what kind of stretches should i be doing before a run?

iv just got back into running after 5 years, i went out for firsttime last night and managed 4KM in 21mins before i felt like death lol. i didnt do many stretches and nothing afterwards, should i be stretching before and after?

thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    You should definitely be stretching! My physiotherapist friend recommends a walk to warm up and then a stretch before running. Stretching after is very important as well!

There are lots of online resources for running, here's a guide to stretching for runners that I found on runnersworld.com:

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-241-287-0-0,00.html
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    A new report presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ annual meeting by researchers from George Washington University and the USA Track and Field Association (USATF) finds that stretching prior to running isn't necessary and doesn't reduce the likelihood of injury. A perplexing finding of the analysis was that runners who changed their routine either to include stretching prior to a run when they normally did not or vice versa were more likely to be injured after having made the change. Those who did not routinely stretch who began stretching increased their chance of injury by 22 percent, while runners who stopped stretching were 40 percent more likely to get injured.

I'm not a trainer and I'm not representing this as fact. I'm just providing a link to some new research. YMMV.

http://www.healthnews.com/healthnews_reader/en/news/Hit-The-Ground-Running-No-Stretching-Necessary/3GDkOwfNL7h9yeQbbTy04y/
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Based on what you said, I think a proper warm-up would make a far bigger difference to your run, but don't neglect the dynamic stretching before, static after too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    You don't really need to stretch before. Just walk a little and run really easy for the first five or so minutes. That will warm up your muscles enough for running.

Stretch afterwards when everything is warm and the blood is flowing.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    I do not stretch before a run. I take it easy for the first two mins, gradually increasing my stride and pace.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    I fall into the 'no stretching required before' camp...

HOWEVER I know it takes me between 3 and 5 miles to get warmed up properly.

If you're doing distance training then just start off slow and pick up speed naturally as you loosen up. - but for track/speed work sessions you are better off doing 20 minutes of gentle running than you are stretching.

After a run.. spend as long as you can afford stretching.... You'll find plenty of routines on line. Heres one to get you started.

stretching_after.gif