Colthing rant

Options
KyleB65
KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
Am I the only person who cannot find clothes that fit?

When I had the physique of the Pilsbury Dough Boy I always put it off as that no one made clothes for a Fat *kitten* like me. Well now I am 20 lbs away from my goal weight of 180 lbs and I have gone from a 46" to a 34" waist. Yet, I can still not find shirts that fit.

I used to buy 3XL shirts. Now, I am hovering between L and XL. The problem is length. If I buy a 2XL shirt I get the length that I need but if I buy an X or an XL the shirt comes up my back when ever I sit down. Yet, as per my wife these look nicer as they "fit" me better.

Perhaps it is the current style or fad but after a life time of trying to hide my gut I want shirts that tuck into my pants and stay there! And, I do not think that it is too much to ask that they fit me at the shoulders, arms and waist as well.

Am I being too picky or is it just that I am shopping at stores like Walmart and Zellers too much?

Replies

• ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm just thinking that if length is the only issue, that maybe you should go to one of those Big 'n Tall stores and see if that helps.

But I'm just a girl, what do I know? *skips off*
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    my husband has the same problem. shirts always short :( haven't really found a solution yet......
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm just thinking that if length is the only issue, that maybe you should go to one of those Big 'n Tall stores and see if that helps.

[/quote

^this]
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a broad chest. I have the same issue though it is only with "L" shirts. I can wear an XL just fine but it is loose fitting. An "L" fits me well but it constantly rides up and I'm not a fan of my gut hanging out.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    JCPenny's has a great Big and Tall department. SO is like you has problems finding sleeves long enough for his arms. He found a bunch of shirts that he liked in that department. He got a LT. Large Tall.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you are long in the torso, you may need to try the big and tall section. My husband is 6'2" and wears an XLT because a regular XL rides up his back and shows his belly when he stretches. Give that a whirl - you can find LT and XLT and if your are buying fitted button downs, you may pay like 2 bucks more, but you'll get the fit you need.

Watch the arms though, if you don't have long arms, they may be too long.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Ditto this^^^ A girlfriend of mine has the same issue in womens clothes because she has a long torso.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have similar problems. I'm 6'4", and to get the length I need, they fit like a tent. To get the fit, the sleeves are too short and they don't come down far enough. The problem I've had with Big and Tall shops is that they mean Big AND Tall, not Big OR Tall.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My thought exactly. Many department stores also have clothing in tall sizes for both men and women.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am bordering 34 pants, wear XL shirt, and they fit fine, but I look like a gorilla.

You may need to try out various specialty shops or sections for guys with longer trunks.

No, that's torso - not....oh, never mind.....:tongue:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have similar problems. I'm 6'4", and to get the length I need, they fit like a tent. To get the fit, the sleeves are too short and they don't come down far enough. The problem I've had with Big and Tall shops is that they mean Big AND Tall, not Big OR Tall.

Though you will pay more - stores like Jcrew have tall - not Big & Tall - just tall.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i say its the stores.. my hubby has a very long torso as well but i am able to find stuff in nicer stores like Kohl’s or Beal’s. and its no more expensive then walmart when you hit sales and use their store coupons.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My husband has the same issue. he's not tall, but has to buy shirts that look really baggy so if he raises his arm, you can't see skin
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    My husband has the same problem, and he would always but the larger size, but I finaly convinced him to try a slim fit top, they will still range in size, but have a longer body line. He looks great in them. Hope this helps...:flowerforyou:
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can't stand too-short shirts, it drives me crazy. I find that the higher end companies sell longer shirts, like Nordstrom. They are more expensive, but it's a pet-peeve of mine, so worth it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about t-shirts? I find that stuff at old-navy is about the only ones that fit me. They run extra long so you can tuck them in if you like. There are a number of brands with long polos too. I got my last ones from Kohls, I think.

You have to watch out for dress shirts though. Full cuts always look like a parachute. And "Big & Tall" stores are really just "Big" stores. If you're tall, (and I know you're near goal weight,) they aren't going to have anything for you.

There are a number of online places you can send measurements to and they will custom cut dress shirts. It's not super expensive.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think alot of people have this issue -- how do you clothe your "in between" body while your still in the process of losing weight?
    I say, for the shirts that you are buying to just lounge around the house in, get the bigger sizes & just deal with them being too big (how many times would people have KILLED to have clothes be too big!?!) .. and buy yourself some real nice shirts that will mke you feel good going out in ... For those, again, buy the bigger size BUT have them tailored. The rule of thumb is to fit the largest part of you, and tailor the rest .
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    Try Kohls! Love that store!:love:
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I am bordering 34 pants, wear XL shirt, and they fit fine, but I look like a gorilla.

You may need to try out various specialty shops or sections for guys with longer trunks.

No, that's torso - not....oh, never mind.....:tongue:

ROFLOL...:laugh:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    My husband has some of the same issues...try shopping online(we like Cabelas)and go for TALL sizes.