BEST food replacement for protein shakes

Options
I am nursing so I am not really supposed to have the protein shakes... What is another good thing to have after a workout?! Something that would give me similar protein/carbs etc is preferable. If you can tell me what each thing in the snack/meal is good for I would REALLY appreciate it. :-)

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    nothing?! everyone does protein shakes?!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of healthy protein out there, but if you're trying to keep protein intake high and losing weight at the same time the caloric content can be an issue. Calorie for calorie it's hard to beat animal products, like a piece of grilled chicken breast.

Cabo Lowfat 2% greek yogurt has 22 G of protein in 150 calories. You could add the fruit of your choice to get some more carbs if you like. Also, lowfat cottage cheese, but you have to watch the sodium content...

Before the invention of protein shakes, there was always milk. It's making a comeback as a post workout drink......
  • luvyourself
    Options
    I don't know if you can find this but they have it at my university --> It's called "The Simply Bar" and they have a lot of different flavors. I personally like the chocolate peanut butter flavor...16 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, and I believe 16 grams of carbs. I also like Yoplait 2X protein greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit (strawberries, blue berries). Egg whites are also good...cheese etc.

I'm not sure if that helps but that is what I usually eat to get my protein in :)
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am nursing so I am not really supposed to have the protein shakes... What is another good thing to have after a workout?! Something that would give me similar protein/carbs etc is preferable. If you can tell me what each thing in the snack/meal is good for I would REALLY appreciate it. :-)
    Greek yogurt with oats mixed in would be a goood source of both carbs and protein
    Also greek yogurt with a cut up banana and some light cereal such as kashi honey sunshine thrown in would be great.
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    is skim of 1% better. i currently do drink skim milk :-) but have heard supposedly 1% is better.. is that right?!
  • 170to117
    Options
    I like to make mine with tofu, oj and blueberries...it's delish!
  • 2fit4fat
    Options
    wow im retarded i forgot about greek yogurt! lol ill have to pick some up tomorrow! Thanks guys :-)
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    watch the sugar content on the flavored stuff though! It tastes better but isn't worth wastin sugar on. I buy the plain nonfat greek yogurt and add truvia to make it taste better and then mix in cucumber, blueberries or any berry really so that I get protein and carbs together.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk - They have found it's literally the perfect combo of carbs and protein for recovery after a workout.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk; a small meal/snack containing protein and carbs. Cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit is good; or cooking up a chicken breast with some veggies; or even a ham or turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread.
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Amplify Smoothie is 20 g protein and 120 calories AND tastes good! (Vanilla or chocolate) you can get it at GNC :)
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk - They have found it's literally the perfect combo of carbs and protein for recovery after a workout.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

You are the Goddess of the day (at least)!

My suggestion: scrambled egg whites (1/2 cup = 60 calories & 12 protein) and a piece of whole wheat 50 cal (or so) toast.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ham steaks and milk =) not quite as "liquidy" but a nice hit of protein
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I also suggest chocolate milk (that is if you are allowed to drink it while breastfeeding), but I mainly replied because I need to tell you you have the most adorable daughter (I think, and if I am wrong please don't be mad) EVER! :flowerforyou:
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    watch the sugar content on the flavored stuff though! It tastes better but isn't worth wastin sugar on. I buy the plain nonfat greek yogurt and add truvia to make it taste better and then mix in cucumber, blueberries or any berry really so that I get protein and carbs together.

I use crystal light lemonade mix. It tastes just like regular lemon yogurt. Other sugar free flavors work too.

My latest mad scientist concoction is plain lowfat greek yogurt, vanilla whey powder, and/or sugar free vanilla coffee syrup, a few frozen Strawberries and a little fiber one cereal for some crunch.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love my chocolate milk after my workouts! I use chocolate Ovaltine mixed into a glass of skim milk and it is yummy!