MFP Book Club

Options
Solat37_Neil
Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
Thought we could have a thread where we could discuss/recommend books with each other, I've recently switched jobs and now find myself on a train for 2 hours a day commuting, and need ideas for reading material!
Just finished a few autobiographies (Pete Postlethwaite & Chris Evans) and fancy a bit of fiction for a change, any ideas guys?

:drinker:

Replies

• nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Great idea - I read all the time! One of my favorites that I am planning to reread is Mitch Albom's book The Five People You Meet in Heaven.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm reading Crimes By Moonlight, a series of crime short stories. I usually like to read one or two a day.

I just finished reading Water for Elephants and I loved it!
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Should start a group...

I read lots of sci-fi / fantasy. Right now, reading Anne Rice, Blood and Gold. Previously was reading Piers Anthony's Xanth series, and Mercedes Lackey. Next. I will read some of the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton. I'll move on from there to some Historical Fiction by Margaret George

I'm pretty eclectic in my book reading :-)
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i love books! i'm reading the wonderful story of henry sugar by roald dahl (the guy that wrote charlie and the chocolate factory) its a book of super funny short stories. i love the book belinda by anne rice. my favorite author is john stienbeck, the pearl, cannery row, of mice and men (such a great story!) i also love ayn rand, the fountainhead changed me life.

would love to hear about other author's and books. :laugh:
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have so many books going it's just ridiculous. I've got several health and exercise ones but as far as non fiction and such..I'm reading the The Hunger Games, a few Ken Follett books and just picked up some Christopher Moore books.

Now on my Nook...I've got more stuff waiting....
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    The Book Thief by *mumblesomebodysomebodymumble* is amazing. It's set in WWII era Germany.

James Frey's books are pretty good, although not 100% autobiographical.

I like Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, and Lauren Kate's Fallen series.

And, of course, Harry Potter. =)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have about 140 books at this point with about 30 of them unread. I should get on that.

Some are physics books, psychology studies, some biographies and short stories of fiction and non. I could make a short list but I will refrain.

Present reads-
    The Art of War
    Think and Grow Rich
    5 stories by Kurt Vonnegut

Next will be-
    Infinite Jest
    IQ84

*I just ordered the Hunger Games series in Hardcover....I'm a hardcover kinda duder*
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Currently reading The Sacred Stone by Clive Custler-pretty good. Just finished Water for Elephants-was also pretty good.:smile:
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading a few but the one I'll recommend is Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg. It's everything you might imagine it would be in a book by him, about him, for him (some parts at least). It's hilarious and if you're a fan, you'll most likely love it too.

_49504013_simonpeggpa.jpg

I'll go ahead and list my recent book purchases, most of which I picked up at Goodwill for $1.00 each. They do have sweet deals on books. A few I got from Paperbackswap.com which is a killer site. (check it out)

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
    Pirates! by Celia Rees
    House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
    The Skull Mantra by Eliot Pattison
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    The Alchemist by Paula Coelho (It's so great and now I finally have a copy to keep)
    The Peaceable Kingdom by Francine Prose
    Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Shocking that I haven't read these yet.)

I also picked up the first 3 Eragon books yesterday, all hardcover in pristine condition for a cool $5.00 total.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Getting back into the Wheel of Time series on my fiance's Nook Tablet! n_n
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it's super good so far.

I also read the entire series of "The Black Dagger Brotherhood" by JR Ward. If you like vampires and some heated romance you'll love these books! I promise!

The whole Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonvich is super funny!!!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Murder mystery favorite author: P.D. James.

Any of Maeve Binchy's books

Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" or "Anansi Boys."
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it's super good so far.

I also read the entire series of "The Black Dagger Brotherhood" by JR Ward. If you like vampires and some heated romance you'll love these books! I promise!

The whole Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonvich is super funny!!!

I want to read this (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)..that's next on my list. Right now I'm reading Act of Valor and so far it's pretty good.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My son Andrew and I just started Diary of a Wimpy Kid #2, Rodrick Rules, and I have to say it's entertaining even for adults.