5K RUN! ME!?!

Options
mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
Holy cow!!! My daughter (Amylynne26) called me this morning wanting to know if I would do a 5K run with her. So we're going to do this program she found called "From Couch to 5K" or something like that. I should say I'm going to TRY to do this program with her then we're going to (in my case TRY) to run a 5K marathon for the cure for breast cancer at Alki in August. We're actually pretty excited about it. I think her daughter and my son may do it with us. We'll have to ask them. Wish us lots of luck because at least one of us is going to need all the luck I can get. :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I have heard a lot of good things about the couch to 5K program. Don't say "try", say "do". You can do this.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!!! My daughter (Amylynne26) called me this morning wanting to know if I would do a 5K run with her. So we're going to do this program she found called "From Couch to 5K" or something like that. I should say I'm going to TRY to do this program with her then we're going to (in my case TRY) to run a 5K marathon for the cure for breast cancer at Alki in August. We're actually pretty excited about it. I think her daughter and my son may do it with us. We'll have to ask them. Wish us lots of luck because at least one of us is going to need all the luck I can get. :laugh: :laugh:

You can do it, I'm on week 8 of the 9 week program now. Amazingly I've found that after around week 4, it gets progressively *easier*. Just take your time, repeat a week if necessary until your body is ready to progress.

And to quote a great little green man, "Do or do not - there is no try."
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    i started with the 5k. running a 10 k tomorrow. marathon in january.
    it is addictive. look out!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 right now of this. I have been taking it slow and doing each week 2 times. Good luck to you and you CAN DO IT!!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good for you, that is a big deal. You can do it and I wish you the best of luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    i started with the 5k. running a 10 k tomorrow. marathon in january.
    it is addictive. look out!

Gosh, and I thought my 3 year time frame to get to a marathon was fast :laugh:
    Completely skipping half marathons?
  • VishousBabe
    Options
    I'm starting the same program today! Found it last night thru reading posts on here! I felt the same way... ME???... but after thinking about it I thought YES, ME!!!
    You CAN DO IT!!!! Good Luck!!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I can now run 5K, a slow 5K but a 5 K nonetheless!
    I agree that it gets easier around the midpoint of the program and definitely repeat weeks if needed. But don't be afraid to try the next week, you will be surprised at what your body can do!
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    not skipping. i plan to do a half sometime in the fall... just not sure which one, where or when...
    perhaps cow harbor new york... although that may only be a 10k.
  • naugustyniak
    Options

You can do it, I'm on week 8 of the 9 week program now. Amazingly I've found that after around week 4, it gets progressively *easier*. Just take your time, repeat a week if necessary until your body is ready to progress.

Have you used the podcasts? I saw them on the site and was wondering how they were.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

hahaha... I was totally going to quote the little green guy...

We can DO THIS MOMMA!!! :flowerforyou:

we have 12 weeks or so until the 5K. Even if we have to repeat a week or two we can make it! But I think I need some new running shoes lol.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I started a couch to 5K around last Thanksgiving, and on Feb 2, Superbowl Sunday, I did it! I was able to run the whole time (38:43), and when I started the training, I could not even run for a minute without feeling like I was gasping for breath.

another poster said it, it is in my signature- Do or do not, There is no try!

Decide that you WILL, and then amaze yourself!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support. There's a walking trail near where I'm moving to that has a marked 5K area so I'm pretty excited.
  • mommared53
    Options

hahaha... I was totally going to quote the little green guy...

We can DO THIS MOMMA!!! :flowerforyou:

we have 12 weeks or so until the 5K. Even if we have to repeat a week or two we can make it! But I think I need some new running shoes lol.

And there she is. :laugh: :laugh: I was thinking that too, but I have my Rykas that I found at Ross. I'll see how they work out.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm just making excuses to go to DSW lol.

But seriously I am excited about this especially since you will be living close enough to me that we can meet up at the trail or whatever. Tell Steve if he doesn't want to do it with us I'll make John go and he can babysit lol!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    You all will love Couch to 5k - I just finished week 7 workout 1 - 2.5 miles!! When I started 1 lap KILLED me - that's 10 laps around the track - you can do it!!! I am doing a Race for the Cure in Oct - that's why I started the program too!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 5K last night and it was awesome! such a great accomplishment! You can totally do it! Just go slow and steady. Know there will be some rough days and some really good days. Rest between each day and follow the program!! Keep us updated!!
  • msarro
    Options

Have you used the podcasts? I saw them on the site and was wondering how they were.

Yes, I use them every time I run. I'm using the one from ullreys... I know there are others though :)
  • naugustyniak
    Options

Yes, I use them every time I run. I'm using the one from ullreys... I know there are others though :)

That was the one I was looking at. I might download those and start that. I need a little more structure....getting a little lax here and have my first run/walk (wanting to just run) in September.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good luck to you and your daughter on the 5k! I'm so excited for you and jealous, too. I wish I could run with my daughters but alas, it seems that neither one of them likes to get up off the couch!

Keep us posted!