Strength training for women... what should I do?

Options
I am trying to make it to the gym every morning before work. I am doing the elliptical right now and am trying to come up with a strength training routine as well. I am not sure what I should be doing? I know how to work the machines, so that's not my issue...

I just don't know which muscle groups to do together?
How many days per week?
What the best exercises are to do for what muscle groups?
Should I do cardio first and then strength?
Should I do cardio on some days and strength on the others?

I go to the gym at 5:15 am, I have to catch a 7:04 train to get to work... So I have about an hour or so in the gym not counting getting ready etc. If I am doing cardio first and then strength I need a strength routing that is about 30 minutes long.

Getting to the gym any earlier, or going at night is not an option as I have a 3 year old and 11 month old that I don't see as much as I would like during the week :-( But I need to get healthy!

BTW, I am 5'2, 32yo,Female, 179 pounds - Initial Goal weight is 150, Ultimate Goal weight is 130.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have one word of advice for you - get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" - it is by far the "bible" of weight lifting. I have seen wonderful results!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have one word of advice for you - get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" - it is by far the "bible" of weight lifting. I have seen wonderful results!

This, I didn't know how to lift and this was a huge help. Very inexpensive and worth every cent
  • knelson422
    Options
    Is there a trainer at your gym? Many gyms have a 1 time meeting with the trainer for free. It may be worth asking them so that you are starting in the right spot. Good luck!!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    I have the book Sculpting Her Body Perfect by Brad Schoenfeld. It is amazing! I have seen great results in myself and my sister.
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We are the same height and age but you're 4lbs lighter than me lol. I am doing the same as you at the moment too, but I am going to ask a trainer at my gym to write an exercise program for me. Do they do this at your gym? I know it's free at my gym but I've never had 1 done before, not yet anyway. I've also started doing the 30 day shred dvd and that is doing wonders to work every muscle too xx
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    I use a medicine ball.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/ultimate-medicine-ball-workout

It is Men's Health but it is perfectly fine. I love it and have seen some good full-body toning (including my belly).

Also, use the previously suggested weight-lifting book for women. It is brilliant! Switch it up! I do medicine ball 3 days a week and the other three days, I do arms and back, core and glutes, and then legs. I always have one rest day from the gym!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

This, I didn't know how to lift and this was a huge help. Very inexpensive and worth every cent

I'm going to third this. It's helped me out a LOT and I'm liking the results so far.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I found a good site that you can select what type of workout you'd like to concentrate on: Fat Loss, Muscle, and Health and longevity. You can put in how much time you have and you can designate which body parts to concentrate on.

http://gainfitness.com/
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Thanks, I am definitly getting this book, I am with a trainer right now, there are some great sights out there were you can find weightlifting routines as well :-), I was doing one that was four days a week that I found online and it worked pretty well :-)

http://www.realsolutionsmag.com/weight-training/
    http://www.weight-lifting-guide.com/dumbbell-routine.html
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
  • Maddy__H
    Maddy__H Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I found http://www.bodybuilding.com/ generally very helpfull. They have good sample rountines and informative articles.

Read part 1 and 2 of this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi13.htm

And I have invested into a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to get the basics and form right, as it is crucial to perform the sets correctly to not hurt yourself.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I'm going to third this. It's helped me out a LOT and I'm liking the results so far.

+1 :smile:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I do a 20-30 minute routine about 3x a week. The routine was set up by a trainer. The routine alternates every other time. I do about 12 reps per machine, with the weight adjusted so I am at failure on the 10th-12 rep. If I can go past 12, I keep going until failure, and then up the weight next time:

Routine 1:
    leg extension
    leg curl
    inner thigh
    outer thigh
    seated overhead press
    row
    lat raise
    arm cross
    biceps
    triceps
    oblique curl

Routine 2:
    leg extension
    leg curl
    leg press
    seated overhead curl
    seated overhead pull down
    chest press
    assisted chins/dips
    abs
    low back

I just realized this list won't help that much if your gym doesn't have those same machines - but that's what a trainer set up for me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Another New Rules recommendation here. And you should lift first then do cardio. Or do them on different days.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    another vote for new rules.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Heard great things about New Rules.

Stay away from machines - your stabilizer muscles will not get the workout you need.

Lift heavy, few reps per set. Contrary to popular belief, you won't bulk up.
  • ShardeRenee
    ShardeRenee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for Posting this. I have been wondering the same thing.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    my vote goes to NROL4W.

And, there is a "group" on mfp you can join for "NROL4W", as well as "women strength-training" for more info!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    BTW, I started out 164+lbs, I'm 5'3 30 yrs. old. I'm now around 130-132