How much coffee is too much?

Options
I love my coffee and generally drink up to 3-4 cups per day. How much is too much? I could probably cut down to 2-3 cups per day, but what is considered too much???

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
HappyHarro

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm pushing it after 16 ozs. Usually happy with 2 cups!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups, sometimes 2-3 a day, love my coffee too!
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much!
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A study one of our professors pointed out a few weeks ago:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21949167
    Based on my personal research, I am a complete monster in the morning without coffee so I fully support their conclusions!
    I'm all for the coffee!!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The usual advice is there is some evidence for health benefits up to 2, perhaps even 3 cups per day. Beyond that it is counterproductive.

Certainly if you feel you need it to feel OK, have gastritis, heartburn, caffeine headaches, or shakes you;re having way too much.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    use to never drink coffee
    now , i work 3rd shift
    have to have one to make it thru the nite, more than that i can't sleep
    now having to have 1 or more to get awake to make it to work!!!
    :tongue:
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you put cream and sugar in it then you are getting a lot of your calories in your coffee,, If you are trying to not have caffeine then any would be too much. The "experts" say you shouldnt have soda due to the calories and caffeine so I would think it would be the same when it comes to coffee. I dont drink coffee but I used to drink lots and lots of diet soda. Now I only drink water. Havent had a diet soda since Thanksgiving and before that 4th of July.
    I wouldnt count it towards your water intake since it has caffeine but if its black all you're getting IS caffeine so wont add to your calories.
    Maybe cutting back is the place to start and then see how it goes. you can always cut another cup out later on. Remember this is a work in progress.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much!

this
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 cups a day, minimum.

Switched cigarettes for coffee. Hey, my lungs don't mind.
  • discombobula
    discombobula Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    too much??????

black coffee..... lots of it.....

these days i try to make sure i drink twice as much plain water as i drink coffee.... so that has helped me reduced my intake of coffee from absolutely RIDICLOUS to moderate..... not much more than 24oz a day..... try to keep it under 20oz.... at work usually 24-30oz because of 12 hours shifts every day for 21 days which always is a little hard....
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you're shaking, stop drinking!
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    try going a day without and see how you feel. im taking a break and experiencing some pretty bad headaches so i think i need to cut back. maybe just a cup or two in the morning will be better.
  • happyharro
    Options
    I should've said that I usually drink my coffee with skim milk, no sugar - so as "low cal" as coffee can be without being completely black. I've tried black coffee - but can't drink it.

I'm an instant coffee drinker, so not excessive milk in the coffee - just the usual dash.
    Thanks for the comments.