Carb Cycling...what is considered "low carb"

Options
I currently have macros set at 40 carbs/30 protein / 30 fat. I am trying (attempting) a week or two of carb cycling. When "they" say "low" carb what % do they mean? 10%? 20%?

Replies

• jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i guess people would have various definitions. i would say its more based on your normal intake of carbs.... but ive read that its like 10% of your calories. If you're counting on MFP its really hard to do that low carbs because veggies have some carbs, so it's likely to go over. But it all depends on what you chose to do. Some spokespeople on bodybuilding.com just ignore the veggie carbs and others just literally eat protein....
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Is this carb cycling with three types of days? e.g:
    Mon/Wed/Fri - No Carb days
    Tue/Sat - High Carb
    Thu/Sun - Low Carb?

In those types of diet the low carb days are set at 1g per 1lb bodyweight. Low GI carbs.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    you cant exactly do just week or two of carb cycling.. its 3 days low carb 1 day high carb...you have to do it for a while and carb cycling diets are one of the hardest to put togather because you are not just watching the carb level.. u have to know what foods to have in your diet n measure them to the Tee! you have to watch GI, sodium levels, every macro! ive read 2-3 books before i was comfortable enough to put togather carb cycling diet for myself...

easy way for carb cycling planner is here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-fat-loss-carb-cycling/

put in ur info n make sure u select female... whey everything to the gram n eat exactly whats stated ull see good results...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou!!! Yesterday it did end up being 10% of my total cals. I am planning on doing 3 weeks (Jamie Eason's plan) of 3 days low carb then 1 day high, 3 days low, 1 day high and so on. Just experimenting to see what that makes me feel like and if it does anything for my body as Jamie Eason is describing in her Live fit program. I think veggies are okay but she never comes right out and say specifically what "low" is in % or grams. Soooo....
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    k here is how you count it :) first you need ur BF% to get you Lean body mass (LBM)

so you do lets say for example 200lb guy with 10%BF...

200x0.10=20lbs of fat.. then 200-20=LBM
    LBMx1.25=Protein amount daily
    LBMx.34=Fats
    LBMx.85=low carb day
    low carb dayx2.0=high carb day

You should have 6 meals a day (protein shakes etc are considered a meal)
    divide every macro by 6 this way you get your amount that you should get per meal! n then put togather a meal plan that meets those macros at 6 meals a day... now like i said a "real" carb cycling diet has ALOT more to it then just meeting macros...
    but try to get foods like mixed veggies, chicken, flax seed ground, nuts, etc...

ive been doing the carb cycling for about a month n half now after bulking and im almost back to same BF% as i was before i bulked.. which is amazing considering it took me about 5-6months to get there before lol