"Green" Shakes

Options
JGT2004
JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
To get more veggies in I have been trying shakes with spinach for my breakfasts.... I have modified one that is popular on Pinterest to get more protein in. I put everything listed below together and blend till smooth then add ice until I get it to the consistency I like. This usually makes nearly 32 oz!

1 med-large banana (I froze mine)
2 cups baby spinach
3/4 c. unsweetended vanilla almond milk
1/2 c. vanilla fat-free Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
1 heaping scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use Body Fortress brand)
and 1 c. of fresh or frozen strawberries

Below are the stats from when I entered it in MFP for the whole 32 oz (can realistically serve 2 people):
Calories 424
Fat 5g
Cholesterol 55mg
Sodium 267mg
Potassium 1229mg
Total Carbs 58g
Fiber 9g
Sugar 34g
Protein 42g
Vitamin A 122%
Vitamin C 197%
Calcium 65%
Iron 22%

Tastes like a normal strawberry banana shake you just have to ignore the purple/green looking color. I think I'm addicted to these now!

I have also make a chunky monkey version swapping out the vanilla for chocolate protein and the strawberries for 2 tbs of peanut butter. That version has a little bit more calories but I believe is still under 550.

FYI I have entered the recipe and shared it on MFP. I named it the "Green Strawberry Banana". Enjoy!

Replies

• raynashea
    Options
    Try it this morning oh so good !
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have just recently tried green smoothies myself and am addicted to them! My favorite is a green pina colada.

1 cup coconut milk (I used the Silk coconut milk and it's not as coconutty in flavor as the canned so I added 2 tbsp shredded coconut)
    1 frozen banana
    1 cup frozen pineapple
    1 tbsp flax seed
    about 3 cups fresh baby spinach (I fill the blender container up to the top with spinach, pushing it down and adding more until it's full)

Delicious!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy! I am going to give them a try.
  • megansmayhem
    megansmayhem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just did the Mean Green recipe from pinterest which is almost identical to the one you posted and I LOVED it. It tasted like a treat and you cannot taste the spinach at all that I put in it! So good and I am still full 3 hours later.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I made one last night after my workout and it was pretty tasty!

1 cup frozen blueberries
    2 cups baby spinach
    2 cups skim milk
    2 scoops of my protein powder

I eat spinach all the time so I was afraid of the taste, but I was surprised that I couldn't taste it at all! But, mine certainly didn't look like a green shake since the blueberries gave it most of the color.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I do these quite often.... but I usually add an avocado -- get some good fats in there too!
    Fage 0% greek yogurt, a banana, an avocado, spinach and some almond/coconut milk and yum!

For sweeter, fruitier I often mix with diet v8 tropical splash, or Trop 50 instead of milk/water

(PS there are a lot of studies out that say you really can't process more than 30g protein at one sitting so making a shake with 40 or 60g protein isn't necessary. I usually try to hit 20-30g._
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Did you know you good "pre-make" smoothies. Make the smoothie as normal then freeze in ice cube trays or muffin tins. When they are frozen, pop them out and put them in a freezer bag. (I also do this with pesto in the summer.) I need a bigger freezer!!

Edit: I forgot to mention, that you don't have to reblend. Just let it melt in a cup.
  • AGorman27
    Options
    I eat a green smoothie every single day. When I don't, I just don't feel myself. Here's my recipe:

8oz Silk Soy Milk Light
    4 cups spinach
    1 small banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    .5 cup frozen blueberries

I've tried other recipe, but this is my tried and true. :-)
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been going off cooked spinach a bit lately so will give this a go... thanks.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zac222
    zac222 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love green smoothies! I try to have one every mid-morning/afternoon to get me through working evening shifts. Here's my "go to" one.

1 cup spinach
    water (its like a cup or 3/4, i never measure)
    1 apple
    1 orange
    3 frozen bananas (makes it milkshake-y)
    tblsp or so of chia seeds
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've tried the spinach/chocolate whey protein/banana/vanilla soy milk/peanut butter combo, very good . easy to play around with the combinations
  • kellybug123
    Options
    bumpity, bump..........bump
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump! great recipes!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    glad i read this! I plan to add some greens to my shakes this week also!
  • Remmygodd
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try adding Navitas Cacao Powder and Navitas Hemp Power.

I am thinking about fat free yogurt, strawberries, cacao powder, hemp power, and maybe a bit of honey to add a little sweetness.
    You could add a banana, but am concerned about the carbs in bananas.

I am not really into green shakes, also maybe add some kelp or spirolina, these protect against radiation poisoning, especially spirolina.
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try switching out the spinach for other greens. Collards make a truly amazing smoothie colour and you don't taste them one bit. And all types of kale are delicious in smoothies. Just remove the thick centre stem (which can be bitter). Oh so so good! You should really avoid eating the same greens day to day, week to week as all greens contain varying forms of alkaloids and you can get alkaloid build up if you eat only one kind of green (ie spinach) all the time. If you are adventurous try dandelion greens (removing centre stem). One of my favourite green smoothies is frozen mango, frozen banana, raw greens and either an organic apple juice (like Santa Cruz - the brown coloured ones) or throw in a couple of peeled oranges and water if needed. You can add in extra protein by adding ground hemp or ground chia seed. Enjoy :-)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    yummy :)
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Try switching out the spinach for other greens. Collards make a truly amazing smoothie colour and you don't taste them one bit. And all types of kale are delicious in smoothies. Just remove the thick centre stem (which can be bitter). Oh so so good! You should really avoid eating the same greens day to day, week to week as all greens contain varying forms of alkaloids and you can get alkaloid build up if you eat only one kind of green (ie spinach) all the time. If you are adventurous try dandelion greens (removing centre stem). One of my favourite green smoothies is frozen mango, frozen banana, raw greens and either an organic apple juice (like Santa Cruz - the brown coloured ones) or throw in a couple of peeled oranges and water if needed. You can add in extra protein by adding ground hemp or ground chia seed. Enjoy :-)

Thanks for the advice! I have only made the chocolate one once and the strawberry one twice. I am just beginning to be more adventurous and trying to make sure I am getting my vitamins and fruits/veggies. I have heard of using kale and plan to try it but will have to add collards to the list. Thanks!