Could you tighten hanging skin successfully through exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

Probably no the place for a guy to hang around, I do remember seeing something on the Discovery channel a few years back about reversing the ageing process. There they were talking about something called Seymour systems. Effectively I think they were massaging the skin heavily to increase the collagen in the skin. They showed a woman who wanted to get rid of her tummies loose skin and did so after a few months (including exercise). I'm not sure how vigorous they were with the massages but I think it was at the point where it might have been a tad uncomfortable.

I had a look at their website back then to see if they had any products to sell but it said the website wasn’t completed yet and looking at it tonight it hasn’t changed :)

They also implied that all the creams and lotions used by beauty companies actually worked because people were actually massaging them into the skin, and that the action of massaging was creating the "age defying" results, not the creams.

Not sure if this is of any use, or if it actually works. But I figure it can’t hurt?
    Nope sounds like it can't hurt at all to me! Thank you so much because that is a unique idea I'm sure no one else would think of. The website seems to be seymoursystems.com/menu.htm and if nothing else it has some very calming music to it..lmso. I don't care if men hang around because I appreciate any ideas.. I am just worried and want to make sure I try everything to look somewhere near my age. I'm only twenty-one years old and I will be twenty-two in April, a little less than one month after our second baby is due. Thank you. :]
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Skin issues are generally fixed by what you eat.
    Look into eating foods higher in vitamins that help the skin!
    Thank you. That will definitely be a good idea because I am Vitamin D deficient by a lot and just found out.. I think it is best I try to up my intake and take my pills regularly because I read Vitamin D can help the skin a lot. Thank you for the suggestion for sure and I will look into it some more. :]
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    My mom's had three kids and has stretch marks and has been able to tighten her stomach back to almost perfect. She uses Bio-Oil to help with the stretch marks and has gotten herself down to about 105 lbs, with killer abs.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    My hubby and I are BLESSED with 10 children. We have one set of twins in the mix! ;-)! I have a noticeable tummy FOLD of skin now after the twins! :-( Oh well! :-) I've heard of dry skin brushing helping with this issue. I am trying to be consistent w/ it myself.

It feels good and I know that I taking better care of my skin in this way.

You can "google" it or better yet, go to youtube. "dry skin brushing"

Blessings,
    Cheri S.
    I must say first am so jealous because I would love twins! Next I will google that a little later and see what I can find because that is a new concept for me too. It may be effective though because there is still a lot science is learning every day. I wouldn't be surprised if the cure to a lot of common ailments was something very simple and not yet entirely discovered. :] Thank you.
  • BobbyMorgan
    Options
    I was doing some research on this myself. Maybe this will help.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/obesityhealth/a/blexcessskin.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Tip #1: Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly

In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin.
    Crash diets and excessive amounts of time spent exercising can rapidly shed both muscle and fat, resulting in a double-whammy on your skin--the supportive underlying muscular structure that holds skin against your body is lost, as is the fat that keeps the skin stretched out. Quick and dirty tip for not losing weight too quickly: Aim for 1-2 pounds of fat loss per week, and make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting so that you do not lose lean muscle. Check out more weight lifting and strength training tips here.

Tip #2: Stay Hydrated

Attend to your hydration needs. Water is a crucial component of maintaining skin elasticity. From both food and drink, you should be taking in at least two liters of water each day. A wonderful resource for learning more about proper hydration is this article from Nutrition Diva: How Much Water Should I Drink?

Tip #3: Eat Properly

Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. Quick and dirty protein tip: For optimum absorption, squeeze 100-200 calories of these protein sources in immediately after your workout. For more on what to eat when working out, see my article on what to eat before and after exercising.

Tip #4: Take Care of Your Skin

Nourish and care for your skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation. A hot bath with sea salts and minerals can improve skin tone. Skin tightening creams with herbal formulas and ingredients such as aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, soy protein, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A can help to hydrate and increase collagen and elastin formation in skin.

Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Quick and dirty tip: If you swim for fitness, use soap and shampoos that are specially designed to remove chlorine.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately i have this and ive never had kids lol. It seems id lose about 5 dress sizes if i just got rid. I heard Zumba is really good for that area x
    Wow well none for me I went up a lot of weight real fast with our first kid..not a lot with this one. I gained about 50+ lbs the first time though and went up to 215 :/ I will try Zumba thank you for the idea by the way!

