Healthy Convenience Foods?

Options
I am looking for ideas for quick, easy low calorie recipes or even good & healthy take out.. I actually love to cook & try new healthy recipes at home but, have realized as a working new mom that I need to simplify things.. I have a Drive through Panera Bread near me & have been going there this week but need more options, Any ideas??

Replies

• jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    eat anything at panera or a convenience food center except a lot of bread, anything fried, or covered in cheese lol. just try and get grilled chicken or turey or fish.... and some sort of a vegetable. i make sure they dont use butter on my food when i go out. if you think of your options like this, it should be easy =)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine ( Lowerst Sodium and Carbs) with added veggies to make them more filling and a small side salad . I would check Panera Breads website, they are deceiving.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Burger King offers a veggie burger that is fantastic, if you get it with out mayo that saves 90 calories. You can also get a side salad instead of fries.

Chipotle is another option, if you get a bowl instead of a tortilla wrap it saves 200 calories.

I also will grill up several chicken breasts and bake up several sweet potatoes to have during the week so it will take me 5 minutes instead of 50.

Panera offers all their calories per meal on their menu, what they do not tell you is that if you choose the bread as a side option that is around 250 calories. Choose the apple as the side.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Panera can be dangerous in the calorie department, so make sure to check out their nutrition facts on their website! If you have Potbelly's near you, try their Wreck salad (pro tip: add hot peppers!) or Chicken Salad salad with their FF vinaigrette. Check the calorie counts before you go, because you may want to skip out on certain cheeses or dressings (usually the main culprits for calories and fat)

Also, anything you can make in the crock pot overnight or while you're at work is a great option.
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    Don't forget Subway. It's the best and usually very convenient!
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I second Chiptole as well! The rice is sooo good but I often get the salads because you save a lot on calories swapping out the rice (though they do have brown rice now!) Also, skip the sour cream and cheese and add lots of salsa!
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    If you get time, you should look at the nutritional information for all of your favorite restaurants online. Pay special attention to the calorie totals and serving amounts. Map out what you can or cannot eat so you will know ahead of time if you are ever running late. I am a graduate student, wife, and mom. I barely ever have time to cook, so I do a lot of my eating on the go. Before I even get to a restaurant I already know what I can and cannot have so it makes ordering so much easier. It also makes it less likely for me to cheat on my diet during weekend outings with friends. I still enjoy my Applebee's on a weekly basis, except now I order more tilapia and less nachos.

Hope this helps
  • Mythel
    Mythel Posts: 72
    Options
    Also a very busy working Mom....We eat soup twice a week (sometimes canned, sometimes something I made in a huge batch and have in the freezer) along with a salad. We also do breakfast for dinner at least one night a week (usually something liked poached eggs with a salad or roasted asparagus). We usually have panini's one night a week using leftovers from the weekend (like roasted chicken, or pork chops). All of these take about 15 minutes to make so they are super fast and economical. I'm also a big fan of stopping at the store and grabbing a rotisserie chicken and pulling frozen veggies out for a super quick dinner. I try to cook "real" meals every Sat. & Sun. and sometimes a little extra to be eaten during the week (such as chicken for paninis). I also do chicken tacos at least two to three times a month (put 3 boneless/ skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker; put at least a 1/2 cup of salsa on top; cook on low for 8 hours (I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long but I'm at work all day so I never check); shred the chicken with two forks and use it to make yummy tacos! Serves 4 of us with usually leftovers.) This meal also takes about 15 minutes...this includes throwing it together in the morning, shredding the chicken, and prepping taco ingredients (tortillas, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc.)

Making things liked baked ziti on the weekend and saving them to eat (they reheat really well) on weekday is great option also!
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't forget Subway. It's the best and usually very convenient!

I totally agree
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    Definitely Subway
    Use Mustard instead of Mayo
    and no cheese

16076464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Mandya0503
    Mandya0503 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chickfila is always my go to. I get the Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich meal with either a salad or chicken soup. Diet Dr Pepper :) Also, Baja Fresh/Chipolte/Qdoba type places. I get the bare chicken burrito and just make it to order. Light cheese, no sour cream, etc... I think all their websites have nutrition calculators.
  • krisrhymer
    krisrhymer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for all the great advice!! I think I'll try to cook on nights that I can.. I like the rotiserrie chicken idea, I forgot about those! The slow cooker chicken tacos are easy & really good, I made them last week! & I'll just get healthy take out on tough nights, It's easy to go online & check websites for calories:happy: