college student?! HELP

Options
any body have any tips for college students on how to eat healthier when dealing with the cafeteria foods?! i know i could go get a salad every meal but i do want to keep myself satisfied also! AH HELP!

Replies

• runnerwithin
    Options
    the key is moderation. and if your school has the menus ahead of time fiddle with them in your tracker and then you can go in prepared.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Most college dining organizations have student advisory groups. Find out if your's has one and get on it! You aren't the only one on campus looking for healthy options at meals. If they don't talk to the people in charge. My son did and they were very cooperative. The started a "stirfry" station once a week and it was so popular they now have it every day. They are also offering more grilled items and for some items posting the nutritional breakdown (calories, protein, carb and fats). Become a "healthy eating" advocate!
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch. I'm broke between tuition, books, parking, etc. That way I know exactly what's going into my meal and I can count the calories before school and I can sit down and relax and not worry about things during lunch.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At my school there was always something grilled, salad bar and sometimes stirfry. You just have to walk around first to see what the option are before you just grab something. Otherwise, you'll just end up eating pizza like I did almost every day!
  • brightereyes
    Options
    I feel ya! My college's cafeteria is less than stellar, and as a freshman I have to be on a meal plan, so I don't really have other options unless I want to waste a thousand dollars. What I have done is write down everything healthy in the caf for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and write down what to avoid. I'm not sure how your cafeteria works, but here's what I've come up with.

Breakfast
    Eat: Bananas, oranges, 100 calorie smoothie, oatmeal, cup of yogurt like Activia
    Avoid: Cereal, pastries, bagels

Lunch
    Eat: Veggie cup, fruit, turkey/tomato/lettuce sandwich on flatbread, Odwalla bar
    Avoid: Prepackaged foods

Dinner
    Eat: Entrée of the day if it's healthy, or just get a side of veggies from the entrée place, soup, salad bar, healthy sandwich from sandwich bar
    Avoid: Prepackaged foods, cereal

You could try writing things out like this so you know what your options are when you go into the cafeteria and don't end up choosing unhealthy options out of frustration! Hope this helps!
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I uslly have to eat breakfast at school. Im stuck on a blt on wheat, a yogurt, and a small orange juice.
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I make my lunch and snacks the night before. I got myself a special salad container that keeps my dressing and toppings separate so everything stays fresh. I make healthy sandwiches, a baggie of fresh fruits and veggies, a rubbermaid container of yogurt or dips, Lara or Clif bars. It's working for me, and much cheaper than eating from the cafeteria.