Never thought I'd be posting in this section :(

Options

Replies

• damn, i know you're being honest, but that is NOT what I wanted to hear.... what about the cravings for bad stuff you used to eat? Do those get any less?

I mean, I liken this to quitting smoking. When I quit, I still thought about it every now and then for a year, and I know it makes me queasy to even think about it NOW.

Will I be like that eventually with french fries and chocolate donuts?...

I find I still crave... it is an addiction that you will live with forever.... but it can be done, just as long as you keep getting back on the horse each and everytime.... And remember YOU"VE LOST 32 Pounds! Thats a lot of weight!

Keep going!
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You mentioned liking your journey to being a smoker and having to deal with the addiction. I have discovered that I have an addictive personality. My drug of choice is food but as I get control on that I would always replace it with something else. While I have to be diligent about what goes into my mouth to accomplish what I have, I have also had to face myself and start to deal with the addictions. Someone mentioned journaling. I don't really do this on paper but I do talk through things with friends, a counselor, and a spiritual guide. I have had to own up to my addictive behavior and make a conscious choice to abstain from the behaviors. Sometimes I fall off the wagon...for example, for lunch today I ate nothing but snacks. They were all good for me snacks but I ate 800 calories of snacks in one sitting. That is addictive behavior! I acknowledged it and recognized it for what it was. I can't go back and do it but I know that next time I will think about it more.

Some parts of the journey get easier as you go and some get more difficult. I find it easier to say no to things now, but I still have to plan for the snackies...I get a sweet tooth after dinner so I have replaced my ice cream with an apple. The apple is sweet and the crunchiness of it helps to satisfy. I also have to know my trigger foods...these are the hardest to stay away from yet I know that if I give in these foods have serious potential to completely derail me. Pizza and chips are trigger foods for me. It is still extremely hard to say no to these but I know that I have to! The more I do it the more the desire to have it builds but on the plus side...usually when I do finally have it hoping that I can stay in control, it doesn't taste as good as I have built it up in my head. The negative feedback I get from it tasting just ok helps me to say no in the future.

I wish you the best on this journey and hope that you find the strength to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference..

BTW, feel free to friend me if you like. :)
  • ShapingAgnes
    ShapingAgnes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It hasnt gotten eaiser for me, I have just learned how to handle myself better. I love potato chips! LOVE them. And I love to dip them in ranch. I use to sit down and eat a whole bag as a snack right before I went to bed. I still have to have my chips, but instead of buying them ahead of time I buy them when I crave them. And instead of buying the BIG bag I buy the single serving bag. And I buy the light or fat free ranch now. Its almost like I trick myself. I know if I dont buy It I cant eat it. And I know If I want It bad enough I should Allow myself to have it. It works for me. I also am a 24/7 snacker!!! I east constantly at work, but eat foods that are less in calories like, Pudding, Pretzle w/ rand dip, carrots, mushrooms, black olives, POPCORN, Pickles and a lot more. You need to find a away to make food work for you. GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!:drinker:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    For me that is the whole reason I am not a believer in eating that crap in moderation.... That crap is what caused me to get to 560 lbs. and all but cost me my life Literally!! So when I had that AHA moment all the crap went out of the house and replaced with healthy alternatives and I never looked back. I still do two cheat meals a week (which keeps me honest and give me something to look forward too) but now I don't crave that stuff anymore.... Would sooner grab some Almonds or fresh fruit. 31 months on the journey and ready to break the 3rd century lost mark (this week or next) and everyday is a
    Challenge, its never any easier you just got to decide if you are worth the struggles and if you are than just do it!!!! good luck........
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First of all...CONGRATULATIONS! You have done an AMAZING JOB with your weight loss! There...just making sure you don't forget that you *have* been successful. If you never lose another pound, you have already improved your health, and lowered your risk of certain chronic diseases by losing as much as you have. Great job!

Second...if you aren't keeping a diary or blog...keep one. I know when I had a lot to lose, it helped me immensely to be able to look back on my progress. Obviously you know how much you've lost, but its so easy to forget how much you've overcome and achieved when you're slogging through the day-to-day and it seems so *interminable*. I have found my old diaries and blogs to be very, very motivating when I've felt like giving up.

Third...losing slowly certainly sucks. But what is the alternative? Losing nothing, or gaining? Yeah. This is *alot* better.

