Have ham bone, need pea soup recipe!

Options
We hosted a brunch yesterday and served a spiral ham. I did well and planned a pretty healthy menu and even gave away a lot of the leftovers so they aren't in my fridge tempting me! Anyway, I kept the ham bone so I can make pea soup. Anybody have a good recipe? Thanks!

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump - i need one too. i've got split peas and ham steaks.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    the receipe is on the pea bag. Thats how hubby and i make it :happy:
  • LainieKnits
    LainieKnits Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    2 cups of dried split peas, washed
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 packets low sodium chicken broth
    2 quarts water
    1/2 tsp pepper

Put all ingredients in the crockpot with the ham bone. Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Remove the hambone and cut up any meat. Using a stick blender, puree the soup in the crockpot until it is the texture you like. Add the chopped meat.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker?

My mom never uses a recipe. She just tosses the hambone in, adds a can of broth, some dried split peas (soaked before hand), and diced up a carrot or two. Adds an onion if she has it. Perhaps garlic if she's feeling it. No set ingredient list, but always delicious. But she's so maddening because she doesn't really know how she does it--just has a magic touch so I can't help with amounts or proportions.

I do know that if you want your soup more like canned soup, you can take a portion of the finished soup and puree it in a blender or food processor before stirring it back into the rest of the soup to make it more smooth.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't know what the calories are, but Honey baked ham has the most wonderful split pea soup mix - I don't know what the spice blend is, but I would LOVE to figure it out!
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sure! I cook by taste, but I can probably help you. I suggest that you don't follow a recipe - instead, follow your instincts and taste buds.
    Put the ham bone and yellow and/or green split peas in a large pot with two or three bay leaves and several black peppercorns. Depending on the size of the bone and the size of the pot, I may add 4-8 bags of peas (depending on how thick you want it). Add water to cover the bone and peas, plus an additional 3-5 cups. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 90 minutes or so.
    In the meantime, slice a few large sweet yellow onions and saute' in a large fry pan with a bag of chopped celery. Use a healthy oil (and not much) and some salt to release the water in the onions. Cook until soft and translucent. Then, chop a few cloves of garlic and cook with the onions until heated through and fragrant.
    Test the peas. If they are soft, remove the bone and pick all the ham off of it. Chop if needed and reserve for later.
    To the pot, add a large bag of cut carrots
    Add some peeled and sliced parsnips if you have some
    Add the onions, celery and garlic with cooking liquid and oil
    Bring back to a simmer
    Cook for 40-50 minutes until carrots are just soft
    Add a large scoop of chicken soup base or bullion and the ham to the pot
    Bring back to a simmer and taste. If it needs more salt, add some more chicken soup base or some kosher salt
    Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let it sit for at least an hour.
    The longer it sits, the thicker it will be. I like mine thick! It will be even thicker after sitting in the fridge for the night
    Add pepper to taste
    Enjoy!

Pete
  • nicolevieluf
    Options
    Hi! I made this yesterday and it was fantastic. It uses white navy beans though. And I didn't add the butter at the end :noway:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/navy-bean-soup-recipe2/index.html
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options

Thanks for this! I can't believe I forgot to look at skinnytaste.com! I'm going to try it later in the week and I will let you know how it comes out.

Btw, you reminded me about another soup recipe from her site that the whole family loves
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html

I think this will be dinner tonight because I have all the ingredients in the house and a sick kid on the couch. I need to get a bag of dried peas for the pea soup!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for it on my blog with piccies, if you wanna check it out...in that particular version I used a ham steak but I use hambones in it all the time. :happy:

http://cynicalspinster.blogspot.com/2010/09/split-pea-soup-recipe.html

I also love to take my hambone, throw it into a pot of simmering pinto beans with some onion, garlic, and chopped jalapeno. It's really good and when served over a bit of rice, or even just a bowl of it by itself.

ETA: I don't use chicken broth or chicken bullion in mine because the ham adds a good flavor and a bit of sodium on it's own...
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Just wanted to update that I used the skinnytaste recipe and it is delicious! I had a cup for lunch and divided the rest into I cup servings since I had a lot of ham in it. The way the recipe is written, one serving is 9.3 oz.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    that sound good