Sore. Do I still work out?

Options
Hey guys!

I need some advice - I am extremely sore (I burned 1,000+ cals yesterday) and it's hard to even move, but today isn't my designated rest day. Do I still work out?

I worked my legs, so my butt and legs reeeeeeeeeeeeeally hurt, haha.

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I would go easier on the really sore bits and work the other bits!
    My arms are aching after lifting to failure yesterday, so I will be taking it a bit easier on my arms and working my legs and core instead!
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep, just go easy on yourself. If anything feels uncomfortable then you can modify. Listen to your body
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just do cardio the next day (And / or strength train my upper body) after working out my lower body from the previous day. I'll do some light stretches then hit the treadmill, or go for a good hike. Always good to listen to your body though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Staying active will help your muscles recover more than sitting around, so exercise but take it easy.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!! I've always received mixed advice in regards to working out when sore. =D I'll still do a workout but I won't push it.

Thank you!!!!!
  • JenS0301
    JenS0301 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im still sore from Fridays work out. Sat is my free day so today Im hitting the work out extra hard! Get your sweat on!!
  • halleygruber
    Options
    Still do your workout, but make sure to do a good long warm up until your muscles feel better. Ease your way into the workout. Don't kill yourself, you can take it easy but only as you need to. Nice work, keep at it!
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    Im sorry to hear your so sore today. My solution would be to work your upper body and core muscles. Rest your lower body ( by that I don't mean sit on the couch) do very low impact like maybe a slow walk and lots of stretching and water. I try to alternate my workouts anyways to keep my body guessing and so it doesn't get used to the same routine. If the soreness last over 3 or 4 days, contact your doc to make sure you didn't do any damage. Aslo you can alternate ice and heat to help speed up the healing process. Good luck Hun!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just go easy and work harder on the bits that ain't sore!
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can work out, but make sure you do some nice long stretching and take it easy. Don't overexercise.
  • eatlift
    eatlift Posts: 113
    Options
    I say dont workout 'cause your muscles are still repairing themselves. Right now they're healing and will grow back stronger.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    yes. When I get sore, working out alleviates that pain. Just go a little easier till the soreness goes away.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!! Unless you are in pain, that is. If you have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), your best bet is to work out and loosen yourself up, you will have less pain when you are finished. If I'm sore enough, I take an ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and I still go do my workout. Often I'm far less sore after working out... but listen to your body! Start out slow...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes. Work other parts of your body that aren't sore, or just do cardio. You should be allowing those muscles you worked hard, rest for at least 24 hours.

When my legs are sore, I like to do the cross ramp (like an elliptical but no moving arms, and the legs are on a track instead of stand alone). Keep the resistance low so it's a cardio workout, instead of strength training.
  • paleochora
    paleochora Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A very gentle workout will make you feel less stiff. No weights or strength training today. Just a 45 minute walk or swim (easy pace) and then a light stretch.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What about doing some Yoga today ?
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Swap your rest day for today. Do keep moving but only light, like a walk. If you are feeling really sore the next day after a workout, the tenderness may remain for a few days. It will go away and you can get right back into it again. If you have slight tears/rips in your muscles, as thats one thing the soreness could be, doing more heavy exercise wont 'fix' it, it may add to the pain as the muscles would be inflamed as well and do need time to heal.

Oranges prior to exercise can help reduce muscle soreness. Also taking BCAA's. I'm in Australia, so not sure where you are, but they are 'Branch Chain Amino Acids' here and have made a huge difference for reducing muscles soreness the next day. If I do a big cal burn like 1000 cals on the bike or running etc, and can feel tender that evening, I know I will be more sore the next day. Taking the BCAA's has made a big difference in recovery. I take them within 30 mins of exercising.

Just read that Massage isn't apparently as affective as it's been thought also. Just read it in mens health magazine, so dont take that as a given of course! But apparently taking cold showers can stimulate your thyroid hormones and help with blood flow to the muscles. More oxygen filled blood going around the sore muscles, can help get rid of the lactic acid build up. The belief behind massage not helping, is apparently squeezing the muscles hinders the oxygen from getting to the muscle. Not ready to give up massage yet myself, still feels fantastic! Hope you go ok with the ideas you get. Just take it easy and only walk today and hopefully you wont be as sore tomorrow and can get back into. Best of luck! I hate these occassions. It feels like a battle when you want to exercise to get fit, you overcook it somehow and then your body stops while your head is still completely motivated to move for fitness. cheers
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Yep, you need to work through the pain, I find I feel better during my workout and then sore again after. STRETCH! and then STRETCH some more! Stretching before and especially after is very important!!! Hope you feel better soon!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used to think I needed to take it easier when i was sore. I realized that when I worked out sore. I was less sore and always feels better. Most important is to double my water.