don't feel like exercising :(

Options
this one's for the ladies....it's that "time of the month"...and i really don't feel like exercising, i'm crampy, irritable and achy, i want to give the exercising a break and just regroup, yet i feel guilty. what should i do?

Replies

• nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stretches/pilates. Nice hot bath relax and watch your diet. paint your toes but add a litlle yoga in there/pilates
  • Anabannana07
    Anabannana07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find it helpfull for the pain to excersise. It seems like it soothes it down. I am in that time of the month as well :/ maybe you could take it easy instead of doing your whole regular workout. Like walk instead of running. Good luck!
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I felt like this yesterday, I was tired and very sluggish and my muscles were sore from the previous day workout.

On my drive home from work I decided that if I don't exercise today....I might not exercise tomorrow, and be more prone to giving up. So I stuck on my trainers and did a work out...but a shorter, slightly less intense one and felt so much better for it!
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    this one's for the ladies....it's that "time of the month"...and i really don't feel like exercising, i'm crampy, irritable and achy, i want to give the exercising a break and just regroup, yet i feel guilty. what should i do?

Get your *kitten* together and (wo)man up! This attitude will not get you the physique you want, delaying the process will only result in failure.

Thank me later....
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I totally understand....but sometimes you gotta suck it up and work out whether you "feel" like it or not.

At the very least, go for a walk...you will feel SO much better for it. You can do this!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You know what, it makes you feel better when you exercise. I know, cos I just did it and I felt like you before I started!!

As #Nitachi said - Woman UP!! :laugh:
  • leaso75581
    Options
    thanks everyone for the comments, you guys are right, i'm going to "suck it up" and do it, regardless. i was on the fence and i told myself, based on the responses i get, it'll help me decide whether i should exercise or not. you guys definately made my mind up for me!! lol :laugh:
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    YAY you won't regret it!

I give myself a pep talk in the car home from work about this every night!!! It's all mind over matter.

You won't regret exercising!
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    You might laugh at this, but when I'm in a funk for whatever reason and just don't "feel" like working out, I mock myself in a very whiny voice in front of my kids, saying stuff like "I'm TIRED, I don't feeeel like exercising" or "My right thumb hurts, I don't feeeel like working out" or whatever ridiculous thing comes to mind. Then the kids and I crack up at how lame I am and I trudge into the basement to work out. Something about laughing out loud at my lame "reasons" gets me over the hump.

Yet another reason why humor is always a great strategy for most things in life!

P.s. monkey pants, I give myself pep talks too. Shhhh.....
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Do something. Anything. Dance, super-clean your bathroom, do jumping jacks, whatever. I can't typically do a full regular workout during TOM because my muscles feel weak and I get shaky, but if I just move and do something, it helps me feel better all around.
  • avonlady54555
    avonlady54555 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A couple of days won't kill you. If you are exercising too hard that will also hinder your weight loss. Muscle weighs more.
  • Persevere230
    Persevere230 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When its that time of the month for me depending on the symptoms I get ( sometimes its tolerable other times Im in total agony) I base my decisions on how i feel and dont push myself if Im not feeling it.

Its ok to rest and care for your self during the few days of hell. Once the hormones rebalance and PMS symptoms subside then jump back on the horse and go back to your routine. We have to allow ourselves recouperating days avoid guilt and not kill our selves for the sake of weight loss. Allow your self and your body to chill. Namaste.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    exercise! it HELPS me!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If it's more of a cramps thing, I may curl up in a ball on the couch with a blanket. Sometimes cramps win...

But this was my first week having my period and feeling gross since working out faithfully. I stuck with it. The first few days I felt gross and my stomach was a mess. I had cramps and for the first time took Midol. (I always swore this stuff never worked) Maybe it was in my head, but I felt better. I drank more water. If I couldn't do my circuit training I'd at least squeeze in a nice long walk. It felt good to get moving and even better to take a HOT freaking shower or bath when I was done. Throw on my sweatpants and plop on the couch. :)

Being a woman really stinks sometimes!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My feeling is... when on the fence, always err in the direction of doing it.

Afterwards, you will rarely regret that choice.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Here was a good quote that always seemed to motivate me : "You will regret not working out, but you will never regret working out." -unknown
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm old, my cramps are hideous but only last a few hours. I don't exercise during those few hours. If that means I skip a day, I am A-OK with that. Sounds like you decided to exercise (good for you--normally my philosophy is "you will never regret having exercised"), but if you skip due to not feeling well, the key is to hop right back on it as soon as you are better and not allow skipping to become the new normal. Hope you feel 100% soon!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just do it.the first 5-8 mins suck...but then your ripping it up like one other.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    do it anyways. It will lessen the cramps.
  • Moeincognito
    Options
    I hate when the feeling of not wanting to excercise happens, today i've done nothing, but tomorrow i'm giving myself a kick and going to work out twice as hard 8(