Flat Feet and Vibrams

Options
So I'm a runner with completely flat feet and a problem with overpronation. In spite of these issues, I have been running several times per week for 13 years. I was told to wear large, heavy, motion-control shoes to compensate for my foot problems. I have worn the Brooks Ariel for several years (changing them every 400 miles!), and had pretty good luck with them.

Recently, however, I have not been able to run more than 6 miles without getting injured in some way. I get shin splints and knee twinges and end up having to take days, sometimes weeks off from running to heal. I do other forms of exercise during these times, but running is one thing in my life that makes me completely and totally happy. I dearly miss it when I'm out with an injury like I am right now.

I have read mixed reviews on people with flat feet running in Vibrams but I'm willing to try almost anything at this point to keep running. But I don't particularly feel like wasting a large chunk of money on shoes that won't work, or worse, will actually injure me.

If you have flat feet, or overpronate, have you tried the Vibrams or a similar shoe? What was your experience? And, what model did you buy? I don't have a particularly wide or large foot.

Thanks!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I over-pronate. I've sworn by New Balance, but that is because I also have wide feet.
  • mmcorner
    mmcorner Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Visit - http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

I have been a member with them and they have great service. They videotape your runs at their store and check your feet shape and then recommend the type of shoes / insoles you need. If you become a VIP member (currently discounted to $1.99 for a year) and buy shoes from them you get free shipping and replacement gaurantee for 3 months. You can try and test different shoes for your runs till you find your perfect fit. For example - You buy Vibrams and try it for anytime under 3 months and don't like it. They will adjust your money against another shoe which you can try. Keep going till you find the perfect pair. I goto the local store in Los Angeles but the always cater online if you cannot find one in your area.

You can also go for overpronation insoles with your Motion Control shoes for additional support.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't know what vibrams are, but have you looked into orthotics? I have a pair specially made for my feet that fit perfectly inside my running shoes. They make a world of difference, although they'll put you back a couple of hundred dollars for the molds (one time only). I have the flattest feet I've ever seen, but yet have been running since 6th grade (I'm in my 40s now!).
    Good luck.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't know about the try and buy policy at Road Runner and I actually AM a VIP member already. They always have good deals on Brooks so that's where I have been getting my shoes.

I actually used to run in New Balances but those were the first shoes to give my knees problems. I still have a few pairs for walking and casual activities.

As for the orthotics... I might have to go that route. I've had my run and foot examined a few times and they haven't recommended them in the past. But, I haven't had it looked at in probably 5 years. I have to think they're more expensive and even heavier than the Brooks Ariels but well worth it if they keep me running.

I'm still interested if anyone with flat feet has tried the Vibrams, which are the kinda creepy looking five toed barefoot shoes...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A cheaper alternative might be to try just cheapo water shoes, that way you can see how it goes without dropping much money. And as with any "barefoot" shoe, start slow. Do not run for very long or very far to start.