Wondering if I should try a colon cleanser?? any advice?

Options
Hi,

I have been wanting to try a colon cleanser but am worried that it might not be safe...has any one had a positive experience with a product that you can suggest. There are so many scams out there..

Thanks!!

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Have Fiber One every morning for a good week. It's cheaper and safter than any pill you'll find.
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Prunes! Ohhhh yaa.. ;)
  • PeachJuice
    PeachJuice Posts: 14
    Options
    a friend of mine once had a colonix. It's a buit like a colonoscopy, same everything except instead of having a camera at the end of the tube, it shoots water. Apparently it's painless and the girl lost like 10 pds of gross stuff that the colon has inside it. It's not thousands of dollars either. And it's a healthier choice than taking pills and/or drinking a certain something all day every day for a week. Look into it. You might want to try it.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Please save your money and your health. Colon cleansers are not needed. Our bodies are designed to be self cleaning. And they work if we eat right. Getting enough fiber from foods and drinking enough water.
    The only thing a colon cleanse does is make money for the company that sells it.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    But I have heard that you can have "build up" in your intestines for decades. I suffer from irregularity constantly, even though I am getting 25-35 grams of fiber each day and of course drinking tons of water. I am constantly bloated and feel like a good cleansing would help me. I am wanting to try the lemon, maple syrup, cayenne pepper cleanse, but I am having a hard time committing to no food for 10 days. I wonder if it would be beneficial even if I only did it for 3 days?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Consider Ann Louise Gittleman's book, "Fat Flush Plan". She offers ways to get rid of the bloat and constipation. No colonics, no exotic cleanses which could mess up your metabolism. Just a common sense approach by a respected nutritionist. She also explains fully the hows & whys of her plan. Good luck!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Have you ever been checked for food intolerance? Your symptoms sound similar to those who are lactose or wheat intolerant.

Skip the cleanses and please, pretty please DO NOT do any Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanse hurrah. Here's what to do: for 1-2 weeks, eat a spotless diet. No refined sugars. No added salt. Limited or no dairy intake. Lean white meat and fish only (or none at all), lots of vegetables - raw or steamed ONLY, lots and lots of water, fresh fruits, raw nuts/seeds, legumes, whole grains. Avoid processed foods. Avoid white bread or any refined products. Aim for whole food. If you'd like, take a psyllium husk fiber supp. on the side while doing this. Make sure to get in some daily activity - walking, biking, etc.

I guarantee you'll feel better afterward.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I am a nurse and I work with GI doctors doing colonoscopy and endoscopy daily. There is NO build up in your colon. You are not going to lose 10-20 pounds, and in some cases you can get a pretty nasty colitis from it. Don't do it!!!! Believe me, if it were of any health benefit, we would do it at our office and charge your insurance. Trust me!!:bigsmile:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Have you ever been checked for food intolerance? Your symptoms sound similar to those who are lactose or wheat intolerant.

Skip the cleanses and please, pretty please DO NOT do any Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanse hurrah. Here's what to do: for 1-2 weeks, eat a spotless diet. No refined sugars. No added salt. Limited or no dairy intake. Lean white meat and fish only (or none at all), lots of vegetables - raw or steamed ONLY, lots and lots of water, fresh fruits, raw nuts/seeds, legumes, whole grains. Avoid processed foods. Avoid white bread or any refined products. Aim for whole food. If you'd like, take a psyllium husk fiber supp. on the side while doing this. Make sure to get in some daily activity - walking, biking, etc.

I guarantee you'll feel better afterward.

My typical daily food intake looks like this: Breakfast -100% Whole Wheat. No Sugar, No Sodium. Snack - Triscuits and Hummus, Lunch - Salad with Red Wine Vinegar for dressing, maybe a can of tuna on it, Dinner - Lean ground beef, chicken, or pork loin and fresh veggies. Other things I eat are brown rice, whole wheat bread, hard boiled eggs, strawberries, wheat tortillas, tons and tons of water, I don't eat refined sugar, I dont add salt to anything, NEVER eat white bread, or any kind of microwave meals of the such, no cheese, about 4 oz of milk each day. I track my sodium on here and usually take about 1500 mg/per day. Which I think is good. I exercise 4 times a week for 45 min to an hour, along with plenty of activity such as gardening, playing with the dog. I have looked at fiber supplements at the store and decided not to make the purchase because each serving is only 3g fiber/3 times a day. I get 12g from the tortillas I eat.

Do you have any suggestions for the best fiber supplement to get?
  • Veron
    Veron Posts: 2
    Options
    I can "second" what mrd232 has said. A few additional suggestions. A fantastic Holistic Doctor (A real MD who practiced for years before opening her holistic office) put me on a 21 day detox that helps your body to naturally "cleanse". The diet mentioned is great. 80% of the food should be veggies and some fruit. For the first 2 weeks avoid legumes because they are a "sticky" food. You want things to MOVE! haha. Add chicken or fish ( a light meat ) in the second and third week.

