I feel like giving up...

Options
So I've been doing this healthy eating for almost 2 weeks now. I've cut out all processed foods, sodas, junk food (cakes, brownies,candy).. I'm on the South Beach Diet, so I've pretty much cut out all the bad carbs as well and fruits for two weeks...
I'm on my second week and I feel like I'm having symptoms of an addict. I feel lethargic, angry, pissed off, and fed up.. Last 2 pretty much sum up angry..
What I'm wondering is what can I munch on that's sweet and wont add on the belly?

I hate to say it but I really miss my chocolates, chips, pizzas, burgers, you name it.. I'm horrible on discipline, with an all or nothing mentality I feel like I have to eat the whole thing or nothing at all..

Replies

• Valora
    Valora Posts: 10
    Options
    Greetings, I understand your struggles. But NEVER give up, you'll regret it, trust me! I gave up once when I weighed 187 lbs and when I sat my fat *kitten* on the scale I weighed 220!! I cried for days. You'll always feel this way: the junkie foods will always be calling your name from the snack section of the grocery store. It makes me emotional and irritated. If you need a friend, I will gladly add you and we can talk about it :)
    Valora
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    You need strategies. Research, read, learn and come up with something that works.

My strategies that work for me and I came to based on lots of reading and preparing:

- Drink LOTS of water. 1 glass before, during and after eating. It satiates you.
    - Find recipes you like and are healthy and make sure you always have the stuff to make them. I love chicken, and I pretty much figure I can eat as much chicken as I want, so I do.
    - Cook lots and freeze/store it. Snacking is tough and after years of reaching for chips I need to have stuff i can reach for that works for me (deviled eggs, pbutter and veggies etc...)
    - Plan out every meal every day of the week.
    - Don't kill yourself or get to the point of being fed up. Eat some junk. Get a pizza. Don't drive yourself crazy. I treat myself pretty much every Friday/Sat to whatever I've been craving. I had burgers and poutine for dinner Friday, two servings of thai and then a calzone last night. I'll live. Still losing weight, still in a good place...big deal. You may feel it's all or nothing, but it isn't. A lot of experts recommend eating up to 25% of your meals as junk food (whatever that means to you). There is a reason for that. I love food man, I did culinary arts in college and taught culinary arts and cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, I just don't think it's fair to yourself to feel like "I can't eat pizza ever again@!SRFD". I couldn't...

If the South Beach isn't working for you DON'T DO IT. A proper balanced diet will ALWAYS beat out a 'diet' in the long run, so no harm in dropping this one and looking for something that works better for you.

Add me as a friend if you want, I'm happy to help however I can with a food approach.
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    If I cut out all those things, I'd probably feel like giving up too. The key, at least for me, is moderation. I know, it's been said time and time again, but I really don't think I would have been half as successful as I have been so far if I just cut out everything that I love.

If you want chocolate, have some, just make sure it fits within your calorie allowance.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I tried all or nothing at the beginning of my weight loss journey. Actually, I've tried it quite a few times and well, let's face it.. if it would have been successful back then - I wouldn't have had to keep trying, right?

For some people, all or nothing simply doesn't work. If you're feeling resentful, angry or discouraged - it is time to re-evaluate. This is your life. A lifestyle change works far better than a "diet" that makes some type of food "off limits". I don't know about you, but for me anything 'off limits' becomes an obsession to me. I will think about it all day and dream about it at night. I will berate and criticize myself for even having a thought of eating it.

And in the end, I will likely binge eat and blow my "diet" apart.

How about trying a different route? How about learning to read labels, buy a food scale and measuring cups. Learn what a true serving size is. Log your calories here. Learn to eat in moderation. You'll be shocked at how easy it is to follow it. How easy it can be to change your life and how you look at food, because NOTHING is off limits. Want a cookie? Have a cookie - but, don't eat the entire package! Want some ice cream? Fine, have 1/2 a cup and not the entire pint or gallon. Yes, it takes some willpower at first and it will take some learning on your part -- but it works. And you won't ever feel angry or resentful because you can have a burger if you want it or some cookies or whatever.
  • Cheesyrhino
    Options
    Don't give up!

I think that you are simply being too strict. Don't cut out everything, just keep your overall calories for the day down. I've only been doing this for a week, but I've already lost weight. And guess what, I still let myself eat birthday cake! Just realize that if you have some chocolate, or a baked good you might want to work out a little more that day, or limit yourself in a different calorie area for the day. You don't have to feel guilty over every little thing- you probably feel sickly and irritable because you're body is not getting what it needs from your food. You can lose weight eating yummy things so long as you don't over eat!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, I'm sorry, but you don't see that you already answered your question? FRUIT! Is nature's candy, it's sweet, and is good for you, aside from the carbs that people seem to be afraid of, it is loaded with plenty of other natural goodies that will keep you from having that lethargic feeling
  • whitcappen
    whitcappen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something sweet I eat skinny cow ice creams....they are AMAZING and you don't even know that they are a dieting food. Another thing I would do is find low calorie and low sugar gram crackers then would freeze the zero calorie and sugar free cool whip and make my own ice cream sandwiches. And trust me I love my sweets so that is why I did not cut them out completely because I would not stick to a diet plan in the end. Eat what you like just do it the right way!
  • beeeels
    beeeels Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    if i feel like a chocholate or macdonalds i have it,i then go for a 30 min walk and burn the calories ive just had,its workong for me,dont give up just lose weight slowly
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you so much. I'm back on the wagon! :):flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • MamaGoos
    MamaGoos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Any trainer will tell you don't cut carbs, just eat better ones. Cutting carbs may work short term but won't help you maintain. Don't give up, I'm doing it I have been at this for a little over a month. Plan your meals, have a cheat day, don't deprive yourself, My kids have all that junk in the house hostess cakes and what not, and the only thing I snitched is a chocolate dipped granola bar, and I found that satisfied me more than a snickers bar. If you need motivation and support I'd be glad to help cause lord knows I do too. I have found some fantastic recipes on here for snacks that really do make you feel like you shouldn't be eating it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If I cut out all those things, I'd probably feel like giving up too. The key, at least for me, is moderation. I know, it's been said time and time again, but I really don't think I would have been half as successful as I have been so far if I just cut out everything that I love.

