New and a little confused

Options
Hey everyone, I can't tell you how much i love myfitnesspal so far!! I did have a question though, when you log your food and then log the exercise you did, it says that your calories you have left are plus whatever you just worked out. WHY?? are we supposed to use these calories, or stick with the number that you start with in the morning? Thanks for all your help, and i look forward to belonging to a support system, its the only one I have

Replies

• 4Him2live
    Options
    Hey everyone, I can't tell you how much i love myfitnesspal so far!! I did have a question though, when you log your food and then log the exercise you did, it says that your calories you have left are plus whatever you just worked out. WHY?? are we supposed to use these calories, or stick with the number that you start with in the morning? Thanks for all your help, and i look forward to belonging to a support system, its the only one I have
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    You will want to eat the calories you earned from exercise. If you do not then your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto to fat for later use. If you eat at least some of your exercise earned calories then you will loose weight. Alot of people are skeptical of this at first but when their body just wont budge and they cant figure out why then it all starts to make sense. So if you have 1250 to start and earn yourself 300 calories from exercise, you should be eating somewhere close to 1550.

Good luck on your weightloss! This site is wonderful in so many ways. Lots and lots of support and great people...:flowerforyou:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    The calories allotted for the day before exercise are already set for you to have weight loss. Lets say you are alloted 1400 calories (before exercise). That means if you sit on ;your bottom all day and you don't go over those calories-- then you will lose weight. When you exercise, you get 'earned calories' to eat. You should eat those!!!!! That is the benefit of exercising. If I know Im going to be eating out I will make sure I exercise enough that morning to allow me to have that hight calorie meal. You must be careful with your settings though. (Activity Level) Such as sedentary, lightly active, etc. Its better to underestimate and set it for sedentary or lightly active.

good luck!!!
  • 4Him2live
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your reply!! It does sound weird, but I will give it a try!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome.:flowerforyou: You might want to read this thread to help you understand. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions