Keeping vegetables Fresh for extended periods

Options
Hey all,
Anyone have any special tips for keeping veggies fresh. Yesterday I had to throw away a cucumber, pepper and a couple of avocados- and I hate wasting like that! I have seen some type of green wrapper stuff at the store that is supposed to keep them fresh for a long time- Does anyone use this? Or have any other ideas?

Thanks in Advance!!

Replies

• NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh no one?
  • mindy71183
    Options
    Bump! I am curious about this too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I want to know about green bags too.

Some items (fruits especially) can be frozen. The texture suffers, but if you use them in soups, smoothies, etc. ... who cares.

Blanching veggies (boiling or steaming briefly) before freezing is best. I don't know why veggies are blanched first.
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Tupperware sells containers called "Fridgesmart." They are designed to properly vent different types of veggies and fruit in your fridge. I use them all the time and they keep everything fresh and crispy for a lot longer. Being a Tupperware product, they ARE expensive, but they work!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    Anyone have any special tips for keeping veggies fresh. Yesterday I had to throw away a cucumber, pepper and a couple of avocados- and I hate wasting like that! I have seen some type of green wrapper stuff at the store that is supposed to keep them fresh for a long time- Does anyone use this? Or have any other ideas?

Thanks in Advance!!
    THE Debbie Green bags or whatever, i got those once. The thing abt them is you have to wipe them down every single day.. no moisture should get into the bags, this is what keeps them from going bad. That being said, i dont use them anymore. I can do the same thing with a ziplock and throw in a p.towel to keep moisture out! I find that i just buy fresh veggies in small amts and often.
  • jessicaann05
    Options
    I've used green bags before and they work especially well with lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, and blueberries. Do not use them for mushrooms! You can reuse them a few times, but then you have to buy more. It gets spendy, but they're nice if you buy in bulk. I try to buy only what I'll eat in a week... and/or stop at the store for the freshest varieties.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew! Our lettuce goes bad remarkably fast.
  • jessicaann05
    Options
    [/quote] THE Debbie Green bags or whatever, i got those once. The thing abt them is you have to wipe them down every single day.. no moisture should get into the bags, this is what keeps them from going bad. That being said, i dont use them anymore. I can do the same thing with a ziplock and throw in a p.towel to keep moisture out! I find that i just buy fresh veggies in small amts and often.
    [/quote]

^^Yes!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tupperware sells containers called "Fridgesmart." They are designed to properly vent different types of veggies and fruit in your fridge. I use them all the time and they keep everything fresh and crispy for a lot longer. Being a Tupperware product, they ARE expensive, but they work!

Thanks! This looks like a good alternative to the bags