If you want chocolate, have some, just make sure it fits within your calorie allowance.

Yup, I agree with this. If you feel that South Beach is right for you, then you might just have to ride out the feeling crummy, I know that I have read other people's comments that they have a kind of withdrawal from all the stuff they are used to eating, so I'm guessing this feels pretty ****.
    I don't know what you are "allowed" to eat at this point - but I like to snack on crunchy stuff like carrots, celery, snow peas, cherry tomatos, fruit (can you have fruit?). Dipping into hommus or cottage cheese or ricotta is nice too.

Personally I would never go on a "diet' that cuts out so many things - because I know that if I go to extremes I will only fail (I've done this enough times before and don't want to do it again). For me, the key has been to log everything, enjoy most foods in moderation (ie. nothing is off limits, just try for controlled portions), aim for a small amount of weight loss each week - and it's worked!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You need strategies. Research, read, learn and come up with something that works.

My strategies that work for me and I came to based on lots of reading and preparing:

- Drink LOTS of water. 1 glass before, during and after eating. It satiates you.
    - Find recipes you like and are healthy and make sure you always have the stuff to make them. I love chicken, and I pretty much figure I can eat as much chicken as I want, so I do.
    - Cook lots and freeze/store it. Snacking is tough and after years of reaching for chips I need to have stuff i can reach for that works for me (deviled eggs, pbutter and veggies etc...)
    - Plan out every meal every day of the week.
    - Don't kill yourself or get to the point of being fed up. Eat some junk. Get a pizza. Don't drive yourself crazy. I treat myself pretty much every Friday/Sat to whatever I've been craving. I had burgers and poutine for dinner Friday, two servings of thai and then a calzone last night. I'll live. Still losing weight, still in a good place...big deal. You may feel it's all or nothing, but it isn't. A lot of experts recommend eating up to 25% of your meals as junk food (whatever that means to you). There is a reason for that. I love food man, I did culinary arts in college and taught culinary arts and cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, I just don't think it's fair to yourself to feel like "I can't eat pizza ever again@!SRFD". I couldn't...

If the South Beach isn't working for you DON'T DO IT. A proper balanced diet will ALWAYS beat out a 'diet' in the long run, so no harm in dropping this one and looking for something that works better for you.

Add me as a friend if you want, I'm happy to help however I can with a food approach.
    ^^^THIS!! GREAT ADVICE!!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I know for me when I tried the low carb diets I couldn't do them, heck I could smell pasta 10 miles away! I have since just found that I don't deprive myself of anything, I just pratice moderation. If I want something I can have it, I know I just need to hit the gym harder that day, or allow for it other wise in my daily caloires. :) Keep your chin up and know that you are doing a great job!!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    then give up, forget about motivation messages here. It won't work anyway. The way I see it, not all people can be fit and not all people can have the discipline. What I'm saying is if your feeling negative, lethargic, pissed, then you might end up doing something bad or even worst than chasing down the scale numbers. Move on, it could be better for you
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i am with you on that ... i thought about giving up also... but when i think if i can stay healthy with my wife and kid ... its worth it ... here to help any way i can ... many people on this will help you ..dont give up
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Give you some time. It's only been 2 weeks. Your body will adapt but you have to let it do so.
  • KWgirl69
    KWgirl69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I realize a lot of diets restrict fruits and some veggies. I say "if God made it, I can eat it"! That's my plan and I'm feeling great. Still fat, but feel so much better.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    31420-buzz_lightyear.jpg
    NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said above. Just to add that if you are too strict in the beginning it will be a thousand times harder. Take it slowly, make changes gradually, cut out everything in one go and you will feel like giving up. That's the mistake I have made so many times over the past few years. My advice is get used to being inside your calorie numbers by reducing the rubbish you eat slowly. I did it over a period of a few weeks and I still have a chocolate bar. I am just a bit more aware of the burger king fat buckets and how many calories are in things like pasta!

I still eat all the nice things that I like to eat, I just make sure I am under or around the calorie numbers I should be. If you want that extra cake then have it and do a walk or run to compensate. Don't deprive yourself of the things you like ... Work to earn them. You will enjoy them so much more knowing that you have exercised to get it. And don't think you are cheating the system because you are not. If you jog and burn 200 cals to get that doughnut, the next 24 hours your metabolism is still burning higher than if you did not do the run so you still gain.

Add me as a friend if you like.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You don't need to completely give all of that up, as long as you are willing to lose the weight in the long run. I'm still eating everything, but in moderation. Yes I've only lost 16lb since 1st November, but I binged over Christmas and New Year and it took a while to get rid of that weight. I don't want to make myself unhappy by depriving myself of anything.

If I want some chocolate I'll have a small snack sized bar, and cut out carbs? I'd rather stay the weight I am I'm afraid.

To make a lifestyle change, rather than a quick fix diet, you can't ban things from your body, especially things you love.