'm 4'9!!