Polar FT7 HRM

Options
Please HELP! I bought my Polar FT7 HRM in August 2011. The last couple weeks when wearing using it my heart rate jumps from about 150 to 220 in seconds and stays in the 200's. It has always worked great but recently has went to crap. I run water over the chest strap after every use like the directions say to do. Is anyone else having any problems with their HRM?

Replies

• flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine for a few weeks and I love it. Could it be a battery issue? I know they are supposed to last a lot longer than that, but that's the only thing I can think of. Do you disconnect the transmitter from the chest strap after every use?
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a battery issue. I always disconnect the transmitter after every use when I rinse the chest strap. Do you use soap when you rinse your chest strap? It worked great until now.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    No I just rinse it after every use....no soap. And then hang it to dry. Not sure what else it might be. Maybe yours is just defective?? I have not heard any other issues here on the forum. Maybe someone else here can offer some advice. Have you tried contacting Polar for troubleshooting? Wish I could be more help.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    No issues with mine. I would suggest changing both batteries or try to return as defective
  • cptkerowyn
    cptkerowyn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try putting the strap in the washing machine. Hang to dry, don't put it in the dryer. I usually do that to mine every 1-2 weeks to keep the sensor free of oils from your skin.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It is either that or it says 00 and to check it....even after it was working just fine a few seconds prior!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in the washing machine (with all my other clothes but in a lingerie bag) and then hang dry at least once every couple of weeks (since I use it every day).

Try first changing the batteries as well and know you can't get those sensors wet enough.

If these tips don't help, contact Polar about exchanging it.
  • mistylee0104
    Options
    thank you everyone! Do you think I would need a battery change since I've only had it since August? I am going to try and wash it in the washer too. My HRM also says 00 and I need to check it. If the battery change and washer machine doesn't help I'll contact Polar about exchanging it.
  • sdenton05
    sdenton05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mine would work fine till i started exercising and then would read 00 or heart rate not found. I finally figured out that it was because i needed to tighten the chest strap. give it a try maybe it will work for you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the battery just yet... but if you've never washed it properly(IE soap and water... no fabric softener) then it's prob. got months of build up and gunk from your sweat.

Wash it and see what happens.. I'm sure it will work.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Please HELP! I bought my Polar FT7 HRM in August 2011. The last couple weeks when wearing using it my heart rate jumps from about 150 to 220 in seconds and stays in the 200's. It has always worked great but recently has went to crap. I run water over the chest strap after every use like the directions say to do. Is anyone else having any problems with their HRM?

I have the Polar FT4, I gather care of the chest-strap will be similar.

Ensure you rinse it well after every use. After every 5 or 6 training session, stick it in the washing machine, this ensures all sweat and salt is completely washed off.

Don'[t worry, it is safe to do that, it says to do so in the manual. Just don't forget to take the wearlink off of it though, not sure the wearlink would appreciate being spun around in the machine lol.

One other thought regarding your heartrate, forgive me for asking, but you aren't taking any slimming pills are you? The reason I ask is because many years ago I was taking slimming pills that I had bought over the counter in the Pharmacy, they sent my heartrate through the roof to 225 during an aerobics session once. The heartbeat was genuine and I immediately ceased taking them.
  • mistylee0104
    Options
    I'm definitely going to wash it in the washer when I get back home (we are on vacation this week) & I didn't bring it with me because it hasn't been working properly. I am not taking any pills at all and I know how my body feels at a heart rate of 150ish so when it jumps to the 200's out of no where it's crazy. Thank you everyone for your help!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    well, according to instructions, you should rinse the strap BEFORE, not after using, and wash the strap every other 5 uses.