I'm Crazy

Options
So i decided to sign up for the Run for your Lives 5k zombie run! I wanted to challenge myself this year so here it is! Thankfully its in Oct. because i've never run a day in my life!

I've got Couch to 5k on my phone and i am ready to go!

Has anyone had any experience with just starting our running?? Any pointers or advice??

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I completed the highmark C25k training and completed my first 5k. I was not a runner, the first day we ran for 60 seconds and walked for 3. I nearly died, yep it was 12:30 pm in the summer. But guess what it got easier follow the schedule and I was able to get mp3 on my cell phone that made it so easy. It indicated when to runand when to walk. And i loved it. i was so confident and excited when I ran my race. It was the best feeling ever.

You can and will go from walking and puffing to running and smiling.

By the way I am Now trainign for a half marahon, call me crazy because I feel just like you. But we can and will do it .
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    My advice.....set small milestones for yourself. I never did the couch to 5k thing but...I literallly was walking one day and decided I had this urge to run. So i started. First time I went for a run, I set a goal...ok...from here to, that lamp post.....then, I would walk and find another marker and say, ok, when I hit there I run again...then I'd say, i'll run to that street. Next time I went out....I would try and say, I'm going to skip the walk in between and go from here to that street.....I would DIE but I am soooo stubborn I would just do it.....baby steps.....Just remember when running
    1) Dont clench your fists or let your shoulders tense up...keep everything loose and put all your energy into the legs....loose and limber...
    2) make SURE you have good running shoes
    3)music you like doesnt make good running music....hahaha...it has to be super up beat...sometimes the hip hop stuff i like made terrible running music..
    4)drink lots of water after and MAKE sure your stretch when your done!!!!!!!!! Soooo important
    5) listen to your body...there's a difference between 1st running pain and actual body pain so if something really hurts..stop and figure out what's wrong.

GOOD LUCK! I used to run ALL the time!!! then i got pregnant and had terrible sickness and stopped.... I had my daughter 9 months ago and just havent given myself the kick in the pants I need to start...but it really is the most freeing awesome feeling ever!