I do zumba a couple of times a week and it works wonders on the underlying muscles, so when you do lose the weight the muscles are tight and it helps to pull everything in tighter. I am in a smaller size jean than I used to be at the same weight.. I love it, it feels like fun not exercize.
  • ZurvitaLeader
    Options
    We are BLESSED w/ our twins, they are fun. We actually prayed for them. They turn 6 this Thurs. :happy:

Dry skin brushing, it's got a lot of benefits that's fer sure! :-) Obviously, when done with all the other focus of taking care of the body; it works well. Diet, exercise, vitamins, a good night's sleep, ect....

Stay Blessed,
    ;-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That will definitely be a good idea because I am Vitamin D deficient by a lot and just found out.. I think it is best I try to up my intake and take my pills regularly because I read Vitamin D can help the skin a lot. Thank you for the suggestion for sure and I will look into it some more. :]

D can be fixed by drinking 2% milk!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    My mom's had three kids and has stretch marks and has been able to tighten her stomach back to almost perfect. She uses Bio-Oil to help with the stretch marks and has gotten herself down to about 105 lbs, with killer abs.
    Your mom sounds amazing and a lot of people mention bio-oil so I think I need to become familiar with it now! Thank you xoxo
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I was doing some research on this myself. Maybe this will help.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/obesityhealth/a/blexcessskin.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Tip #1: Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly

In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin.
    Crash diets and excessive amounts of time spent exercising can rapidly shed both muscle and fat, resulting in a double-whammy on your skin--the supportive underlying muscular structure that holds skin against your body is lost, as is the fat that keeps the skin stretched out. Quick and dirty tip for not losing weight too quickly: Aim for 1-2 pounds of fat loss per week, and make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting so that you do not lose lean muscle. Check out more weight lifting and strength training tips here.

Tip #2: Stay Hydrated

Attend to your hydration needs. Water is a crucial component of maintaining skin elasticity. From both food and drink, you should be taking in at least two liters of water each day. A wonderful resource for learning more about proper hydration is this article from Nutrition Diva: How Much Water Should I Drink?

Tip #3: Eat Properly

Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. Quick and dirty protein tip: For optimum absorption, squeeze 100-200 calories of these protein sources in immediately after your workout. For more on what to eat when working out, see my article on what to eat before and after exercising.

Tip #4: Take Care of Your Skin

Nourish and care for your skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation. A hot bath with sea salts and minerals can improve skin tone. Skin tightening creams with herbal formulas and ingredients such as aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, soy protein, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A can help to hydrate and increase collagen and elastin formation in skin.

Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Quick and dirty tip: If you swim for fitness, use soap and shampoos that are specially designed to remove chlorine.
    Sounds like a plan and thank you for sharing the ideas with me!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Unfortunately i have this and ive never had kids lol. It seems id lose about 5 dress sizes if i just got rid. I heard Zumba is really good for that area x
    Wow well none for me I went up a lot of weight real fast with our first kid..not a lot with this one. I gained about 50+ lbs the first time though and went up to 215 :/ I will try Zumba thank you for the idea by the way!

I do zumba a couple of times a week and it works wonders on the underlying muscles, so when you do lose the weight the muscles are tight and it helps to pull everything in tighter. I am in a smaller size jean than I used to be at the same weight.. I love it, it feels like fun not exercize.

I also hear a lot of people recommending Zumba lately, so I think I will have to try it. I don't want to be too small in pants, but I would like to be a 6 or 7 in U.S. jean sizes. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Zumba too because every time I hear something nice about it I feel more motivated to dance myself. :]
  • Verity1111
    Options
    We are BLESSED w/ our twins, they are fun. We actually prayed for them. They turn 6 this Thurs. :happy:

Dry skin brushing, it's got a lot of benefits that's fer sure! :-) Obviously, when done with all the other focus of taking care of the body; it works well. Diet, exercise, vitamins, a good night's sleep, ect....

Stay Blessed,
    ;-)
    You're definitely very lucky! I will pray for twins in the future too and see if it works. It may or may not be in the cards for me, but I would love multiples some day. I know you're right, but you lost me at sleep. It is difficult to find a lot of that with two babies under the age of two! lmso. Thank you. :]
  • Verity1111
    Options

D can be fixed by drinking 2% milk!
    Thank you and I know, but cows milk makes me gag very badly and I can't really keep it down so I drink soy milk.
  • wearizach
    Options
    Interesting article, I recommend the following blog http://looseweight.site11.com/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!