Your thoughts on Supplements

Options
Hi everyone, I know a few people that have tried different "stacks" from supplement stores. Some swear by them, others say they are a waste of money. Specifically, I want to know if you have tried any kind of pre-workout, fatburner, recovery type supplements. I am just trying to decide if it is something worth trying, I am not totally sold on the hype. My doctor suggested a multi-vitamin (which I take faithfully, along with glucosamine for my joints (I have a knee injury). She also suggested things like CLA and said a whey protein would be beneficial. What have you tried?

Replies

• rwsimbulan
    rwsimbulan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my essentials are fish oil, multivitamins and whey.

im also using EC stack which helps as a appetite suppressant and BCAAs
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In general, I tend to think that if you are eating a varied diet and don't have any diagnosed deficiencies, then supplements are most likely just creating rather expensive pee. Most multivitamins certainly aren't going to do you any harm (as long as you stick to the recommended doses) so there isn't any risk and if you find a benefit then it is definitley worth while.

I'm very sceptical about "fatburner" products, I haven't done any serious research but my suspicion is that the only person who truly benefits in the long term is the manufacturer and retailer who sells it to you.

As you might gather, I prefer to keep things simple - unless there is a specific and diagnosed need for a supplement, I don't see the point in giving my money away.
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only supplements I take are a vegan omega supplement (fish oil based makes me gag) and iron (I'm anemic). I used to take a multivitamin but I'm eating a pretty well-rounded diet so I feel pretty comfortable without it.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Personally i use these:
    Dymatize iso - 100 protein
    Modern BCAA
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad - multi and joint support
    NOW Omega 3-6-9
    Milk thistle - promotes healthy liver
    Potassium gluconate - help counteract sodium
    L Glutamine
    Kre-alkalyn creatine

And i am a firm believer in supplementation, but only after diet is in check as well as an active lifestyle.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I take multivitamin, B Complex, and Vitamin D (prevention of another disease per doctor).

I started taking Whey Protein a few weeks ago. It really helps to get my protein to levels that are realistic since I started weight training. I'm happy using it and will continue to do so. I have been trying for around 100g protein per day that I get from dairy, nuts, chicken, seafood, and, of course, the whey protein.

I also add flaxseed meal to meals once a day. Not sure if that is really considered a supplement though.