what are some low calorie meals made with avocado?

Options
I posted this on my profile status but woulf like to see what others make with an avocado? I bought just 1 avocado this weekend but have no idea what to make with it?! I know how to make gaucomole but that's it with avocado. So what do you make with them?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    With salt and pepper on fresh bread!! It has lots of fat, but it is good fat, so enjoy!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can smear it on a sandwich instead of cheese or mayo...much more health benefits from it while giving a similar texture.
  • karah0011
    karah0011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    alvacado and cheese sandwich

turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato, alvacado sandwich..delish!!!
  • karah0011
    karah0011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can also add it to any soup. Chop them into cubes...they keep their shape and do not get mushy. I always add them to tortilla soup after its finished. Yummy!
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    use it to top something with - make a turkey chilli and add it on top with some FF sour cream

Or just add salt and eat it straight out of the peel

Have a taco salad and add it on top

I usually use avacado as a garnish more than an actual meal - also my dogs love it so we share :-)
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am doing a low carb/low fat/high protein/count calorie diet and I just eat it "as is" as my side dish to add some carbs and good fats to my "limited" diet. You can use it instead of mayo on your sandwiches and wraps and add it to your salalds. I don't know if there is much you can do with it since once you cut it you have to eat it pretty much right away (except that the acid in quac keeps it from turning black).
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I like to make tostadas that are relatively low cal.

2 corn tostadas (depending on brand between 120 and 160 calories total for 2)
    Can of black beans drained and extra rinsed then mashed with a little water and salt to look like refried beans
    1/2 avocado (mash and mix into 1 serving of black beans and spread on tostada)
    Turkey meat browned with taco seasoning (weigh out a serving)
    Salsa
    Lettuce

Split the 1 serving of all the ingredients to make into two tostadas. Layer everything onto the tostada shells. Comes to under 500 calories and soooooo filling!!!
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Something like cajun spiced chicken with avocado and tomato salsa, I would do. Goes great with sweet potato if you want some carbs.
  • allnamesgone
    allnamesgone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat a spinach, strawberry, and blueberry salad often for lunch. If I have one, I cut up half an avacado in it. With that, I don't even need dressing.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's great cubed or sliced and put in a pita with grilled chicken, mushrooms, peppers,onions and a little Italian or ranch dressing.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    California Pizza Kitchen has a Cobb salad that is fantastic! I make them at home with reasonable portions of all the ingredients and use balsalmic dressing versus ranch or blue cheese. Here is a link to their menu -

http://www.cpk.com/menu/
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my profile status but woulf like to see what others make with an avocado? I bought just 1 avocado this weekend but have no idea what to make with it?! I know how to make gaucomole but that's it with avocado. So what do you make with them?

Add to tuna instead of mayo, or on any sandwich instead of mayo

on a turkey or Boca (veggie) burger
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad! Instead of using mayo, use half an avocado. Grill the chicken plain, no seasonings yet. Chop it into bite size pieces and toss with mashed avocado. Spritz with lemon juice and toss in slivered almonds and/or dried cranberries, season with salt and pepper to taste. You could eat in a lettuce wrap, too, for added crunch :)
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I like to use it on a Mission carb control tortilla -- I mash it all up and spread it on the tortilla with some lean/lower sodium deli chicken breast and make roll ups with it.

I also like to make what I call "fake" sushi with it -- I mash it up, spread it on sushi paper, and then add either cucumbers, carrots, and/or imitation crab legs. Roll it up and cut up just like sushi. Yum! My 5 yr old loves these too!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use avocados as one of my primary fat and fiber sources. Like prior posts, I add 1/4 avocado to my sandwiches (I also do turkey bacon BLTs) or on top of soups (homemade or canned) or on top of a grilled chicken salad. You can also stuff an avocado with shrimp or ceviche for a pretty appetizer.

Just experiment with it. They are great.
  • brittmg
    brittmg Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/229824387204040716/
    http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/229824387203792216_WX4k1a7K_b.jpg

I try to post healthy things on my recipe board on pinterest.

there is this one recipe that isn't all that healthy but switch the bun to whole wheat (or no bun) and just make the chicken burger and smear avacado on it!
    http://pinterest.com/pin/229824387203792205/
    I'm sooo hungry now.
  • alidav12345
    Options
    I like to put avacados on everything! It is really good on Baked chicken with a slice of ham or turkey and laughing cow cheese on top. Yum Yum!
  • Blessed_Mommy86
    Blessed_Mommy86 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This might sound kinda strange, but it tastes yummy! Place a fried egg (still a bit runny) on top of a slice of whole wheat toast, then place some sliced avocado on top of the egg. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top of the avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sop up the egg yolk with the toast as you eat.