you need to eat

Options
Food is fuel. Just like a car needs gas, your body needs food. Lately I've been seeing people consuming very little for what they really need or people who are afraid of food in a way. Trust me, I've been there and done that. I've eaten very little and I almost lost my life.

You can eat and still lose weight...I'm on the road to really being healthy, not just trying to lose X amount of weight.

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Like! :happy:
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • Ruchgupt
    Options
    I agree! I worry because my relationship with food since losing has become unhealthy in the opposite way it was before. When I was heavier, I saw food as my friend so much that when my life was not going so well or felt lonely, I'd eat and eat and eat. Now, I see food as an enemy, so that if my life is not going so well, I lower my calorie count to exert some control.

I wish I could alter my ideas about health, to see food as fuel (too much gas and your tank overflows, car rendered useless, not enough and it won't run at all, and if you put anything other than gas--what was meant to be there--in the tank, it might run, but not like a car should) and exercise as something to help my body get strong and coordinated, not just burn calories. It's too much about caloric intake for me, and maybe that's where I go wrong.

How do people begin looking at food in a more healthy light?
  • brit7880
    brit7880 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    not just like BUT love this post!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Truth
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There is a really good book called "Rev it Up" that teaches food as fuel and also about metabolism.
  • latinahada
    Options
    SO TRUE!! I wish the people who are eating very little would realize that isn't healthy, it's all about balance...Intake vs. output. Sure, you may stay under your cals for the day but that doesn't mean it's a good thing OR that it's healthy.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    OP, I completely agree.

And Ruchgupt, for me, it helped to switch my frame of reference from a deficit model (eg, focus on restricting food to get skinny) to a model of adding health (eg, adding more veggies & protein, adding more enjoyable fitness), surrounding myself with people (MFP friends) and models (hello Staci! see below) who inspire & support. Then it just builds on itself. It feels good, not depriving, to soak up healthy foods in reasonable amounts and it feels good to exercise with workouts I genuinely enjoy & it feels good to get strong. I don't have to force myself to live this way. It feels awesome!

Check out Staci. I can't believe I haven't mentioned her today:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!:wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel. Just like a car needs gas, your body needs food. Lately I've been seeing people consuming very little for what they really need or people who are afraid of food in a way. Trust me, I've been there and done that. I've eaten very little and I almost lost my life.

You can eat and still lose weight...I'm on the road to really being healthy, not just trying to lose X amount of weight.

I agree with the basic premise of your post, but whose to say, you're not looking at someone who is recovering from an ED and slowly bumping up cals and still eating way more then they used to? Or someone running a short term PSMF or something like that?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I agree with the basic premise of your post, but whose to say, you're not looking at someone who is recovering from an ED and slowly bumping up cals and still eating way more then they used to? Or someone running a short term PSMF or something like that?

Wait, wut?

Are you actually suggesting the universe can count higher than 2? But this would mean that people would have to consider context before declaring things "good" or "bad".

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Agree with the 2 above me. Have to look at the source. Sometimes the low numbers are actually an improvement, doctors orders, or a PSMF.

But I do agree that people not under those circumstances need to eat! Or it can just make it harder than it needs to be :C