Probably Best for Women only (I said probably but opinions a

Options
Menstral cycles can be exhausting and make me feel depressed even! I almost feel like for 1 week out of a month, it's ok to just not care what I eat. Is there any medical proof that this is ok? :<)

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you're OK with going over your calorie goal and not losing weight, sure.

You might need a few more calories during menstruation... not sure about that... but nowhere near the level of just stuffing your face for a whole week.
  • Foskeylady
    Foskeylady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know, this is more of a venting post, but seriously was wondering if our bodies during this time require a bit more for our energy levels. I just feel so run down.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    For the most part I believe the answer is YES. You do need a little more calories... but only a little. Try your darndest to stay away from extra sodium (or any if possible) and be sure to drink lots and lots of water. No matter what you consume for water usually try to up it by a couple glasses a day. It will help you to feel more full, and will help with bloating :flowerforyou:
  • mlybrn
    mlybrn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always crave chocolate and sugary foods when I've got my TOTM, to the point where I stuff myself without registering what's going in. While that's not healthy either, life is too short to leave yourself miserable. Have a small treat here and there for that one week, but make sure it's only for that week and it doesn't turn into a binge! And only have it if you really, really want it.
  • ttwsweet
    Options
    Totally hear ya! I blew it, calorie-wise, for three days leading up to that TOTM... but sort of validated it by taking an extra long walk one day and hitting the weights harder on another. I didn't lose a single pound that week... but figure, at least everyone around me, got through it unscathed! :)
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get the chocolate squares and let myself have one when I'm having bad day, but going overboard 25% of the time won't help you reach your goals or keep you there once you reach them.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of hormone problems that cause me to be out of control for 2 weeks out of the month. For real, I feel like a crazy monster has taken over my body the 2 weeks leading up to AF. It's so horrible. So 2 weeks I do really well and 2 weeks I do TERRIBLE! That's why losing is taking me so long, 2 steps forward, 1 back. Blah. Being a woman sucks sometimes.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise to get your energy level up. Sounds counterintuitive, but it works.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know what you mean, I feel ravenous at that time. I just want to eat all the time. I try to eat some good treats that don't have to be horrible. Fiber One brownies are really yummy for when you are craving chocolate, otherwise going over a bit on "bad" days is ok.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    All you TOM posters.....just weight for menopause, that's the real struggle :(
  • charrn66
    Options
    Caution... you may be feeling a bit run down because you are becoming a bit anemic (not enough red blood cells). Check with your doctor first, but you may need an iron supplement, not more calories.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    You need to be more selective about your eating. Planning, planning, planning. If you know your week is coming, then plan meals around less caloric, higher density food. Use that week to go vegetarian once a month.IDk if there are foods you dont eat, but you can eat a pound of broccoli,eggs, fish or turkey, and green vegetables or fruit several times a day and keep calories easily under 1400. Easily.

You know its coming each month, dont wait for it to show up and then seem clueless. Plan. factor in regular eating to keep your energy from waning. Figure out what you will eat daily, and then split it up into however many meals you need to.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Caution... you may be feeling a bit run down because you are becoming a bit anemic (not enough red blood cells). Check with your doctor first, but you may need an iron supplement, not more calories.

Ditto! I also heard that chocolate has a lot of iron which is probably the reason for the cravings.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether you are trying to conceive or some other medical reason you cannot take birth control you might talk to your doctor about taking the pill continuously for 3 months (skipping the week of sugar pills you take to get your cycle) so it cuts down on the number of cycles you have. This could help with the hormone and craving fluctuations as well.

I know I have to take BC because of heavy and painful periods after having my daughter and my doctor told me that if the pill helped regulate (I was getting my cycle twice a month) but was not helping the other issues that I could do one cycle every 3 months.

Other than that the only advice I have is try to be as good as possible and not binge.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I eat more protein, especially protein with lots of iron, like red meat. You lose iron during your TOM, because, well...blood has iron in it...:wink:
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    All you TOM posters.....just weight for menopause, that's the real struggle :(

A prophetic misspelling of wait, perhaps? I've just started menopause so am now falling on both sides of the fence, never knowing when TOM with come, or as I said to my DH, TOQ - time of quarter. LOL. and then feeling crap when it does. My DH's response is usually that he has it worse because he has to shave every day. Come ON!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Actually your caloric requirements really are not increased during your cycle, but emotion makes us eat more. You need to eat more iron rich foods to replace what is lost, but overall it is a pretty passive process. It's all about snacking sensibly. I personally go for white cheddar popcorn and sugarfree fudgesicles. Satisfies both of my cravings without being super high in calories.
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ugh, mine was last week. I over ate on several different days and now I am so mad at myself. Its like I was an uncontrollable eating machine. I hate TOM weeks.
  • happylittleclam
    Options
    You need Iron. And water.

Those two will stop your cravings.
  • Foskeylady
    Foskeylady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I plan on getting on the treadmill and/or stationary bike tonight when I get home, it does make you feel better and seems so backward in thinking!