Chinese Takeaway - what can i order??!!!

Options
Hi Guys :)

I know the simple answer is probably - DON'T ORDER CHINESE IF YOUR ON A DIET!!!!! but my boyfriend has been planning this cosy night in with chinese, beer and the new season US Office boxset for tomorrow night. Now as its a Tuesday night i'll be able to get out of drinking beer but I really don't want to be the wet blanket girl whos obsessed with food!

Is there anything i can order which isn't ~TOO~ bad??

It also the weekly weigh in the day after - eeek!

thankyoou :) x

Replies

• happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    why don;t you just class it as a cheat day? ive heard loads of people saying on here that its a lifestyle change and not a diet and you shouldn;t deprive yourself of anything as that is where the slip ups come in..

I have done so well on this advice and never binge like i use to.. works for me anyways.

Hope you have a nice evening.x
  • KWgirl69
    KWgirl69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The more veggies the better..try to stay fresh and maybe avoid the rice. Like chicken.and veggies or beef and broccoli. That way its not breaded and deep fried. Eat the fortune cookie :)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The trick, I think, is to just order one dish. Preferably a chicken, tofu or seafood stir fry. No rice, no crackers, or any extras. Then take a few spoonfuls of what he orders. And try to persuade him not to over-order. The other thing is not to sit in the same room as the boxes - keeping them out of sight helps. And enjoy what you do allow yourself.
  • pumpkinmoccasins
    Options
    Beef with broccoli is always tasty, with or without the steamed rice that comes with it and not as bad as other options.
  • hannahjane91
    Options
    stir fry vegetables with oyster sauce.

be careful with what sauce you pick because some sauces, like satay, are loaded with calories
  • CGradeCyclist
    CGradeCyclist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some good advice so far - you don't need to miss out!!

If you want rice (I would - its not really Chinese takeaway without it, to me anyway) - go for steamed rice instead of fried rice.
    Also, go for a meat & vegetable stir-fry over anything battered or deep-fried.

If you can, avoid the entrees!! If not - just eat them in moderation...

Most importantly - enjoy it!! :)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    most chinese places have a lower fat menu.. try steamed veggies with chicken.. no sauce.. thats usually on the menu.

anything else will be packed with sodium and you will gain water weight for that weigh in.

good luck!
  • saarek
    saarek Posts: 14
    Options
    Try to avoid the deep fat fried items on the menu, but ultimately like someone else mentioned just see it as a cheat day. Don't go nuts but enjoy it!
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I lurve dumplings.. and they arent too bad at all!! I ordered chinese takeaway on friday night and compared to what I would usually order I was VERY happy with it. Sometimes its not about excluding but knowing when to stop.
  • kellybib
    Options
    Use mfp to reserch the different food options you enjoy so you can order with a plan and your not sitting staring at the menu saying should I shouldnt I.Then you will know the cals your going to use b4 hand and can aslo plan your other meals according also do a little extra exercise too if it possible. depriving yourself will surely cause you to fail but a little of what you like now and again will make you feel you can do it. Enjoy!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Chinese food = HIGH sodium!!!!!!
    Be sure to drink plenty of water.
  • Shelly_here
    Shelly_here Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :smile: thank you for all your advice!! I'll definitely keep it in mind and do a spot of research
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No deep fried
    No MSG
    Rice is high in calories, if you can, do not eat rice.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the soups! The soups are generally low calorie options. :) (But ditto on high in sodium! But this is a treat so enjoy!)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    there are a few ways to do this...
    1 - avoid anything fried, go for plain boiled rice, chicken or beef with lots of veggies.
    2 - dont be too good or too bad, try and balance it out. if you have fried rice or noodles, dont have prawn crackers. if you have spring rolls, go for plain rice etc
    3 - count it as a 'cheat meal' and have whatever you like and get back on track next day
    4 - do extra exercise or have lower cals the day before so you dont feel bad about whating whatever you like

i generally do 2 or 4 depends what i feel like on the day :)
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Start out with soup, egg drop, sweet and sour, wonton. A small container is 2 cups. Half of it, 1 cup, is about 100 cals. Eat with chop sticks if you can. Not only do you eat slower, but a lot of the sauce drips off, so you don't eat as much. Stick with a lean protein, beef, white meat chicken or shrimp and add lots of veggies. Beef, chicken or shrimp with broccoli is a good choice as is shrimp with lobster sauce if you ask them to add veggies. Knowing that you are eating it for dinner, make smart choices during the day, so you can stay close to your daily calories. Eat brown rice instead of white. They have about the same calories, 218 vs 242 per cup, but brown rice has a lot more fiber, 3.5 g vs .6 g.

Enjoy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options

I know the simple answer is probably - DON'T ORDER CHINESE IF YOUR ON A DIET!!!!! but my boyfriend has been planning this cosy night in with chinese, beer and the new season US Office boxset for tomorrow night. Now as its a Tuesday night i'll be able to get out of drinking beer but I really don't want to be the wet blanket girl whos obsessed with food!

Order whatever you want as long as you don't go over your calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FJHutch
    FJHutch Posts: 34
    Options
    I normally go for steam dumplings which I share with my husband and have 3. For main I have steamed plain rice and king prawns with ginger and spring onion which I normally can't finish.
    It is so much better than when we used to order far too much and I'd stuff myself and still feel guilty for leaving left overs!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    All good advice here.
    Chicken with mixed veggies, beef with broccoli, Mixed Vegetables, all with SAUCE ON SIDE. They don’t like to hear that, but most places will do it. That way I get to taste the yummy sauces but I control how much. I am not a carb hater, so I am all for the rice, just get steamed white rice.

Something else.....is the boyfriend coming to your house? Your plate size has always been suggested as one way to help with portion control. It happens to work for me. And since Chinese take out is something I usually overindulge on, I would say have small plates ready to go. Set up the food in the kitchen when it arrives. You can make a small plate in the kitchen then watch tv in the living room. This way you eat less and you have to get up and leave your comfy spot if you really want more.

have a great date night.
  • jared767
    Options

Mongolian shrimp has only 460 calories and 30 g protein
    Acup of rice sticks will only give you 190 cals and 15 g carbs
    Crab wontons has 170cals and 13 g carbs

My suggestion is to plan ahead by checking the facts behind the meal. Most restaurants post the nutrition information on their website. What I use is nutritionix calculator where I can build my own meal on any restaurant. The calculator gives me the corresponding stats on any meal I build. You can check it for yourself at www.nutritionix.com

Hope this helps!