My suggestion would be to go through a doctor who uses Standard Process products. (All natural, etc.) They can help you do this safely and most effectively.

:flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I'm not trying to be argumentative about this. I just dont understand why/how I could be so bloated, uncomfortable, and irregular. :sad:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be argumentative about this. I just dont understand why/how I could be so bloated, uncomfortable, and irregular. :sad:

Read this article:

http://www.naturalsolutionsmag.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/center.article/articleID/15094/subTopicID/114/GutFeeling

It's from an alternative medicine magazine. It talks about how digestive problems with seemingly no physical cause can be linked to emotions. I have a similar problem to you, I eat a diet that is low in processed foods and high in fiber but I still have issues with constipation. This article really helped me understand part of what is causing my problems.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Actually, I did tons of research on this because I am having problems with irregularity, bloating, etc. and I do not want to take the colon cleansing pills. I found that Epson salt mixed with water works. You mix about 1-2 tbsp of salt with 1/2 glass of water, mix and guzzle. It doesn't taste very well; however, if you add a Crystal Light packet, lemon, or lime juice to it you might be able to handle it better. If you can get past this, it works very well and it's natural. Good luck!

210557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Actually, I did tons of research on this because I am having problems with irregularity, bloating, etc. and I do not want to take the colon cleansing pills. I found that Epson salt mixed with water works. You mix about 1-2 tbsp of salt with 1/2 glass of water, mix and guzzle. It doesn't taste very well; however, if you add a Crystal Light packet, lemon, or lime juice to it you might be able to handle it better. If you can get past this, it works very well and it's natural. Good luck!

210557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I will try this. Good idea adding lemon or lime juice. Does this hit you right away or does it take a while? I ask because when it gets really bad for me, I end up taking a dose of Milk of Magnesia before bed (as directed) and having to go to work late the next day! :blushing:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I work with GI doctors doing colonoscopy and endoscopy daily. There is NO build up in your colon. You are not going to lose 10-20 pounds, and in some cases you can get a pretty nasty colitis from it. Don't do it!!!! Believe me, if it were of any health benefit, we would do it at our office and charge your insurance. Trust me!!:bigsmile:

I'm going to start here. THANK YOU! More and more people are buying into what these companies tell us. So keep speaking out and letting people know the truth.

Now to AwMyLoLo, If you are already getting 25-35 gr of fiber naturally through your food and drinking enough water and exercising. Maybe you are like me and other people who are regular even if they don't go everyday. When I found out that this was ok I felt much better. I think I felt more bloated because people kept telling me I should go everyday. Now that I don't stress over it I really do feel better.
    For awhile I tried to up my fiber through supplements. That was a mistake! Then I really did feel bloated. Like you I drink enough water, exercise and get about the same amounts of fiber through my food.

For you though you say you are feeling bloated and uncomfortable. So I would try making some dietary changes. Maybe adding prune juice. I've heard it works wonders and I think you can get it in other flavors now.

I do hope you find your normal and can get away from the uncomfortable feeling. I'm sure it's no fun.

Your dog is cute!:flowerforyou:
  • nzfoxy
    nzfoxy Posts: 29
    Options
    I eat a similar diet to you each day, exercise, reached my goal weight and started suffering from constipation (really bad). I was completely baffled as to why/how I could be bloated & constipated when I am so healthy and fit. I asked on here about it and had some great replies, what has fixed me is I drink a glass of warm prune juice every day and now I go regularly and the bloating is no where near as bad. Good luck & try the prune juice (initially I thought I'd hate the taste of it but it is actually REALLY good!) :flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Really? Prune juice? Why warm?

That sounds like a good idea. I will look into it. Thank you guys for your advice.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been wanting to try a colon cleanser but am worried that it might not be safe...has any one had a positive experience with a product that you can suggest. There are so many scams out there..

Thanks!!

I've done sessions of colon cleansing before, I thought it was a waste of my money, could have done the same thing at home. Although the lady who performed colon hydrotherapy on me said she had one guy come in and a marble came out that he swallowed when he was 10...imagine all the old stuff inside you ewww...

Anyway take a laxative tea at night and saltwater flush in the morning (2 teaspoons sea salt "not regular salt" and 32 ounces of water) and trust me....that will clean you OUT!!!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Also a nice strawberry cleanse will do wonders. Eat 2 cups of strawberries with every meal in addition to celerey and cucumbers with lunch and asparagus with dinner. Also stick with fish as your primary protein source. You will feel less bloated in about 2-3 days.
  • apple2k
    apple2k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did the Slimquick cleanser for 7 days. I lost 2 lbs with it and it's just to get you started. Not all colon cleansers are safe for everyone and it may effect you better or worse than others. They say you should talk to your doctor first in case you have other health issues. I don't, so I thought what the heck. I had a lot of loose stools. Definately no constipation. It was a little inconvenient during work hours running to the bathroom. I do hear a lot of people take the fiber mix in the morning to wash their system out before work or before starting your day. Either way it will give you a boost and a start to your diet.:flowerforyou: