Healthy Concession Stands

Options
TCASMEY
TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
I am on the board of directors for our local swim club and me and another lady are in charge of getting the concessions stands stocked and manned for our home swim meets. The whole goal of the concession stand is to make money for the swim club to help keeps rates down for our families. Tonight I had a mother start talking to me about how we should have healthier choices. Like using free range eggs to make the brownies (really will that make the prepackage brownie mixes healthier?) Using organic butter and organic cheetos rather than the bran name....I really have never researched this but in my humble opionion cheetos are probably not that good for you organic or the brand name ones.

So enough venting, I thought I would ask here what would be some cost effective and healthy items to serve at a concession stand. We already have fruit like apples and banana, carrots and ranch dip, cheese sticks, granola bars and gogurt. We also sell hot dogs, candy, chips, pop, water and gatorade.

So again what would be healthy and cost effective?

Replies

• dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for cost-effective in order to raise money, then I don't think buying organic or free-range is going to help. You can still offer healthy choices, but maybe not to that extreme.

What about sandwiches or pizza bagels?

If those are too complicated with respect to food preparation, what about these individual snack ideas:
    Applesauce
    Fruit cups
    Bagels
    Muffins
    Mini-cereal boxes
    Milk
    Popcorn
    Rice cakes
    Sunflower seeds (w/o shells)
    Juice boxes
    Smoothies
    Beef Jerky
    Jello Cups
    Pudding Cups
    Raisins
    Dried Fruit
    Fruit Snacks
    Fruit Roll-ups
    Fruit Bars
    Cereal Bars
    Peanuts
    Cracker sandwiches
    Goldfish crackers
    Cheese & Crackers
    Trail Mix
    Pretzels

What are the facilities like? Do you have anything to cook with? Microwave? Stove?
    If so, what about grilled cheese sandwiches? soups? chili?
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    No cooking facilities so everything is premade. We have done pulled pork sandwiches, bbqs. We only do this 2-4 times a year so what we purchase or make we want to sell everything so we do not have to store or throw things away.

This parent really came down on muffins because they are not healthy. I tried to point out to her that this is not the way these kids eat all the time. Her concern was childhood obesity...sorry not too many of the swimmers coming through to purchase food are obese.

I think if organic, free-range is her choice then she needs to pack those things for her children to eat. I am a tight wad and the goal is to make money for the club so I am not going to buy organic butter at $6 per pound when I can get regular butter for $1.99. I just don't see going organic, free-range is going to help make money.
  • twinoakbob
    twinoakbob Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Organic Cheetos? - Really? :frown:
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Organic Cheetos? - Really? :frown:

That one kind of made me lose faith in anything else she had to say about healthier alternatives.