Zumba for Kinect vs Zumba DVDs vs Zumba Classes

Options
I'm expecting the Kinect Zumba in the mail this week. I'm also thinking of ordering the DVD set. I've never tried zumba (not even the classes), but how do they compare with each other?

How would you rate the 3 types of zumba...if you've tried them all?

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melissaklove
    melissaklove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried all three forms of Zumba. Well, technically not for Kinect but the Wii. I enjoy Zumba in all three but found that I work a lot harder when I am actually in a class. It feels more like a party with the class atmosphere. However, if you are just beginning I would say the videos and the game should be a great start as each has the options to learn the moves and begin at a lower level. With the actual classes you may feel a little intimidated in the beginning because those who go regularly will know the moves well. Once you get the hang of it and feel comfortable then I would suggest a class, they are so much fun. I am no longer a member at a gym and therefore I am left with the game and the videos. I do have the newer Zumba for Kinect preordered and am looking forward to trying it.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've only done Zumba classes and the Kinect game. Personally I prefer the classes over the 1st Kinect game (I don't know about the new one yet since it hasn't been released). I felt that the first Zumba Kinect game was too advanced (even on the easiest level) and didn't break down the movements enough for me. It's like the tutorial taught me a little and sped up immediately, never giving me the chance to actually get the hang of the motion. The class however was much easier, because even if some of the other people in the class already know the motions by heart, there's always going to be someone else there that isn't as flawless and kinda looks like a flailing monkey. My friend and I go and just have fun with it.

But whether you're doing the Kinect, Wii, DVDs or actual classes, Zumba still remains a good way to burn a lot of calories in fun way.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I've only done Zumba classes and the Kinect game. Personally I prefer the classes over the 1st Kinect game (I don't know about the new one yet since it hasn't been released). I felt that the first Zumba Kinect game was too advanced (even on the easiest level) and didn't break down the movements enough for me. It's like the tutorial taught me a little and sped up immediately, never giving me the chance to actually get the hang of the motion. The class however was much easier, because even if some of the other people in the class already know the motions by heart, there's always going to be someone else there that isn't as flawless and kinda looks like a flailing monkey. My friend and I go and just have fun with it.

But whether you're doing the Kinect, Wii, DVDs or actual classes, Zumba still remains a good way to burn a lot of calories in fun way.

Thanks to the both of you for your opinions. I'm going to buy the 2nd zumba game for the kinect as well (probably off ebay, but maybe amazon) and then I'll probably resell the one i'm expecting in the mail. I just didn't feel like waiting 2 more weeks for the next zumba.

I don't really have friends in the area to go do zumba with. "making friends" in your mids 20s isn't easy, and I'm a pretty shy person overall. I moved here a couple of years ago, and I still really don't know anyone here. Except for my In-laws. I also am an only child, so no siblings to hang out and zumba with. I doubt my sister in law would go with me either, she's 20 and is very much into partying.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Games and perhaps the DVDs, at least until i get more confident. Maybe ill invite my mother in law to come over and do them. She seemed excited when she heard about the zumba game yesterday. I'm hoping that the games/dvds will give me a similar "workout" to what the classes would offer.
  • donthatethesexyme
    Options
    I love the zumba DVDs! You can pause and rewind as much as you need to get the hang of it. When I'm not really in the mood to exercise I put the DVD in and the music on the main screen plays over and over again. After hearing the rythem for a while I get pumped and ready to to go! I have not tried other zumba options but I'm excited to try a class! Good luck and have fun!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Thanks to the both of you for your opinions. I'm going to buy the 2nd zumba game for the kinect as well (probably off ebay, but maybe amazon) and then I'll probably resell the one i'm expecting in the mail. I just didn't feel like waiting 2 more weeks for the next zumba.

I don't really have friends in the area to go do zumba with. "making friends" in your mids 20s isn't easy, and I'm a pretty shy person overall. I moved here a couple of years ago, and I still really don't know anyone here. Except for my In-laws. I also am an only child, so no siblings to hang out and zumba with. I doubt my sister in law would go with me either, she's 20 and is very much into partying.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Games and perhaps the DVDs, at least until i get more confident. Maybe ill invite my mother in law to come over and do them. She seemed excited when she heard about the zumba game yesterday. I'm hoping that the games/dvds will give me a similar "workout" to what the classes would offer.

I go to my YMCA every week and attend a Zumba class. Have been for almost 4 months now. 300+ lbs. 6'3 man with 1-2 other guys. the rest of the class are girls 20-30 of them. I flail like a monkey and I flail proudly damn it! :bigsmile: (actually it's more like a drunk, stoned, blind ape attempting to tap dance while wearing roller skates :blushing: ) I know I suck but I don't care and enjoy myself.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    All three are fun ways of getting some cardio in. As a Zumba Fitness instructor, I do have to say classes are so much fun! They allow you to interact with other people and experience the "cardio party" that Zumba Fitness is known for. The DVD's do offer a lot of variety and also come with the toning sticks and the new Sentao chair workout. They also help with with a diet plat and calendar for staying on track. The video games are fun- but in order to get a really good workout using Wii or Xbox, you really have to push yourself in order to burn calories like you would using the DVD's or going to a class.
  • sirenvega
    sirenvega Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I go to my YMCA every week and attend a Zumba class. Have been for almost 4 months now. 300+ lbs. 6'3 man with 1-2 other guys. the rest of the class are girls 20-30 of them. I flail like a monkey and I flail proudly damn it! :bigsmile: (actually it's more like a drunk, stoned, blind ape attempting to tap dance while wearing roller skates :blushing: ) I know I suck but I don't care and enjoy myself.[/quote]

