My first session with my trainer and the plan shes devised..

Options
I just wanted some opinions... thoughts and comments really on my first session with my trainer. she was really great and is more of a coach (i will see her every 4 weeks for an hour to guage my progress and re-do the plans)

we went through loads of questions, she weighed me, took my measurements and then did a fitness test (how fast i could do 5k on the bike) as a starting point to check back against.

I told her i wanted to get my cardio through swimming/classes until id dropped some weight and then start to run, so she worked out a plan for to strength train in some slightly different ways.

Firstly about 30 mins worth of exercises using TRX suspension training (anyone got any experience of this?) and then ViPr training for some cardio and further weight using an 8kg tube.

So yeah, any thoughts welcome :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    What she did sounds like what PT's should be doing. The important question here though is did you like her and her style? If you didn't, then you need to switch PT's as trust is the most important thing with a PT.

I've never done TRX specifically but I've done something similar called Rip 60. It's def. different and forces you to use your body more.. and you can make it as hard or easy as you want just by the position of your body and the straps.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    yeh i did really like her, i felt a bit weird and awkward when she was saying come on and urging me to finish reps and stuff but i think i would with ANY trainer.

i enjoyed the stuff she put together and she asked me about my diet etc too which i thought was good, she seemed very keen on women who want to strength train.

thanks for your input :)
  • loserMC
    loserMC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TRX. I take a class 2 times a week. It is a great workout and I almost always work something new so I get a good soreness.

Hope you enjoy your time with your trainer!!
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Is this through your gym??

I'm struggling with my back at the moment so going to give swimming a go... OH HOW I WISH I COULD RUN!
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    Is this through your gym??

I'm struggling with my back at the moment so going to give swimming a go... OH HOW I WISH I COULD RUN!

yes mate, its part of the membership with Virgin Active. ive signed up for the race for life in July so i NEED to be training running wise my April at the latest really, need to shift some more fat first! x
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Ahh Virgin are great gyms but bladdy pricey! My gym is £15 a month ha ha.... Is it a 5k? Or 10k?? xx
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    5k.... bobbing myself if i'm honest.

the company i work for do charity sponsorship matching, so whatever i raise they will double it. :)
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I just bought a TRX for my house, did the first session this past Saturday and it kicked my butt. I'm still sore today! So, I can see it's going to be great for sure. There are like 300 different exercises you can do on that thing. I can't wait to get un-sore so I can do it again!
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    its mostly pull ups, bicep curls and push ups using it thats shes specified for me... im thinking it will be good, as im tall i have to move my feet further under which makes it harder right?

:)