Fourth...this is a journey. And part of what you are doing is not simply losing weight...its learning what you need to do to keep it off. In the beginning, small changes give us large results. Then the hard work sets in. Are you eating in a way that you can sustain, forever? Or are you "white knuckling" your way through it? "White knuckled" discipline will work in the short run...but you can't do this forever. Are there certain foods or settings that trigger overeating? I, for example, like cheesecake...but I will never overeat a cheesecake. Or ice cream, or candy. But a donut? Or coffee cake? I really just don't eat these things. I just don't. Because I cannot enjoy one donut. So I don't let anyone talk me into the idea that I can "live a little" with donuts. What are your "overeating" triggers? Are you eating food that isn't just low calorie, but that will nourish you? Sometimes our cravings are personal (ie, donuts for me), but sometimes cravings are the body's way of saying "give me something I need." I took a look at your food diary...and I'm not judging...if it works for you great...but it may also be possible that a daily reliance on fast food + low cal/low fat convenience foods means that your body isn't "being crazy" in giving you cravings...it may be that its actually hungry for something it needs. Start small: try switching out *one* thing on your menu that has little nutritional value and substitute just *one* thing that has a better nutritional profile. It doesn't have to be "diet food"...it can be nutritionally dense. Instead of a fast food breakfast...try eggs and [insert favorite meat...I like bacon. Chose something lower in fat if that's a concern for you] and fruit. Its still heavy. Its still "tasty". Surprisingly modest in calories. But it has a few more nutrients and less of things you don't need...like breading and the "deep fry" process.

Good luck!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. My husband made me realize that we only "really" started this journey back in July so that's really not so bad. Lots of good suggestions though, and new friends too! I could not love MFP more. ::):flowerforyou:
  • Kona54
    Kona54 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    usually most start cheating around 4 to 6 weeks..you need to find ways to keep you motivated..like buying smaller sizes of clothes to keep trying on..set mini goals by this date I should weight..make a small poster..glitter/bling it up..and look at it everyday..

Find a buddy to keep you motivated..

GOOD LUCK U can DO IT!!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since July and I've lost (total) 20 lb. That's 1 lb every 10 days on average.
    It seems to me that your weight loss is about right. At least this way you know it will stay off if you continue to eat right.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi you know for lots of us its simply in the head,emotional comfort eating thats why ive spent 22 years losing chuncks of 12-60lbs and regaining them many times.
    If you can look at why you want to snack,then it can help you not snack real soul searching. Write a diary not just tracking food how you feel everytime you want to go off plan and when you want to write down exactly why you 'need' the snack etc?
    This is a hard journey for most off us if your like me an emotion eater then its harder,dont beat yourself up youve done great and kept it off and we all know thats the hard part xx
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    damn, i know you're being honest, but that is NOT what I wanted to hear.... what about the cravings for bad stuff you used to eat? Do those get any less?

I mean, I liken this to quitting smoking. When I quit, I still thought about it every now and then for a year, and I know it makes me queasy to even think about it NOW.

I have had a quite varied diet over the years. I went from fairly normal sorts of family type meals, to super-eco-conscious vegetarian, trying to avoid as much packaging as possible, to high protein with reasonably low carbs to tone and strengthen and trim..... even after YEARS of eating well, even extremely well, as soon as I became injured and unable to excercise I craved junk, especially just carbs and sugars.

So, I think the cravings can always come back.

But on the bright side, when i was fit I really craved super healthy fresh stuff. Salads and steaks, whole grains - all these things truly became the things I craved, which amazed me. Milky, fatty things were gross, and my sugar craving stabilised.

I've learned that even when I was fit and healthy I was still controlled by what I craved, which is probably why as soon as I couldn't really move I began eating differently.

I did find that increased excercise = 'good' cravings, so hopefully that is bright news. Friends who excercise a lot have independently said the same thing, too.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight that you have lost. Beating yourself up isn't going to make things get any better or easier. Yes this is a journey, but a journey that you can enjoy.

First of all about your concern for craving bad food when all is said and done. If you learn to Eat Clean those cravings start to go away. You need to cut out the fast food and processed food. All they do is send messages to your brain to want more.

Secondly, as for your evening snack, that's not a bad thing, it just depends on what it is. Always choose a clean snack.

Thirdly, do not let carbs scare you. They are an important part of your diet. Make that complex carbs and carbs from fruit. Complex carbs are your 100 % whole wheats, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes. Stay away from the white stuff. Carbs give your body fuel so you can keep going.

Basic rule: When you combine the right carbs, protein and fat in each meal you will be able to maintain your blood sugar levels and avoid over eating and those yucky afternoon slumps. It's a good idea to eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. 3 squares don't cut it. I eat 5 meals a day and each one has carbs, protein and fat. This is what works for me and many others.

Next, you need to write down your GOALS in order to make it more likely for you to succeed. I have a great article in my blog about setting goals. You need to set short, mid, and long term goals. Writing them down is crucial as well as telling people what you plan to do.

Don't forget the exercise. Without that, it's pointless. Your health is based on 80% nutrition, 10% genetics, and 10% exercise. Cardio is great, but you also need resistance. Strength training is crucial in burning fat. MUSCLE BURNS FAT. Also with weight lifting, you continue to burn calories even after you are done.

There are a lot more things I could share with you, but I think this would be a good start. Friend me if you'd like.

Hang in there and I know you can do it.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your weight loss - I once lost 36lb over a similar time period and I know it is hard work, every single day!