You sir are AWESOME!
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    i love Zumba! I have Zumba for the Wii and several DVD's. I have never tried the classes because I dont have the time to go a gym that is an hr away and I want to exercise when I want to not when someone else schedules it. I love to dance and if u do then u will love any zumba!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD's. Personally, I prefer to workout at home alone. Im not one that is comfortable getting in a group to exercise. Plus it was cheaper in the long run for me to buy the DVD's. I got them off Amazon and used my gift cards from swagbucks and superpoints so I paid no money out of my own pocket. No way could I afford $5-$10 per class.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    All three are fun ways of getting some cardio in. As a Zumba Fitness instructor, I do have to say classes are so much fun! They allow you to interact with other people and experience the "cardio party" that Zumba Fitness is known for. The DVD's do offer a lot of variety and also come with the toning sticks and the new Sentao chair workout. They also help with with a diet plat and calendar for staying on track. The video games are fun- but in order to get a really good workout using Wii or Xbox, you really have to push yourself in order to burn calories like you would using the DVD's or going to a class.
    absolutely agree...I have done the DVD's on my 'off' Zumba days so nice to have at home, but there's no comparison to the classes where I push myself to a different level. I have been going for almost a year to zumba and the moves come eventually,,so there is nothing to be worried about even if you don't know all the moves down pat... its an amazing fun way to workout :)
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I go to my YMCA every week and attend a Zumba class. Have been for almost 4 months now. 300+ lbs. 6'3 man with 1-2 other guys. the rest of the class are girls 20-30 of them. I flail like a monkey and I flail proudly damn it! :bigsmile: (actually it's more like a drunk, stoned, blind ape attempting to tap dance while wearing roller skates :blushing: ) I know I suck but I don't care and enjoy myself.

This made me happy :smile: I love my zumba classes and I love that there are all ages, men as well as women and all shaps, sizes and capabilities. Anyone who is thinking of doing a class but feels shy or thinks they won't fit in, just go any way! I was so unco-ordinated at the start, despite having done othr types of dance claases for years. I don't care! :bigsmile:

Just get moving, sweat and have fun!:tongue:
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a go at the dvd but go to class and go on the wii, I prefer going to class as its more fun and I am more motivated to go to my allocated slot to get away from the stress of family life. If I stopped going to class and allocated the same time for zumba on the wii I wouldn't do it.

As for calories burned/workout I also get more from class itself. But zumba for the wii/kinect is also good to have in
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options

I am an instructor too. I have to agree that of the three the lives class are so much fun. It is a great way to exercise and not feel out of place. Zumba is a party atmosphere. It does not matter if you get all the moves right. Just keep moving.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba for the Wii but I really believe the class is a better workout. Only because of the energy and party like atmosphere. When doing at home there is an easier chance of stopping during the workout which really isn't good for your heart rate. The class is very motivating and if you need help on moves there are instructors or regulars who are willing to help you. Doing at at home is ok but I don't have as much fun doing it. Classes are so much fun that I now am a licensed Zumba instructor and teach classes with 2 other instructors. Our classes are so much fun that when it's over you can't beleive it and you want to do more! But either way, they are all GREAT workouts!!! 67lbs lost thanks to MFP & Zumba!!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Zumba Classes are the best nothing beats being around the right instructor, love the dvd's for just getting started but beto gets on my nerves, and the games are fun!!! Good Luck to you!!!
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all and this is what i found -

Kinect version is fun and breaks everything down but there is very little 'cues' to whats going to happen next so you may take a little second to adjust to the next move. Once you memorise them its ok. As for the game rating how well you are doing the moves, it's very poor and it barely picks anything up, especially in comparison with other Kinect dance games like Dance Central which is very accurate!

DVD version is good and the toning sticks are definitely a good addition.

Both DVD and Kinect lack the motivator that a class has but it has the upside of doing it in the privacy of your own home and if used regularly will pay for itself ten-fold whereas gym memberships can be costly for one or 2 sessions a week.

Going to class will give you a great buzz and you don't have to worry about knocking over vases and annoying your neighbours! If you go to the gym enough to warrant paying for the membership, then do the classes. If you're shy and want a taster or 'training' before you start, the DVD is the best way to do it. Kinect is a let down but hopefully it will get better 2nd time round!!
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I have gone to classes and I have it for the Kinect. I prefer the Kinect. I can work out whenever I want and don't have to worry about making my schedule around the class schedule. With the Kinect you really can't cheat, since it is scanning your whole body. I am always very sweaty at the end!!
  • Radiva
    Radiva Posts: 14
    Options
    i like all 3 ways but i prefer the class! the push i get from my instructor, meeting all the other ladies and hearing their weight loss stories and their motivation. i truly enjoy it! and also, the change in music, we do ALL TYPES of songs, never know what he will put in!
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I say the classes, you are more motivate, and you don't realize you are even working out due to the fun atmosphere