Problems with binge eating?

Options
Does anyone else suffer from binge eating? I know a lot of you might say it's because I'm not eating enough or letting myself have the foods I love, but I binge even when I do. It's almost compulsive. Does anyone else feel they have compulsive binge eating? I mean, I binge even when I am not hungry sometimes. I just go into a manic mode and I don't know how to exit it.

Replies

• ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, then I feel extreme guilt. It's almost like I start and NOTHING can make me stop. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's bad news. I wish I had some advice, but I don't so maybe others will?
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do it when I get depressed and then I get even more depressed because I've binged....I don't binge as badly as I use too, but once I start I seem to have no control!!!!

Then I sleep on it and try and work out harder for the next few days!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Eeeee....I totally do! Any advice helps. I try to drink A LOT of green tea when I feel it coming:) I know people here don't like this either, but a couple of diet sodas help with the ''sweet fix"
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do too. What I have found that is helping me is to try to stop in that moment and think of a factor that triggered it -- I usually find it's I'm frustrated with my husband, work, or something else that has triggered an emotion. For me, this has kind of helped and even stopped me in my tracks sometimes because I'm acknowledging to myself what I'm upset about.

It doesn't always work that way, but it does help. I also stay away from my food triggers (which for me ar starchy carbs, junk food, etc.). Once I have that stuff, I go on a binge fest until I am literally miserable for a day. I do not deny myself a treat here and there, but for the most part, try to avoid them and only calculate them in on a special occasion.

I wish there was a magic pill for this but unfortunately it is an internal influence we must each learn to control.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If it's really a compulsive thing, you might need to talk to a counselor or someone else who can help you work through why those feelings are coming up. In the meantime, try to eat as healthily as possible - lots of lean meats and veggies. Keep healthy versions of the foods you binge on so you can at least minimize the impact on your waistline. Sorry I'm not more of a help. Good luck.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Eeeee....I totally do! Any advice helps. I try to drink A LOT of green tea when I feel it coming:) I know people here don't like this either, but a couple of diet sodas help with the ''sweet fix"

I have also talked myself out of a binge my "allowing" myself to have a diet coke! It actually has helped me talk myself down off a binge.
  • MasterAC
    Options
    Yeah, I totally feel ya dude. For me it feels like it's an addiction, like I'm addicted to whatever foods I binge on, and when I don't binge, I can feel my body calling to those foods. The only problem is, unlike an alcoholic, we can't just stop cold turkey and never eat food.

The think that has helped a little with me may sound simple or you've heard it before, but not bringing those foods into my apartment that I like to binge on, or that I know I'll binge on. This may seem like an impossible task because, at least from my situation, there are a ton of foods out there that I can binge on so that doesn't leave a lot for me to buy at the grocery store. But if I don't bring it home with me, a lot of times when I crave those sugary binges, I won't go out and get them, I'll stay in and munch on whatever foods I already have at home, which, if I've bought the things I should have, will be popcorn, carrots, oatmeal etc. I also use this method when I smoke J's and get the munchies (hope this doesn't offend any of you lol).
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Yeah I fight it every single day.

There are days that I just fight a monster. I drink a lot of water that day. I mean a lot. It keeps my mouth busy, and it is hard to eat when you have to pee a lot.
  • coke_zer0
    Options
    If it's really a compulsive thing, you might need to talk to a counselor or someone else who can help you work through why those feelings are coming up. In the meantime, try to eat as healthily as possible - lots of lean meats and veggies. Keep healthy versions of the foods you binge on so you can at least minimize the impact on your waistline. Sorry I'm not more of a help. Good luck.

I honestly think I need real help because I have compulsively eaten since I was probably 8 years old and I am almost 22 now.. I just do NOT want to admit it out loud. It's what got me to be overweight. I am not overweight anymore (but still trying to get to my goal which is hard with the binge eating) but I am horrified of my family knowing or being diagnosed with COE or BED or something. I also fear they wouldn't take me seriously because I am a healthy size. I also don't have the money..
  • coke_zer0
    Options
    Yeah I fight it every single day.

There are days that I just fight a monster. I drink a lot of water that day. I mean a lot. It keeps my mouth busy, and it is hard to eat when you have to pee a lot.

It's an everyday fight for me too.
  • coke_zer0
    Options
    Yeah, I totally feel ya dude. For me it feels like it's an addiction, like I'm addicted to whatever foods I binge on, and when I don't binge, I can feel my body calling to those foods. The only problem is, unlike an alcoholic, we can't just stop cold turkey and never eat food.

The think that has helped a little with me may sound simple or you've heard it before, but not bringing those foods into my apartment that I like to binge on, or that I know I'll binge on. This may seem like an impossible task because, at least from my situation, there are a ton of foods out there that I can binge on so that doesn't leave a lot for me to buy at the grocery store. But if I don't bring it home with me, a lot of times when I crave those sugary binges, I won't go out and get them, I'll stay in and munch on whatever foods I already have at home, which, if I've bought the things I should have, will be popcorn, carrots, oatmeal etc. I also use this method when I smoke J's and get the munchies (hope this doesn't offend any of you lol).

Haha no offence at all, I used to smoke everyday. I used to just get a ton of fruit and eat and eat and eat but the sugar is still bad. I basically quit smoking because of the munchies. I should try that but I always find my binge eating directs me to certain foods, like, oh I want to binge on chips. Chipschipschips, its all I can think about it chips.. for HOURS. It sucks!
  • coke_zer0
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replys so far!