Healthy, Lo-Cal Soups

Options
2»

Replies

• ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's not soup, but a good, healthy option is basic Creole red beans & rice (with brown rice or quinoa). I use a traditional recipe (you could probably Google it) and triple the veggies. E.g. instead of 1/4 red bell pepper, use the whole pepper; 3 stalks of celery instead of 1. It's delicious, filling and only about 250 calories.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, some of my favorites! I like this Rainbow Veggie Chili: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rainbow-veggie-chili/

I made a huge pot and broke it into smaller servings. Then you can opt to add in things like ground chicken/turkey, or lean beef, etc. as you use it, to give you more variety.

I also like the Weight Watchers "zero point" vegetable soup. It's awesome on it's own (season to taste) or you can do the same and build on it throughout the week by adding in things like chicken, white beans, lean ham, etc. For this one, I often cheat and buy things like a package of cole slaw mix without dressing (Fresh Express cole slaw blend) and pre-sliced items at the grocery, but that adds to cost. http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I did this one in the recipe builder on MFP and it came out to around 161 per seving (Made 6 hearty servings)

Ham, Cabbage and White Bean Soup:

Green cabbage, finely shredded – 3 cups
    Leeks - (bulb and lower leaf-portion), cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 1 cup, chopped or diced
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Onions - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Carrots - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Goya - Small White Beans, 1 container (14.5 oz can) – drained and rinsed
    Plumrose - Smokes Ham Steaks Water Added, 2 slices – chopped
    Garlic - Raw - 2 cloves, finely chopped
    College Inn - Chicken Broth 99% Fat Free, 1.5 container (6 cup (240ml) ea.)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Herbs de Provence – 1 tsp

Sautee garlic, onions, leeks, celery and carrots in cooking spray until wilted, around 5 minutes. Add in cabbage, beans, ham, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add seasonings to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour (or more, the flavors get better with time!)
  • DiamondEyes_x
    DiamondEyes_x Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Low calorie Chili

1 Can Bell Orto diced Tomatos

1 Can Chili Beans in Chili Sauce

2 C Water

1 and 1/3 cups

Morning Star Meal Starters Recipe Crumbles

1/4 cup each red, orange, green, and yellow peppers

1/4 cup chopped white onion

2-3 Tbsp Chili Powder

3 Garlic Cloves, chopped salt and pepper to taste

serves six 1 cup bowls

151 calories 25 carbs10 protein7 fiber2 fat (if using 12oz 97% fat free turkey burger, calories total 230 calories per 1 C bowl)

This sounds lovely!
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good low calorie soup recipes they'd be willing to share? My husband and I will cook a soup on Sunday and another on Wednesday for us to both eat for lunch throughout the week but all the recipes I have are pretty much all the same thing - either a "taco" type soup or "veggie" type soup. We need some more variety! Thanks in advance!

The ANYTHING Gourmet Signature Soup: Makes 4 servings. Mostly ANYTHING is optional if you don't have it.

Using a ceramic bowl. Add one frozen low calorie pasta dinner (any type will do, but marinara red sauces fair well)

Add any 3 root vegetable diced (Example: potato, carrot, celery)
    Add a leaf vegetable (Example: spinach, chard, kale)
    Add 2 cups of broth (Example: chicken, vegetable, etc.)
    Your Favorite Seasonings: (Example Italian, Red Pepper Flakes, Salsa)
    Any Fresh Herb
    1 can of ANY Legume (Example: Garbonzo Bean, Kidney Bean, Red Bean)
    Any Other Frozen Vegetable (Example: Corn, Green Beans, Peas)

Place in your ceramic bowl. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. If you have a microwavable dish with a cover, this turns out better. If not, you could use Saran wrap or not cover at all. Check to see if close to cooked. STIR. Additional 10 minutes or more as needed until the vegetables reach the consistency you want. Salt and pepper to taste. Add water if you want more broth.

Walah! Your ANYTHING GOURMET SOUP is served.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Look up weight watchers no point soup. It's nice and it's easy to make and also to vary
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    go to skinnytaste.com. they have great soup recipes. i am making a baked potato soup tonight from that site. yumm
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This can be easily halved but me and my husband (and my friend that had some at lunch today) love it!

Black bean veggie soup:

1 TBS EVOO
    2 onions, chopped
    4 carrots, chopped
    1 bag frozen peas
    1 bag frozen corn
    4 cans black beans rinsed and drained (or equal amount dry beans, cooked)
    4 cups vegetable broth
    4 cups water
    30 ounces tomato sauce, crushed tomato or strained (I use one box of Pomi strained)
    1 TBS cumin
    1.5 TBS chili powder
    1.5 TBS garlic powder
    1 TBS salt
    2 tsp pepper

Saute onion and carrots in EVOO. Put in crock pot and add peas, corn, broth, water and two cans drained black beans. Put the tomato product in food processor or blender with remaining beans and puree. Add this to the crock pot and stir to combine. Add spices and let heat through! This makes 20 1cup servings at about 160 calories a cup. We use organic, no sodium added products as well.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a weight watchers recipe from back in the day. Serves approximately 8 people

1 can chicken broth(14 oz)
    1 can fiesta corn (14 oz)
    1 can fat free refried beans (14 oz) (I do not drain mine)
    1 can black beans (14 oz)
    1 jar salsa

Simmer all ingredients together.

I serve with a little 2% shredded cheese, light sour cream, and crumbled organic blue corn chips.
    Quick, easy, and even my kiddos love it!

Edit for Nutritional Content (Per MFP Recipe creator)
    Calories 131
    Carbs 27
    Fat 1
    Protein 8
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurieAthGa
    Options
    I made this last week: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-veggie-chili-10000001694187/ (slow cooker veggie chili) Only 124 calories/serving!

It was really good. It didnt have a traditional chili taste....more like veggie soup. I added ground turkey b/c we like meat :) . Also, I didn't have tomato juice, so I just added extra tomato sauce and a little water.

Ingredients
    2 large carrots, diced (1 cup)
    2 celery ribs, diced (1/2 cup)
    1 medium-size sweet onion, diced
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 (8-oz.) packages sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 large zucchini, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
    1 yellow squash, chopped (1 cup)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
    1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
    3 cups tomato juice 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained $
    4 (15-oz.) cans pinto, black, great Northern, or kidney beans, rinsed and drained $
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn Preparation
    1. Sauté first 3 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and squash; sauté 3 more minutes. Add chili powder and next 2 ingredients, and sauté 5 more minutes.
    2. Stir together tomato sauce and tomato juice in a 6-qt. slow cooker until smooth. Stir in diced tomatoes, next 2 ingredients, and carrot mixture. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
    Note: Cool leftovers, and freeze in plastic freezer containers or zip-top plastic freezer bags for up to 2 months.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    These all sound really good! Thanks everyone!