Should I say something?

Options
So some of MFP friends post extremely high calorie burns for exercises that I dont think are right for the amount of time they are doing said exercises. Should I say something?

Replies

• Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So some of MFP friends post extremely high calorie burns for exercises that I dont think are right for the amount of time they are doing said exercises. Should I say something?
    Do they say how they are working it out?
    I know that a lot of the machines etc that give a figure burnt are very general and don't take into account your personal details.
    I use my Mio Motiva watch to find out my calorie burns as I have logged my height, weight, age and sex into it and I have to take my heart rate several times while I am working out, so I am very confident of the figures from that.
    Maybe they are using something like that!
    I can't hurt to ask!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Calorie burns are different for everyone. Mine are always low (per my HRM).
    I'm just not a high calorie burner, but I see many friends, even some smaller doing similar workouts and posting much higher burns, per their HRM. They are just lucky I guess lol.

You don't know if the people you see posting are using a HRM, or the MFP calories given, or the ones off the machine.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    You could just ask them a curiosity question.

e.g. - How did you calculate those calories? When I did it I used xxx cals so maybe I'm underestimating mine? Did you use a HRM, as I'm thinking of getting one?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If they seem frustrated at not losing weight, I'd say something.

If it's working for them, why interfere?

EDITED TO ADD: Calorie counts do vary massively - I've been challenged about my LOW calorie burns (eg 280 in an hour of all out Zumba as per my Polar FT4) but I'm convinced they're correct for my weight and height. Dammit.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would leave it. People burn differently. Heavier people tend to burn more than smaller people. Fitter people burn less than unfit people, etc. Just let them get on with it.
  • countryviolet333
    countryviolet333 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It also could be that they are a bit bigger than you are, if you weigh more u burn a bit more calories. Well thats what ive found out with my self, im doing the same exercises i always have but not burning as many calories as i did when i was bigger...
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Only if they ask- or are concerned about not losing. They could quite possibly be using a reading from a machine that is not taking height, weight or muscle mass into account. If what they're doing is working for them, don't worry about it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

If you were my friend I would want you to tell me! I just recently learned that my treadmill is overestimating (can't enter my weight and it's probably set for an average 150 lbs male). I bought an HRM and it's crap. It overestimates by 400%!
    So, I think most people are just clueless. If they are serious about their weight loss and about educating themselves, they will thank you for letting them know.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You would have to be tactful - you don't want to upset your friends.
    I personally take the MFP calories burned as a guide only - I think some of them are ridiculous. if we lived by those numbers it's no wonder the weight won't budge!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I take some as a guide as well. For my elliptical though, it shows how much I burn.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    It also could be that they are a bit bigger than you are, if you weigh more u burn a bit more calories.

Not always, the smaller you get the hard you should be able to workout, and burn more. At least for me I burn more since I weigh less, because I can move faster.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    What would you even say? I don't think the way others are doing things should affect the way I do things. So if it's working for them, let them be.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

This always blew my mind too when I first joined. But it was explained to me that overweight and obese people will burn way more calories exercising then someone who is near their goal weight. That may explain some of the numbers you have been seeing. I would not say anything unless they specifically made a post asking for advice because they are not losing weight. Lol but I do know how frustrating it is seeing that someone burned like 500 more calorie then you walking on the treadmill!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I post high calorie burns, but I workout out for about 80-90 mins...when I am finished I look like I took a shower, I am all sweaty because I worked to my max ( I will use a HRM at times to make sure I am still burning what I think, but don't wear one every day)...it depends on what they are posting for, if they say they burned 600 calories for taking the dog on a 20 min walk, I would gently question it, but if it is someone like me who runs for miles and than takes a fitness class, I would say the person posting is probably accurate...

I burn roughly 10 calories for every minute I workout, especially if I am running...
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    my opinion: does it really matter if you say something? they are the ones that are cheating themselves! If they arent really working as hard as they say they are, then they are only hurting themselves!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    To everyone who said they wouldn't tell their MFP friends unless they ask, then what is the point of having MFP friends? Isn't it about support and honesty? If you're not honest with each other, you can't truly support someone. You don't support people by lying to them. Lying won't get you anywhere. I'm not saying ''be rude'' but just be honest.
  • slightlycrunchy
    slightlycrunchy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If they are having difficulty with their weight loss then I would ask them about their method of calculating calorie loss. Otherwise, if they're losing steadily or making other progress then I would assume their records are accurate. If I wasn't getting results, and someone saw something on my profile that they thought could be the cause then I would hope they would say something. That's one of the benefits to making our logs visible to our friends.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll do treadmill intervals (running, walking, running, walking), but log it as walking and just adjust the calorie burn. It's lazy, sure, and might confuse some people, but if all I have are five minutes to log food and exercise, I make it count. If you this isn't the case for your friend, send them a private message and ask flat out. Don't beat around the bush, but remind them that you're asking because you CARE, not because you're vindictive.