Any Zoloft users out there?

Options
I've been doing a lot of reading lately about Zoloft and weight gain. I've been taking some form of anti-depressant since I was about 17. About 4 years ago, my doctor increased my dosage of Zoloft to 100 mg/day because I was having some major issues with depression. I've noticed that ever since then, that's when I steadily started to gain about an average of 10 lbs per year. I'm hesitant to blame just the Zoloft, because I know that my eating and exercising habits were TERRIBLE during that time. However, I am wondering if the Zoloft does slow my metabolism. One of my doctors said I shouldn't gain any weight because of the Zoloft, but another said it was highly likely. Is anyone else taking Zoloft? How has it effected you?

Replies

• Nathmich2
    Nathmich2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've taken Zoloft for about 6-years. I'm on 100 mg. Yes, I did notice a weight gain when I went on it. But then again, I'm a woman in my 40's so the gain I'm sure is also related to mid-life hormones wreaking havoc on me. I tried going off of it about a year ago and felt like crap. So, I'd rather have a few extra pounds on me (I'd like to lose 20) and be happy than feel depressed all of the time.
  • dukee83
    Options
    I have been on Zoloft for about 6 months and I don't believe it has effected my weight. I need to loose quite a bit of weight, but I firmly believe that is a result of my terrible eating habits and lack of exercise. It is so hard to determine what is causing weight gain, since so many things can effect it! And so many things effect our mood and energy, which effect our eating and exercise, etc etc. Don't worry about the Zoloft, if you need to be on it, then you need to be on it! Keep up with your eating right and exercise habits and you'll be good to go!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I am one of the few that dropped weight when I started Zoloft (I was on 200mg/day). I bought my prom dress, had it taken in so it was almost too tight and then the day of prom, it was as loose as when I'd bought it.

If you are sticking to your calories, logging religiously and fitting in exercise whenever you can, the weight should be coming off, not going on.

Have you had success with other antidepressants in the past that didn't have a negative effect on your weight? I would talk to your doctor about switching brands/types of antidepressants if that's something you're interested in to see if it helps.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am taking an anti-depressant called Celexa for my anxiety. It has worked perfectly for me and has no weight side affects!!