The other posters have already made some good suggestions, so I will try not to duplicate, but just had a few additional thoughts:

- try to cut out your post dinner snacks completely (even if you have calories left) and schedule a cheat day once a week - the weight loss during the week will be quicker and some claim that a cheat day a week can boost your metabolism and make sure you dont plateau. Now I am not saying your cheat day should be an all day binge fest, but there should be one day a week where you can have some ice cream, have a muffin from starbucks for breakfast, order (small) popcorn at the cinema. However, limit it to once a week. I have found that my sugar cravings have almost disppeared and that sometimes I wont even crave something on my cheat day (only having one cheat day means I think about my treat quite carefully so sometimes I cant find that one thing I would want!)

- try to make your meals more 'haptically' appealing - this sounds all quite weird, but apparently it is easier for the body to feel satisfied and not crave anything if your meals consists of lots of different textures, flavours and colours (the different colours also ensure a good supply of different vitamins) - so yeah, have a mixed salad with lots of different veggies, some hummus in the middle, some seeds scattered on top, some jalapenos for a kick and some crispy flatbread for the hummus and you should feel a lot more satisfied then if you ate the same calories but as a pureed soup!

- lastly, and how this work will completely depend on your circumstances, but try and treat yourself when you reach some milestones - put away some money every time you los 1lb or 5lbs and use this towards something you wouldnt otherwise buy when you reach your goal. Equally, recognise each 1lb lost as a big achievement - I still remember punching the air every time I completed one additional km during my first half marathon, because although this happened every 6mins for ca. 2 hs, each km was hard work and you should treat each 1lb loss the same! So whatever it is, whether it is an extra 30mins. of 'me time' in your favourite coffee shop reading your celeb gossip magazine while drinking tea, whatever it is, but it should be done consciously thinking about it as a treat - I did that yesterday, 1h in my favourite coffeeshop with a white americano and a fitness magazine - cheap and yet effective.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    damn, i know you're being honest, but that is NOT what I wanted to hear.... what about the cravings for bad stuff you used to eat? Do those get any less?

"Will I be like that eventually with french fries and chocolate donuts?..."

Not sure. But what I do know is that when I am happy with myself I simply don't want these things. When I am sad, overwhelmed, stressed, anxious, tired and feel defeated all I want is these things.

I know how you feel....I have been stuck since August....I figure if I would have lost 5 pounds a month in 2011 I would have reached my goal of losing 60 pounds. But I haven't. What I have been able to do is lose almost 30 pounds and keep it OFF...I could have given up, gained it back and then weighed more than what I started off with...

It's NOT easy. Some days are good. Some days are Bad. Some days just plain suck.

The important is that you continue to come back to yourself...

Why do you want to lose weight?

What can you do to achieve your goal and actually like what you are doing to get there? (Exercises you love, eating what you like (just modified a little!), ect...

Surrond yourself with MFP friends that are encouraging, motivating and challenging.

I couldn't have done it without them...

Hang in there...Take it one meal at a time if you have to...

P.S. Have you heard of Geneen Roth? Her books are Life changing...

E xo
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bump indeed :)
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion about trying a cheat day or meal. I just upped my calories per day and added a cheat meal each week. It helps satisfy my cravings. I'm only losing about .5 lbs. a week but at least I'm losing.

If you're still craving, try some sugar free candy or sugar free jello pudding. Works for me.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If you amp up your exercise you will see results. Also the scale is a liar. I weigh 175 lbs at 5"3 and I'm in a size 10. go by how your clothes fit you. Its a mind set as well. you have to change the way you think about food. that is what i had to do. No longer eating just to eat. I try to see it as fuel for my workouts. I still don't eat like im supposed to all the time. But ive found if i work out, I still lose weight.

Try Turbo Fire for an excellent work out. Calorie/Fat burn. But be warned. It is really hard. If you hang in there i guarantee you will see results in as little as 2 weeks. I am almost 50 years old and I know, if you exercise hard core you will see results. :smile:

Hang in there girlie... It will happen for you.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the current weight loss!

I looked at your food diary and realized the sodium was high/over almost every day. This is something I have majorly struggled with on this journey and by no means have a complete answer for. In my case when my sodium intake is high for several days in a row I will gain or not lose weight at all. Usually, when I get that part of my diet under control, everything else follows.

When grocery shopping I tend to look at the sodium before the calories.

Just a thought.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating sugar - after a couple days i stopped craving it and now it is nothing to me. no desire for cookies cake or ice cream and its been 3 months
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating sugar - after a couple days i stopped craving it and now it is nothing to me. no desire for cookies cake or ice cream and its been 3 months

I'm doing a no sugar challenge for the month of January through Skinny Ms. Challenge. Was wondering if you use any type of natural sugar like Stevia, honey, agave. The only source of sugar allowed on the challenge is fruit. i couldn't believe how much food has sugar in it. Before the challenge, I stayed away from sweets for the most part, but when I started the challenge I couldn't believe all the foods I couldn't have. I will say that I feel so good and only upped my % of clean eating.